Oppo BDP-93 (successor to BDP-83). Any early thoughts?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being an Oppo BDP83 user myself I'm pretty happy with the overall performance . The only flaws I've noticed in terms of the sound quality is a slight lack of low bass. I wonder if the 93 suffers the same.

FYI I've just been speaking to a couple of modifiers for both the Oppo players (83 and 93). Last one I spoke to was Jena Labs. According to all of them the 93 is no where as near as musical as the 83.

Speaking of the Oppo 93, I had an interesting experience with it during a snow storm this past Sunday.

On Saturday night I unpacked and setup a new Sony 90ES 3D projector with a 120 inch HP screen and used the Oppo 93 hdmi 2 direct to the Sony and hdmi 1 hooked to the Integra 80.1 for sound.

Now initially there was a small issue, in that I could not get sound if hdmi 1 was hooked up to the projector and hdmi 2 was hooked to the Integra, this was the recommended setup by Sony but it did not work. However hooking it up the other way around worked perfectly. I will follow up with Oppo to see why...but I digress.

Anyway, there was a snowstorm outside Sunday night and the wife agreed to watch a movie in 3D. We chose Christmas Carol with Jim Carey and there are a couple of scenes in it where it starts to snow. We had just taken the dogs out not 5 minutes earlier and the intensity of the snow had picked up quite a bit. Then during the first snow scene in the movie, OMG for just a split second I thought there was something seriously wrong with our house as snow started falling all over the room. It was falling from the ceiling and some of it was only an inch or two from my nose and not only could you see the snow falling all around you but you could hear it as well. It was unreal, no it was real....I mean, you could hear the snow landing all around you in all Martin Logan sound field.

My wife usually doesn't care for any of the technology that I work so hard to acquire.....but 3D blew her away. She said she liked it better than anything I had shown her so far.

Again, anyway the point is so far the Oppo 93 has had only one small quirk and it was easy to work around. By the first of the year, I will have run it through all phases of playback, probably mulitple times.....but so far so good, I hope it gets released soon:D

By the way, the above desription is no exaggeration, the snow was real....I mean it seemed real, how good is that?

If you decide you don't need the 83 any more in the future, PM me a price... I might be able to work something out. Maybe that can be my excuse to check out your combo? ;-)

By the way, the above desription is no exaggeration, the snow was real....I mean it seemed real, how good is that?

That sounds like an amazing experience being engulfed in sight and sound:cool:

I had no idea that home 3D was so advanced. Didn't this just come out? I really thought that there would be a lag between introduction and the perfection you described.

That sounds like an amazing experience being engulfed in sight and sound:cool:

I had no idea that home 3D was so advanced. Didn't this just come out? I really thought that there would be a lag between introduction and the perfection you described.

Yes, it just came out. I am a technocrat, it is a curse really, but I am usually one of the first if not the first to try out new technology. The new Sony 90ES is an amazing piece of kit, as Justin would say. I got one of the first units in the country and so far it is delivering an experience that is utterly amazing.

So far everyone that has seen the snowstorm has been dumbfounded....but in a good way.:D

Yes, it just came out. I am a technocrat, it is a curse really, but I am usually one of the first if not the first to try out new technology. The new Sony 90ES is an amazing piece of kit, as Justin would say. I got one of the first units in the country and so far it is delivering an experience that is utterly amazing.

So far everyone that has seen the snowstorm has been dumbfounded....but in a good way.:D

Do you find the Sony unit bright enough? I have a Runco VX1000c which outputs 1500 ansi lumens. The Sony specs says 1000 ansi lumens. I sometimes think my unit is too dark... However, all the good reviews on the 90ES is really tempting me!

I just posted the following in the $3000 and up digital projector section of AVS forum under the Sony VPL-VW200 thread.

Okay for what it is worth, which is not that much

I have a 120 inch HP 2.8 screen, with the Sony 90ES set exactly dead center to the HP screen at 19 feet 5 inches. I have both Sony glasses and Xpand glasses.

As I think I previously reported, I watched Alice in Wonderland and was pretty impressed. Out of the box it seemed a little darker but that is in comparison to 2D which is noticeably brighter. So after a couple minutes I was fine with brightness. The main thing that I was worried about was ghosting. That is what was the determining factor when I bought my Panny VT25. I had my own source material, which was still images and videos captured on a Fuji W3. I went around to several different places and tried viewing my material on each TV and I had a few still photos that had logos or text in the background that showed ghosting on every TV I tried. Obviously the Panny was the best IMO and showed the least amount of ghosting, but there still was some there. I decided to live with it and bought the Panny.

Now in this thread I have been reading about major ghosting on the Sony and then a couple posts later that ghosting was non-existant. This made me nervous as I waited for my 90ES to arrive and since I kept my VW200 I was worried about 2D PQ as well.

