Modding of CD/SACD Players

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB300

Reaction score
In another thread on the MLO site, there has been some discussion about amplifiers and modified players. Allen Wright of VSE stopped in to talk about his new amplifiers and the discussions about modified players also came up. Some asked Allen about his mods and he responded:

I'm a little uncertain about how commercial I can get here, often get my knuckles rapped in another forum just for answering questions.

So I will start the ball rolling with a little commentary on modifications and my opinions, and hopefully this will help open up some dialog with Allen on this subject.

As many know here, I have been a big fan of modifying a CD/SACD player for better sonic performances for many years now. IMO, the cost versus performance ratio's are fantastic when getting the "right" mods done to a player. I am a FIRM believer in new output stages and new clocks as the best modification paths to take.

Here is my take on modifications:

When reading forums and talking about CD/SACD players you see discussions about giant killers made from midrange players against higher cost and top-of-the-line five-figure and up players. Everyone knows the names from Oppo, Sony, Cambridge, Marantz, Ayre, Wadia Esoteric, Naim, and EMM Labs just to throw around a few. Audiophiles are always asking about upgrades to their CD/SACD sources and what is the next great player to consider. The replies to these questions seem to follow the same path over and over depending on the budget of the buyer.

Then there comes the discussion about having their player modified instead of purchasing a brand new model. These discussions bring up the same responses and questions over and over.

Audiophiles have many things to think about and consider when upgrading and spending their hard earned money. Since this review is about a player modification we will discuss modifications of a player instead of purchasing a stock model. But remember modified players all come from stock models.

Upgrades or modifications to CD/SACD/DVD players are comprised of two types of audio lover camps: Believers and Cautious.

The Cautious Camp:

• They are unable to audition modified players (unless a local owner is willing to open their home to you).
  • How do you resell a player that has been modified (limited buyer base)
  • How do you get service on your modified player if problems occur (company may no longer be around)
  • Is the warranty voided by the manufacturer if modifications are made (some companies still honor the warranty)

The believer camps are composed of people who have done modifications already to their players. What is the common discussions among them?

• They have their modified players in hand and have heard first hand the improvement gained through the modifications.
  • Almost all are highly satisfied with their new players and the sonic improvements they have achieved
  • Cost versus performance is probably the main topic or discussion when they are evaluating the sound of their modded player against stock. Most have stated the sound of their new modified players is equivalent to a stock player costing 2-3 times are much.

So what are some of the modifications available?

• Part swapping – There are many companies out there who will take out part “A” and put in part “B” as a “better” part – and hopefully a better sounding part. These parts can be anything from resistors to caps to power components within the player. IMO - this can be a real hit or miss item
  • Clock Upgrades – Taking out the stock clock and upgrading to one of the many new clocks available. Many clocks available to upgrade to.
  • Output stages – New output stages are installed in the player bypassing or eliminating the stock output stages (not using Op-Amp’s is a main discussion point). These new stages can be tube output or solid state depending on the modifying group. Only a couple of companies out there with brand new output stage mods. IMO - these are the "real companies" in the modding arena

Everyone has their opinion on which items result in the greatest improvement.

In my opinion, upgraded clocks and new output stages will give the greatest satisfaction and improvements in your player. This is based on my experience in the modded player arena and posts/information from other audiophiles and professional reviewers.

IMO, there are a couple of companies out there which I consider the “Main Players” in the modification market. These are the companies who offer those brand new output stages along with new clocks for your players. Also these same companies do not just do modifications to players, they also build and sell other audio components as part of their business.

I have about $3k invested in my player (total of stock purchase and mods) and IMO I would have to spend at least 3 times that amount, or higher, on a stock player to achieve the same sonic performance levels based on listening sessions of stock players. Again just my opinion.

Last edited:
Hi Dan! I'd add power supply modifications to clocks and output stages. Dan Wright (Allen's long-lost cousin;)) mods all three, if I'm not mistaken.

