Blu-ray, HD DVD, Microsoft and Intel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruppy

Reaction score
For those interested in HD vs. Blu-ray:

DVD Fight Intensifies
By Ken Belson The New York Times September 27, 2005
Microsoft and Intel are throwing their full weight behind one side in the long-running battle over the format for the next generation of high-definition DVD's.

Tuesday the two companies will announce that they are backing the HD-DVD format developed by Toshiba over the Blu-ray standard championed by Sony, Matsushita Electric, Samsung and others. Microsoft announced in June that it would work with Toshiba to develop high-definition DVD players. Now, Microsoft and Intel say they will develop software and chips that will allow personal computers to play the next-generation DVD's from Toshiba......

Here's the rest of the story from the av science forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585019

Well, of course they are going to back HD-DVD. Why would they back something that will be in Sony's PS3??? This is news???? Now if Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 would be able to play HD-DVDs out of the box...that would be news. :)

KCWolfPck said:
Well, of course they are going to back HD-DVD. Why would they back something that will be in Sony's PS3??? This is news???? Now if Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 would be able to play HD-DVDs out of the box...that would be news. :)

I think the real news here is the fact that Intel is stepping into the fight. Remember that to Intel, the manufacturers on the other side of the ring are also customers. That is the real news as one would expect Microsoft to take the stance they have taken. Can anyone say BETA vs VHS? :D

With all these format wars still going on and new formats coming up each year it's kinda of ironic that vinyl is still chugging along. Is vinyl making a small comeback? It seems so with new releases and more turntables on the market these days. Of course there is no threat of it taking over any format but it does a great job of never leaving its analog format.

Speaking of this old format, I just bought the brand new released Rolling Stones double album on vinyl "A Bigger Bang". It's actually a pretty good record especially if your a stones fan.

Craig said:
With all these format wars still going on and new formats coming up each year it's kinda of ironic that vinyl is still chugging along. Is vinyl making a small comeback? It seems so with new releases and more turntables on the market these days. Of course there is no threat of it taking over any format but it does a great job of never leaving its analog format.

Speaking of this old format, I just bought the brand new released Rolling Stones double album on vinyl "A Bigger Bang". It's actually a pretty good record especially if your a stones fan.

Vinyl out sells DVD-A and SACD combined.

Zip3kx07 said:
I would agree, DJ's love to scratch the hell out of it all day long.

:eek: Why would you want to scratch a perfectly good SACD or DVD-A? They have resale value.

jjqiv said:
:eek: Why would you want to scratch a perfectly good SACD or DVD-A? They have resale value.
Do you here that banging sound? That my head hitting the keyboard.

I agree that vinyl out sells SACD and DVD-A. One of the leading contributors would be DJing. Lots and lots of people are getting into DJing, these days, and what do DJ's use the most? Vinyl, and they are consistently wanting new stuff. Lots of people my age are getting into it because it’s trendy and cool, quality has nothing to do with it.

Zip3kx07 said:

I agree that vinyl out sells SACD and DVD-A. One of the leading contributors would be DJing. Lots and lots of people are getting into DJing, these days, and what do DJ's use the most? Vinyl, and they are consistently wanting new stuff. Lots of people my age are getting into it because it’s trendy and cool, quality has nothing to do with it.

Now that is funny!!!! I could just picture you hitting your head on the keyboard and hollering out "You missed the point!" Thanks for making me laugh! :D

Zip3kx07 said:

Banging your head? Why are listening to some AC/DC? Get it? Head banging music... Ah... Never mind.

We will definitely have to disagree on the quality issue though. I didn't get back into vinyl because I thought it was trendy. Same goes for tubes!

DJ's? Most of the people I see shopping for vinyl are not DJ's. Maybe like 20%. Most DJ's I've seen lately in action lately, though I rarely every see a DJ in action, spin CD's these days. Can you say weddings. Boy, did I ever see a hot band a wedding a few weeks ago. I heard it from a distance and had to stick my head in. It was a Mexican big band. Clarinets, trombones, saxes, trombones, a double bass, a tuba, and one of the best drummer that I have ever heard.

MarkNewbie said:
Now that is funny!!!! I could just picture you hitting your head on the keyboard and hollering out "You missed the point!" Thanks for making me laugh! :D

No, I didn't miss the point. It was my own attempt at humor.

Well back to the point. Again, it is no big surprise that Microsoft would not support Sony's new format (and Intel is along for the ride just like old times) because these 2 companies are competitors in the super lucritive entertainment delivery space.

Microsoft is up to its old tricks again spreading FUD regarding Sony's new format, trying to sound like it is on the side of the consumer. Hogwash!!!

Ridiculous claim #1: Poor DVD manufacturers will not want to switch over to Blu-Ray manufacturing because of the cost. Yes we all want to save money but these manufacturers will make a profit regardless so why don't we as the consumer demand the better technology even if the manufacturer is going to have to spend a little more. They will still make millions of dollars and we will not have to upgrade formats for the next 20 years.

Ridiculous claim #2: Blu-Ray will not launch with a 50Gb capacity and such capacity may be years away. OK this is on the verge of infinite stupidity. Not even Toshiba (who invented the HD-DVD standard and is its biggest backer) is saying this. If Sony can put a Redbook CD layer and a DVD layer (yes SACD is actually a DVD with a proprietary codec called DSD and no video support) on the same disk, then they can surely put 2 Blu-Ray layers on the same disk. Especially if they have 8 layer disks running in their R&D labs!

Ridiculous claim #3: And this one is a dozy. It really does harken back to Microsofts old school FUD roots where they try to sound like they are on the side of the consumer. Microsoft supports HD-DVD because a feature called Managed Copy is mandatory on HD-DVDs. Managed Copy allows for the purchaser to make at least one copy of the content on the HD-DVD. While Managed Copy is mandatory for HD-DVD, it is only optional on Blu-Ray. The copywrite holder does not have to allow copying of content of a Blu-Ray disk. So it sounds like HD-DVD may be better for consumers after all, right? Nope. What Microsoft only says in passing is that the copyright holder can charge the consumer for each copy made and of course the copyright holder determines the price. Do you think movie studios or record companies are going to let consumers make copies for free? Really? What do you think they woud charge a consumer to copy content off of an HD-DVD?

Did someone mention the consumer's right to fair use? We purchased the damn thing, can't we make copies of it just like cassette tapes and CDs and VHS for free? Yes our fair-use rights evaporated when Congress passed the DMCA. It is illegal in the USA to make a copy of a DVD because it is encrypted. And however weakly the encryption may be it is still against the law to circumvent it. This argument has held up in court and actually put a company out of business because its software could copy DVD content.

Last edited:
socialxray said:
Did someone mention the consumer's right to fair use? We purchased the damn thing, can't we make copies of it just like cassette tapes and CDs and VHS for free? Yes our fair-use rights evaporated when Congress passed the DMCA. It is illegal in the USA to make a copy of a DVD because it is encrypted. And however weakly the encryption may be it is still against the law to circumvent it. This argument has held up in court and actually put a company out of business because its software could copy DVD content.

You're 100% right. These companies are greedy. I wonder when Book Publishing companies are going to tell us "we can't loan out a book to our friends."

socialxray... Dude, you are right on...

socialxray,

I agree with you 100%, also....

We will just have to hunker down and wait out these, extremely unnecessary, formate wars. :rolleyes:

Blue-ray, is really, vastly superior from everything that I have read... :rolleyes:

Oh well only time will tell...

-Robin

Back