Big mistake

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
I really messed up...first, I have a general rule that I live by...if I'm not ready to buy something, I don't try it out. It's a basic understand of my lack of will power. I don't test drive new cars, I don't play with new electronics, etc. until I've got money in my pocket.

I made an exception to that rule, to help out my uncle. He recently sold his Rogue Audio Magnum 88 amp to someone here in Austin. He's been telling me about it for a while, and I expected my next upgrade would likely be a tube amp...when funds allow, but not right now. I agreed to accept the shipment, reassemble the amp, and verify that everything was ok. I did that last night, shipment was fine, plugged in the tubes then substituted it for the front L/R channels, previously driven by my Outlaw 100W transistor amp.

Now understand, I've been happy with the Outlaw, but as I started listening to the Rogue, my worst fears where realized. In ultralinear mode, it was crisp and clear, in trilinear it was wonderfully musical, while maintaining that crisp, clear sound. I switched back to the Outlaw...it still sounded nice, but nothing like the Rogue. I guess I'm gonna have to start budgetting for the next upgrade!

Dave (twitch54) and I know exactly what you're talking about.:p

My Rogue monoblocks were, IMHO, much superior to my Aragon 4004 and even bested a pair of VTL MB 450 sig's I purchased a few months back.

Hey Steve, no mess up !, as Ken said , we know all about it !

Interesting you mention what you just discovered for earlier this week I put my Plinius back into the mix, hadn't done that since I got my Spire's.

So, what I've got is a bit of conundrum myself............ There is no doubt that the Plinius is easily bested by the Rogue's in the mid-freq (although when the Plinny is biased fully into Class "A" I feel it's damn close), it's when the higher freq come into play that I STILL feel my beloved Pliiny still has the edge.

So what's a father to do ?? I'm really addicted to the 'tube magic' that is oh so apparent in the mids. I'm wondering with respect to the inverse impedence curve of our ESL panels having a sonic impact on a tube amp when ascending into the upper freq ??

Sadly, I will have to part with the Rogue tomorrow. However, I'm left pondering...if it sounds this good with my Clarities, how good would it sound with the Summits that are just destined to take their place? :meditate:

...and down the rabbit hole I go...

I was just enjoying a martini, listening to various music on this sweet, temporary combination, and happened across "One of These Days" from Meddle. Of course, to really appreciate this song, it requires more volume...at which point, the wifey came out and said enough. She's taking our daughter to a birthday party tomorrow, and which point, I will revisit this album before the new owner of said Rogue amp shows up to claim what is his.

I hope I hear him knocking at the front door........or not. :devil:

Back