Hi Dan! I'd add power supply modifications to clocks and output stages. Dan Wright (Allen's long-lost cousin;)) mods all three, if I'm not mistaken.
Correct - Modwright (Dan Wright - no relations to Allen) does offer Power Supply mods too. This is due to Modwright using an external Power Supply for their Tubed Output Stage. But I believe they also work on internal power components too.

VSE does internal power modifications to drive their SS Output Stages. But I am sure Allen can expand further on his mods.

Dan

Last edited:
When having VSE level 6+ upgrades on my Sony SCD-1, I spoke numerous times with Bill Thalmann of Music Technology their east coast agent. One of the main things he commented on was the power supply changes and the removal of I believe it was 9 op amps in the original circuitry just as Dan mentioned.
I have not had an opportunity to compare it to anything other than when it was still at level 4 and it replaced my then Krell Standard. That change was quite pronounced. A much more distinct placement and clarity of instruments and voices, much cleaner quieter background.
I received mine back about 2 months before the announcement of the new Uber Clock. Still thinking about that one though.
The 6+ upgrade was more improvement than I had expected. The image and sound stage along with the even more clarity and silent background were the most obvious once broken in.

I am in Tampa FL. should of our established members ever want to hear or compare it to something they have they can PM me to see if we can work it out.

I can only confirm Dan's experiences with mods.

I was an early SACD adopter, bought an XB940 player and read about its tweaking potential. Since I'm living near Munich I got in touch with Allen Wright who lived in Munich at that time.
I can say that his modded Sony SCD-XB940 sounded way better (on Red Book material) than one of the best and most expensive CD players on the market at that time. I know 'cause I auditioned the Ascent with this expensive player when purchasing.

Allen talked me into buying an SCD-555ES instead of having the 940 modded and I never regretted the decision. It sounded way better than 940. Vacuum State mod made it a real killer machine, at the time better than anything I heard (except for his modded SCD-777ES). Successive upgrade levels brought incremental improvements until the v5 upgrade came out. This was again a quantum leap. Never looked back at the stock models on the market ever since the first Vacuum State upgrade.

Terra Firma is probably an equal quantum leap from previous mods as the v5 mod was. I did not have time to "Terra Firma"-ize my 555 but can testify of Terra Firma performance in another device currently in development at Vacuum State (which has a Terra Firma clock embedded into the device itself).

Anyone going for this upgrade can not fail. And remember, just about any device (digital, of course) you can think of is upgradeable with Terra Firma. Even universal players (DVD anyone?) have a much better picture with modded clock apart from sounding way better.

Last edited:
Part swapping – There are many companies out there who will take out part “A” and put in part “B” as a “better” part – and hopefully a better sounding part. These parts can be anything from resistors to caps to power components within the player. IMO - this can be a real hit or miss item
I agree that this is hit or miss. Hexfreds made a big difference in my ARC SP9 preamp and CAL Sigma II DAC, but no difference in my CAL Delta transport. Black Gate caps made a big difference in my DAC but not in my SL3 (but the SL3 mod was just minor - one cap).

I am such big fan of the SACD sound, especially multi-channel with well mixed, quality versions. And this is using just a simple Sony 400 disc SACD/CD/DVD player.
But, the more I read your posts the more I realize that I am such a novice in this arena.
Please continue to post such well done threads; I am learning everyday.

Lee

Hi Guys,
We have been Upgrading SACD, and to a limited degree, CD players since 2001. We must have done over 600 players around the world, ourselves here in Switzerland, and through our agents in most continents.

I have been a vinyl enthusiast for years and never took to RBCD, and had the unique opportunity to hear a very well recorded DSD session directly off the hard disc in the studio where it was recorded live to two track, and I thought - this is finally better than vinyl - if it can translate to the final home user's disc.

So I bought one of the early SONY SACD players, their budget 940QS which didn't sound anything like the hard disc. And that's what started our adventure into Upgrading players, becauseI had heard the potential of the format.

SONY put out their initial range of SACD/CD players using a unique chipset, called "VC24". They were SACD focussed from the very beginning, with CD playback a seemingly secondary consideration.

