Beware of Black Sabbath SACD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I recently ordered a Black Sabbath Paranoid SACD from our good buddies at Acoustic Sounds. Received it today but it turns out to be a DVD Audio/CD. Called Acoustic Sounds and they said there was a mistake and that there is no SACD of Paranoid. Fortunately I have an Ayre C5 which plays DVD Audios so I am cool. Acoustic Sounds have pulled their ad but beware of purchasing this from someone else unless you have a truly universal player. Ill let you guys know how it sounds once I get a chance to listen this weekend. This is one of my all time favorites and brings back memories of my (pot smoked)youth!

Our collector says it's pretty awesome, and he's got every LP version, so I'm pretty excited. Hope I get mine tomorrow in time for the weekend!

Thanks for the heads-up. I have to admit that i'm not that much into Sabbath's second effort but their first is still one of my all-time favorite CDs. Since i just entered the realm of SACD, I now know to be careful when purchasing.

Thanks again.

OK. The CD sounds wonderful, much warmer sounding than my Best Buy bargain bin copy. I wish I'd gotten the 180 gm LP. Something is not quite right about the DVD version-I think it is more a Dual disc like recording rather than a true DVD Audio. Caveat emptor!

Thanks for the heads-up. I have to admit that i'm not that much into Sabbath's second effort but their first is still one of my all-time favorite CDs. Since i just entered the realm of SACD, I now know to be careful when purchasing.

Thanks again.

Actually, "Paranoid" is their second album. Their first was just called "Black Sabbath". You might be thinking of their third album "Masters of Reality". Not that I'm a huge fan, but I do have these three on LP.

ah yes the birth of heavy metal :devil::devil::devil:
I have my copy of black sabbath vinyl. the first one was a really good album I am a fan of almost all sabbath and Ozzy. I get really upset when people mislabel cut and dry alums like that

Last edited:
Actually, "Paranoid" is their second album. Their first was just called "Black Sabbath". You might be thinking of their third album "Masters of Reality". Not that I'm a huge fan, but I do have these three on LP.

Yea- that's what i said; into their first more so than their second. Although Paranoid is one of my favorite Sabbath cuts. I couldn't hardly listen to their third.

I just got this DVD and it is not DVD Audio. It has Dolby Digital 2 channel and DTS 5.1. Just an FYI. I like the 5.1 channel mix it is well done.

Yeah, I just got this DVD as well. And Cherian is right about the format, it is not DVD Audio but it is an interesting remaster of the 1974 Quadrophonic mix that is done in DTS 5.1 and also 2.0 LPCM.

What did you guys think of Disc 3 The Studio Outtakes?

Back