Oppo BDP-93 (successor to BDP-83). Any early thoughts?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asindc

Reaction score
Is this a 3D blu ray player? What do they mean by 3D support? I just bought the new Panasonic 3D blu ray player with 2 hdmi outs for 3D mostly. It is also kwel for streaming Pandora, netflix, utube, etc to my 82 inch 3D big screen. Might have been worth waiting for the oppo, if it is a true 3D player. I just pre-ordered two 3D blu ray discs from Amazon. The Panasonic came with a very good demo disk. I was impressed with 3D. The 3D adapter for the Mitsubishi TV also came with a demo disk. I hope this 3D is not just a passing fad.

Ron,

The new Oppo BDP93 is a 'Real' 3D bluray player but if you really want to enjoy lots of 3D content then you should get a Fuji W-3 'Real' 3D Camera. They only cost 499 and are one of the best values for the buck out there.

With a Fuji W-3 you can take 3D stills and video and play them right on your 3D TV thru HDMI. I started using the Fuji 3D camera this summer and now I shoot 95% of everything in 3D.

The W-3 really is that good and it means that you have access to unlimited content.:D

Last edited:
Ron,

The new Oppo BDP93 is a 'Real' 3D bluray player but if you really want to enjoy lots of 3D content then you should get a Fuji W-3 'Real' 3D Camera. They only cost 499 and are one of the best values for the buck out there.

With a Fuji W-3 you can take 3D stills and video and play them right on your 3D TV thru HDMI. I started using the Fuji 3D camera this summer and now I shoot 95% of everything in 3D.

The W-3 really is that good and it means that you have access to unlimited content.:D

The problem with the Mitsubishi 3D starter pack is you can hook up only one source at a time. Origionally I was watching two of the Direct TV channels. Then I realized I am not going to watch sports all day in 3D. I switched the wires for the new 3D blu ray player I got. Movies are much more important to me in 3D after seen Avater in 3D at the Imax theater. I have 2 hdmi outs. One to my McIntosh MX150 processor for audio, and one through the 3D adapter for video to the tv. I called up Mitsubishi, and they have been getting calls about only being able to use one source with the 3D adapter. They may have a fix in the future to remedy this problem for people with the Mitsubishi DLP 3D ready television. I am not much of a camera person, but I bet it looks great. I will not be switching wires behind my equipment to change source hook-ups.

I love it when companies churn products. This means that the used market will be flooded with the 83's, and I can pick one up for cheap.

I liked this info from Oppo...
"We are working on a higher-end model that will, unlike the BDP-83SE, be built from the ground up for a higher quality analogue audio level of performance among other improvements and upgrades. This product isn't yet scheduled for release, so it will be after the BDP-93 is well on the market."

I love it when companies churn products. This means that the used market will be flooded with the 83's, and I can pick one up for cheap.

Yeah, it seems that the video streaming capabilities of the 93 is the big selling point. If you don't need/want that, then a used 83 is probably the way to go. BTW, the talk on avsforum is that Oppo has sold out of the 83s because of parts shortages.

I liked this info from Oppo...
"We are working on a higher-end model that will, unlike the BDP-83SE, be built from the ground up for a higher quality analogue audio level of performance among other improvements and upgrades. This product isn't yet scheduled for release, so it will be after the BDP-93 is well on the market."

I wonder how this will affect the 3rd party upgrades from companies like Modwright. I think I'm more excited about what this might turn out to be than I was for seeing Oppo do a blu ray player. What will they price it at? Will it have truly balanced circuitry? Will they include DVD-A (not that I care)? I assume that it will play SACD and HDCD, but should I? Will it have digital inputs? Yes, you can say I'm intrigued.:eek:

this was on the OPPO websiite

BDP-83BDP-83BDP-83
Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio
•VRS by Anchor Bay Video Processing
•Exceptional Picture and Sound Quality
•Fast Loading & Response Times
•SACD & DVD-Audio/Video
•USB 2.0 for Media Playback
•IR IN/OUT & Optional RS232

Due to a shortage of major components, we have ceased production of this model.

Knitting my brow here...if OPPO can't get the quality components to continue production of the '83, does this mean that that the '93 will really be an upgrade (quality-wise, not just in features)?

Just wondering...

Knitting my brow here...if OPPO can't get the quality components to continue production of the '83, does this mean that that the '93 will really be an upgrade (quality-wise, not just in features)?

Just wondering...

It's likely that is the case. Remember that the 83 is nearly 2 years old (design wise) at this point. Unless a manufacturer buys huge quantities of component parts up front in anticipation of a long run, they are at the mercy of their componet parts manufacturers. The answer then is to redesign the unit using the most up-to date parts.

I received my BDP-93 last week and it is fantastic. The Industrial Design has made a major leap forward and the BDP looks much more expensive than it is.
PQ and SQ are excellent and the Streaming Options are just icing. Could not be happier.
Cheers,
JJ .

Just stumbled upon this while browsing through AVS Forum:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/oppo-bdp-93

Here is the avsforum discussion on it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278530

One thing I took note of in the audioholics interview is that Oppo is planning a higher-end audiophile model that will "be built from the ground up."

I see how the oppo is a great product video/feature wise but I don't see the value for music really. Am I missing something here? Why would I pay more for an oppo for the analog stage? I would rather purchase a low cost oppo for video and a high quality source for music. I have tried the all in one box method before and the results for me have never been as good IMHO

I see how the oppo is a great product video/feature wise but I don't see the value for music really. Am I missing something here? Why would I pay more for an oppo for the analog stage? I would rather purchase a low cost oppo for video and a high quality source for music. I have tried the all in one box method before and the results for me have never been as good IMHO

For those that have music in a variety of formats (CD, SACD, DVD-A, concerts on DVD, etc.), a quality universal player makes a lot of sense. I use the standard oppo BDP-83 playing through my Meridian G-68 surround processor to listen to my music on the DVD formats and it sounds pretty darn good. I still prefer my Wadia 781i for CD/SACD sound, but it is nice to have the Oppo for the dvd material.

I would expect that an audiophile-grade component from Oppo would be well worth the money for the types of people that it would appeal to.

Yeah I have no doubt there is a market. But like you rich - i would do the same - have the high quality source with the additional oppo to take on other duties.

I too have had the Oppo 93 for about a month now and what's not to like.

It plays everything including 3D bluray. AVATAR in 3D is not like watching a movie, it is more akin to being in the movie.

If you guys can find a place that has 3D audio and video dialed in, it is really and interesting experience. The Oppo 93 will make it easier to do so.

Back