Call me crazy but they (magic dots) work!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a pack of Ferraris, or a bunch, or a herd, or a pod? If that is a California, a Daytona, and a 275 or GTO, they aren't just beautiful they are $$$$$$$$$, combined they are worth Millions. Oh wait a minute does that prove they are beautiful if people are willing to spend millions of dollars to own them. Inquiring minds want to know. And does gravity have any effect on falling or the rising prices of Ferraris?And if you buy one and the financial world collapses and the price drops so much that it feels like you fell out of a chair onto the floor real hard....... oh never mind, science can't explain successful businessmen paying ridiculously astronomical prices for old cars either.

science can't explain successful businessmen paying ridiculously astronomical prices for old cars either.

Just remember. It's just a price and it's all relative to their income (usually).

Yeah, well Sir Fig Newton actually didn't come upon the right ingredients until Sir Isacc Newton cut down the tree in his investigation of gravity and of course the tree was the home of a Mr. Keebler, Keebler talked Fig into using figs so that the Newton brothers would go away and leave him and his height challenged friends alone in the woods.

A veritable breakthrough

My oh my. We are now talking about the theory of gravity or something to that effect. Fine with me. Funny how topics morph. :D

The breakthrough.

Mr. Winer and I agree on something. Analysis Audio speakers.

I, too, found their sound quite compelling when I heard them at the 2007 RMAF. This was, IMHO, the second best exhibitor I heard. The first was the MBL room.

Caveat. I only spent one day at the RMAF.

GG

Analysis ......well sound to analytical for me ! They are good but better ribbons can be had for better $$ spent IMHO...Can I prove it Scientifically ! No, but To my ears yes !

As we skeptics say, extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof.

WARNING - POTENTIALLY CONDESCENDING CONTENT AHEAD:

To the contrary, I think the only "extraordinary claim" being made here is that:

* 2008 science is complete;
* we know everything;
* there is nothing more to learn;
* there is nothing more to discover.

That said, I think Ethan has certainly made me realise that there is more to specs and measurements than we give credit for - muchly because we measure such a small portion of what there is to measure. For example, measruing THD at 1kHz is only looking at 1/∞ the audible spectrum! Of course it's going to be useless looking at this in isolation!

I guess a better question would be "are we capable of measuring and analysing as much data as we would need to have more accurate specs?" I'm NOT going to say "totally useful" specs!

That's why this thread has been so great.

Last edited:
Mr. Winer and I agree on something. Analysis Audio speakers.
I imagine if you and I sat down for a few beers, we'd find we agree on 98 percent of things. :food12:

This was, IMHO, the second best exhibitor I heard. The first was the MBL room.
I didn't make it to the show personally, but my company treated the Analysis Audio room. As I recall we provided about a dozen panels, and I'm sure that contributed at least a little to the excellent sound. :D

--Ethan

I have every confidence that your product helped.

98%? Could be a stretch but I've been known to be wrong in the past.

GG

If you know of anyone in my area who has ESLs, and a decent room so I can hear what the speakers really sound like, I'd love the chance to hear them.

--Ethan
If it still exists, and still have floor models, Tweeter on Mill Plain Road in Danbury might have a pair.

Marigo Labs

Hi. I know there are more questions waiting for my replies. Commitments to customers and distributors for my products come first. This is my choice. Hope you understand.
Question: how would you like the ML forum (assuming you're there talking about ML speakers) if nobody there had ever heard any Martin Logans? Robert Harley Editor of TAS this month quoted Linn's founder Ivor Tiefenbraun "if you haven't heard it, you don't have an opinion." To be frank, this is my sentiment also. Anybody object if I give away free product to this group to test and report their findings? If okay, I'll send a phono cartridge tuning Dot to anyone with any level of turntable setup. Let me be clear. You might have a $5K tonearm and $5K cartridge. You get to install a $3 Dot that weighs 40 mg. That's .04 gram. You don't really even need to reset the tracking force. Email me your address and I'll mail it right out. No promo literature. Just a Dot. I look forward to your comments. Some of you do not have turntables, but sorry I'm not giving away the window Dots which is under discussion at times in this thread.

Hi there:

I'd love one!

I'm in your neighborhood. Give me a dot and I'll buy you lunch!
Happy to give it a try.

Hi. I know there are more questions waiting for my replies. Commitments to customers and distributors for my products come first. This is my choice. Hope you understand.
Question: how would you like the ML forum (assuming you're there talking about ML speakers) if nobody there had ever heard any Martin Logans? Robert Harley Editor of TAS this month quoted Linn's founder Ivor Tiefenbraun "if you haven't heard it, you don't have an opinion." To be frank, this is my sentiment also. Anybody object if I give away free product to this group to test and report their findings? If okay, I'll send a phono cartridge tuning Dot to anyone with any level of turntable setup. Let me be clear. You might have a $5K tonearm and $5K cartridge. You get to install a $3 Dot that weighs 40 mg. That's .04 gram. You don't really even need to reset the tracking force. Email me your address and I'll mail it right out. No promo literature. Just a Dot. I look forward to your comments. Some of you do not have turntables, but sorry I'm not giving away the window Dots which is under discussion at times in this thread.

Ron,

Can you explain more about the window dot's? How they work...? Why place them in the corners? etc..

Not asking for secret info but any that you can reveal is greatly appreciated and maybe can solve some questions.

thanks

I'm not very familiar with the science of acoustics but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

My guess would be that they (the magic dots) work similar to those shock dampers that you put in between tennis racquet strings.

Sorry!

Hi Ron,

RE: Window tuning dots

I believe I was a bit presumptuous and apologize for that.

I hope / trust other members will understand.

When you have time, I do hope you will have time to respond to my buddy's question (jtwrace) regarding the window dots. Jason, myself, and others, I am sure, would appreciate your technical observations.

Best regards,

Gordon

Unfortunately I don't have a turntable, but I am eagerly awaiting people who try this and their replies! Can't wait!!

Of course, hopefully more than one or two people will try this so we get near to a statistically significant result. No point one person saying they like it (sorry).

Dots

I will most certainly try a dot for the table.:rocker:
What do you have to lose?

Thanks for the offer!!!:bowdown: This should be interesting.

Doug - out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back