My philosophy on Upgrading is that just changing parts for better (= expensive) parts is mostly a waste of time. That will give you single digit levels of improvement - but I'm interested in decades of improvement so I approach the actual circuits used to see if there are major flaws in their thinking. And many players have huge design problems in their audio sections!

I obtained a service manual for the 940 and looked over their circuit on the basis of my key design principal: KISS. Initially, just how much of their signal path could I simplify (remove) and still have it work?

I listened after every opamp I removed, and it sounded better and better. Then I couldn't understand why they had effectively two DACs in series, so I tried bypassing the second one - wow, much better. Then I went a step too far by trying to bypass the first DAC - as it didn't work any more.

So, back in went the first DAC, but I needed to add some filtering as the SACD ultrasonic noise was too high for most amps that would follow, and it also needed a high current output buffer to effectively drive the interconnect cable. This, with the addition of a replacement TENT clock, was Level 1.

This filter/buffer went through a series of evolutions across about 4 years, called Level 2, 3 & 4, ending up with what we use now in all our Upgrades of these early "VC24" machines: SCD-1, SCD-777ES, SCD-555ES (European/Asian - not US), SCD-940QS, SCD-C333ES and the DVP-S9000ES.

Level 5 was a better power supply for the TENT clock, more on that later.

About a year after the 940 I scored a huge (30kg!) SCD-777ES on a deal, and did the same procedure on it. It used a similar VC24 topology but with far more opamps, so there were more to pull out - 9 per channel!. And not only did it use the double DAC scheme, it had split the first DAC into two seperate chips as well.

So the second DAC went, and I tried if the second part of the first DAC could also be eliminated - it could be with a great increase in sonics of SACD signals. But CD signals just came across as noise - a horrible buzzy loud noise! Not so good...

I ran my own 777ES without the CD section of the first DAC as I loved the sound, and don't bother with CDs much anyway, but the market didn't want this. So we had to design a automatic switching board that switches this chip out for SACD and brings it back in again for CD. This became Level 5+.

Level 6 was input from one of my agents, who proved that adding fitering on certain AC power wiring and earth wires inside the player sounded better.

Up till then we had been replacing the stock SONY clocks with the TENT clock for major improvements in sound quality, but found that a better powersupply for the clock sounded better (Level 5) and a FAR FAR better powersupply sounded - against all logic - also FAR better. This started the reseach that has resulted in our two TerraFirma (TF) clocks - the TF UberClock and the TF Lite which use EXTREME quality powersupplies.

Either of these, when all previous work has also been done, take an original "VS24" SONY SACD player up to Level 7 or 7+ and this is the current state of the art.

The TerraFirma clocks can be added to almost all digital players, CD, SACD, Blueray etc, all with great sonic improvements. And we have found a new SONY player, the SCD-XA5400ES that when Upgraded actually sounds slightly better than our previous best, the Level 7 SCD-1.

Either of these two top machines can match the very best of vinyl - I find the preference is now down to the mastering quality and how far early on the master tape sequence was the mastering engineer was allowed to access.

There are lots of wins and reviews on my website, and I'm happy to answer questions, either here or by private email.

Regards, Allen (Vacuum State)

Allen, thanks for taking the time to reply with the informative post. While I'm most satisfied with my present CDP, as others here have heard me say, I will be giving serious consideration to a "Mod" player next time around.

While I'm most satisfied with my present CDP........
One does not realize how much better a player can be until you have a new clock installed - especially the new Terra Firma clocks from Allen. They are one of the best cost versus performance mods other than having new output stages installed.

They are one of the best cost versus performance mods other than having new output stages installed.
I was astounded when I opened up my CAL DAC and saw that they used the lowly 741 op amp for the output stage. I planned on changing to the Burson "discrete op amp", but ended up buying a new CDP instead. Has anyone tried the Burson ? It's sold by Parts Connexion.

An opamp, be it discrete or an IC is still an opamp. Some are good, some better, some darn good, some bad but all share a common set of negative feedback artifacts, even the best ones.

There are other ways to go. And better sounding too.

Back