Changing speaker systems,I'm going to miss you all!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that link, JonFo. That guy was a bit harsh. I've heard the Wilson Audio Sophia's and I thought they sounded very nice. In fact I was considering them before I heard the Summits. But I have to say the Summit was a superior speaker to my ears and that's why I bought them. I've never heard the other Wilson Audio models - but I'm sure they'd sound okay.

Curious Statman, do the Watts need alot of room around them or can they be used in smaller rooms say..........15ftw x 12ftd x 10ft tall?

I have heard that Watts are very,very efficient, is that true?

Aren't you going to miss the ML's midrange? What do the Watts do to make up for it?

Thanks in advance.

Jon Fo,

I read the article. I've also read Hardesty's take on the Wilson's. I used to visit Richard Hardesty's store in Huntington Beach. He's always had a different opinion on audio. I remember he loved Audio Research's interconnect cables and I didn't. He loved Mark Levinson 33 mono amps and suddenly switched to Theta amps when they became available? Everyone has there own opinion. Even our beloved Martin Logans aren't loved by everyone,oh well? Ever notice that you never hear owners of these speakers both ML or Wilsons sit there and bash the speaker for what it doesn't do? Maybe we are too busy listening and enjoying music. A lot of it happens to do that they are expensive and not affordable for most and are going to get knocked just for that. I buy what works for me not some reviewer. He doesn't sign my paycheck. :rolleyes:

Longhorn,

The midrange of Martin Logan is I believe is what draws all of us in? The Watt/Puppy's can't match the Logans in that region note for note as well but do a pretty good job IMHO. They do however convey micro and macro dynamics with ease. I am sure that has to do with them being very efficient. They also make up in the detail of instuments. I have never heard a drum sound so realistic. Just like the Logans you can hear the skin when hit, but you can also hear the impact when the stick hits the skins. Imaging is very accurate and allows you to hear the placement of the musicians. I personally haven't heard the Watt/Puppys in a smaller room. I know they work due to the fact that they work well in mixing studios. My dealer has set them up in rooms that size and they do work. The Watt/Puppys were designed as a location monitor that became a loudspeaker adapted for home use.

Last edited:
Statman said:
Jon Fo,
I have never heard a drum sound so realistic. Just like the Logans you can hear the skin when hit, but you can also hear the impact when the stick hits the skins.
Not the best at imaging, but unequaled on drum skins - Melior. However it misses the boat on high end extension and sizzel.

panels.jpg

http://www.museatex.com/planar1.htm

It's built like a drum, and nothing I've heard even comes close. It's like those instruments which play themselves at Disneyland.

You want cymbals?

Gotta have one of these.
monkey_cymbals.jpg

Loved the Wilson Sophia 1... loved the WP7 also.

I'm very happy for you and your new system! I hope it gives you many years of loyal service and friendship.

Geez, I have to stop talking like a weirdo. :(

Vern, there you are...okay...okay...I bought the Odysseys from Vern and what a difference from my past SL3's. See my system for more information. Both me and Vern (Statman) are part of a small Martin Logan...er...I guess it should be now called a "High End Stereo Club" in the Los Angeles area. Great friends with pizza, music, and movies :rolleyes: exchanging front end gear and interconnects. The Wilson Watt Puppies have a better percussion sound but are not as up front as the Martin Logan Odysseys. They sound as if they are coming from a stage rather than in front of the panels. In other words the sound stage is further back. Believe it or not when we exchanged the speaker cables on the Wilsons to Synergistic Research the sound moved to where the Martins were normally heard but the sound wasn't as smooth. As with any changing of speakers or back up equipment, everything has their pro and cons. The Wilson's did a great job on the DVD "Private Ryan"

Last edited:
Ah.. so you're the guy Vern sold his speakers to....

The puzzle is beginning to fit... ;) .

If I were to leave stats...I'd definitely have to go to the acapella's. That plasma tweeter makes me drool. Also a MAJOR conversation piece. (cause isn't that the main reason we have stereos? :p) Might be a very cool thing to just buy the tweeter (which they sell seperately) and play with mating it into whatever system you've got. I'd love to add one to a pair of stats...

Latest posts

Back