Choices: Backing Up Pc Audio Files

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhd1953

Reaction score
Are you backing up your pc audio files?
Why wait for that big surprise when your hard drive crashes forever!

I have 3 500 GB drives for music and video files. Backup is another pc with a Netcell RAID level 3 disc array (with a 4 bay/SATA hot swap housing 3 250 GB drives for 450 GB of protected files) and external networked Western Digital MyWorldBook (1 terabyte).

It's a real pain re-ripping all your cds and dvds, so back up.

A new (killer) backup system is freedom9's freeStor 4020. This is a free standing server, network (Gigabit Ethernet) connected, with 4 hot swap SATA bays, RAID levels 0, 1, 5, or 10, AND will back up (save disc images of) pcs which are connected to the network. About $540, you add up to 4 1TB hard drives.
-you can access files from any network connected pc.
-RAID 0 is striping(adds the discs), RAID 1 is mirroring (the same files are written to both drives), RAID 5 (basicly is redundant, if any one drive fails you replace it and it is rebuilt/restored), RAID 10 is out of my area.
-You also can restore your pc across the network from the backup disc image.
-Anyway the freeStor 4020 is not a Microsoft Windows pc!!!http://www.freedom9.com/products/product.php?p=17

This will be my next purchase!

I currently stream internet radio and WinAmp playlists to my audio system and am working to connect my pc video to my tv and audio system.

A recent 'The Absolute Sound' article noted that music files on hard drives can sound as good as the very best cd players (with a good pc sound card, of course). It may be that ripping audio cds is more of a "digital" transfer that avoids problems that occur at 1x speeds. Meaning I can rip audio cds using my $50 dvdr/cdr drive and listen to audiophile quality wav files.

If you haven't upgraded you DVDR within the past year, you should. Not only do dvds rip in less than 5 minutes, but audio rips with no errors at full speed (46x, whatever). Note: the only reason the audio cds rip slower is that the artist and track title info is being retieved from the internet databases. I use WinAmp Pro, by the way.

Last edited:
Back