Okay, so I watched A Christmas Carol, and frankly it was an experience that I have difficulty in describing. First, again no ghosting, not a little, not some here but not there, NONE, nada. And the scene in the beginning where it is snowing. Well my wife was blown away and so was I. My wife is an unbelieveable critic, she doesn't like my sports car collection, she doesn't like my motorcycle collection, she doesn't like my hi-end audiophile system, SACD, DVD Audio, projectors, I could go on and on. Nothing has made a postive impression on her, until A Christmas Carol in 3D. It was snowing in my HT and I don't mean it looked like snow, it was snowing and you could hear the flakes landing all around you and some of the flakes were landing on your nose. This was the best 3D effect that I have seen so far.

Now I got to thinking, hmmm no ghosting, why not bring up the Fuji W3 images that have ghosted on everything I have ever tested them on and see what happens with them. I plugged in the Fuji and was startled to see no ghosting, not a little, not minimal, none, nada. The one photograph that even ghosts a little bit on the Panny, nothing on the Sony, just clear crisp image.

The video of a dozen hummingbirds feeding on a 6 slot feeder, again no ghosting and the feeder and hummingbirds are hanging out in to the middle of the room, you can reach out with your hand and grab them. Phenomenal 3D effect with No Ghosting!

So why am I posting this? Well after reading this thread and seeing the totally different performance that people are getting from their new 90ES, it makes me think there is something else afoot here.

I like many others thought the Panny was the best 3DTV with very minimal ghosting. And some material on the Panny has no ghosting at all. But if I can take something that does ghost on the Panny and take to the Sony and it has absolutely no ghosting, then something in the chain or the chain itself must be causing the ghosting. Otherwise how could some people see so much that they return the new Sony and others see little to no ghosting and yes, I see none, zip, nada, no ghosting at all?

Now I do admit that I must have got a good 90ES, because it seems to have perfect alignment, it was really good out of the box and I have tweaked the picture with the help of settings posted here and it even matches up well against the VW200 in 2D.

Anyway, don't know what to tell you, because there seem to be quite a few variables at work here, but something is afoot, for why else would you have such contrasting results?

And that as they say is the real story here:D

So bottom line because of the chain YMMV.

I am a technocrat, it is a curse really, but I am usually one of the first if not the first to try out new technology.

May you be so cursed all your days:)

You got me wondering. What mostly contributes to a quality 3D experience? I assume it is the TV but now you have me wondering how much the DVD player contributes, or even the type of glasses.

I too have had the Oppo 93 for about a month now and what's not to like.

It plays everything including 3D bluray. AVATAR in 3D is not like watching a movie, it is more akin to being in the movie.

If you guys can find a place that has 3D audio and video dialed in, it is really and interesting experience. The Oppo 93 will make it easier to do so.

Avatar is now available in 3D? I did not know that. I purchased the new special addition Avatar a month ago when it came out (knowing that the 3D version would come out soon, but didn't know it was already out)

Speaking of the Oppo 93, I had an interesting experience with it during a snow storm this past Sunday.

On Saturday night I unpacked and setup a new Sony 90ES 3D projector with a 120 inch HP screen and used the Oppo 93 hdmi 2 direct to the Sony and hdmi 1 hooked to the Integra 80.1 for sound.

Now initially there was a small issue, in that I could not get sound if hdmi 1 was hooked up to the projector and hdmi 2 was hooked to the Integra, this was the recommended setup by Sony but it did not work. However hooking it up the other way around worked perfectly. I will follow up with Oppo to see why...but I digress.

Anyway, there was a snowstorm outside Sunday night and the wife agreed to watch a movie in 3D. We chose Christmas Carol with Jim Carey and there are a couple of scenes in it where it starts to snow. We had just taken the dogs out not 5 minutes earlier and the intensity of the snow had picked up quite a bit. Then during the first snow scene in the movie, OMG for just a split second I thought there was something seriously wrong with our house as snow started falling all over the room. It was falling from the ceiling and some of it was only an inch or two from my nose and not only could you see the snow falling all around you but you could hear it as well. It was unreal, no it was real....I mean, you could hear the snow landing all around you in all Martin Logan sound field.

My wife usually doesn't care for any of the technology that I work so hard to acquire.....but 3D blew her away. She said she liked it better than anything I had shown her so far.

Again, anyway the point is so far the Oppo 93 has had only one small quirk and it was easy to work around. By the first of the year, I will have run it through all phases of playback, probably mulitple times.....but so far so good, I hope it gets released soon:D

That sounds real cool!! Glad you're enjoying it!

May you be so cursed all your days:)

You got me wondering. What mostly contributes to a quality 3D experience? I assume it is the TV but now you have me wondering how much the DVD player contributes, or even the type of glasses.

Yeah, being active on AVS, it is clear to me that there are several factors that have to be managed for a quality 3D experience. Position of the screen and the projector is a bigger one than most seem to understand. Gain of screen is also important. Glasses and player and even the source material are in the mix. But when you do get it right it is an amazing experience.

Avatar is now available in 3D? I did not know that. I purchased the new special addition Avatar a month ago when it came out (knowing that the 3D version would come out soon, but didn't know it was already out)

Yeah, Avatar 3D was included in the new starter pack which went on sale December 1st at Best Buy, I think it was $399 but you get two pair of new Panny glasses too.

I was lucky and I got an advance copy back in November. It really is outstanding.

Then if you own a Panny 3D, you could send in for a free copy, which I did too:D

Back