Long Time Reader, First Time Writer

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_morse

Reaction score
Hello all,

I must say that this site is an absolute fountain of knowledge that has served me VERY well thus far. I am a soon-to-be first time Martin Logan owner, and after all these months of reading and research I've done, I can honestly say that I can't wait!

A little background on myself: I'm 25 years old and in the United States Air Force. Plans for a proper home theater system got pushed forward thanks in large part to my current deployment to Joint Base Balad, Iraq. Let's just say the money and chance to save are the two leading factors in being able to throw down some serious coin for my setup.

I look forward to getting back to the States in May or June, and have already started buying components to be used in this new setup.

Where did I gain this love of upscale audio, you might ask? Well, from an early age my dad was always playing with stereos. I have very vivid and fond memories of some of his earlier iterations, most include his Infinity Quantum Line Source (QLS) 1's. Amazing speakers to say the least. A few years back (circa 2001), Dad upgraded to a set of Infinity Prelude towers for his front channels, coupled with the full Infinity Prelude suite for side/rear surround and front/rear centers. At that time, the QLS-1's were passed down to me, and so began my stereo/home theater love affair.

These speakers have seen me through several stereo systems, all low-end, all Yamaha receiver-based (Original RX-V1900 with external 5.1 decoder as well as newer RX-V2500). Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was the first album I can remember sitting down and listening to on these speakers, eyes closed, enveloped in the music. I can honestly say it was at that point I realized what a gift Stereo recordings were, and the way the soundstage (even on a low-budget stereo system) could reach out and grab you, for lack of a better term. While I have had a very great time over the years with these speakers, I have also been bitten by the upgrade bug.

After much research, I decided on Martin Logans. I demo'd a set in my teenage years in a Louisville, KY audio store and honestly between the visual aesthetics and the sound itself I was hooked. Now that I'm in a position to actually settle into a system, these are my first choice.

A little on what I'm planning, please feel free to critique. I will only cover the larger items:

-Front Channels - ML Vantage or Spire - I've read much on both, and just haven't been able to make my mind up yet. I read about the sonic differences in both, but I'm not sure yet if I can justify the extra cost. Needless to say I check the Gon daily to see what's available and at what price point.

-Center - ML Stage - Had planned on the Theater i for a while, but research ultimately led me in this direction.

-Subwoofer - ML Depth i - No brainer, and in my planned space the Descent would be overkill.

-Side/Rear Surround - ML Motion 4 - Very excited about this line of speakers, and at the price point these will serve very well for home theater duty.

-Front Effects - ML Motion 2 - See above.

As for the rest of the system, this is what I've come up with:

-Receiver/Video Switching/Surround Channel Power - Yamaha RX-Z11

-Front Channel Amplifiers - Monarchy Audio SE-160 Hybrid Mono Blocks (Purchased a few days ago)

-Center Channel Amplifier - Monarchy Audio SM-70 Mono Block

-CD Transport Duty - Musical Fidelity A3.5

-DAC - Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 by way of Monarchy Audio DIP 24/96

-Front/Center Equalizers - Yamaha EQ-70 (like the extra adjustability)

-DVD/SACD - Denon DVD-2930Ci

-Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83

-Television - Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP (Have had for a year, and it's gorgeous. Can't wait to watch Blu Ray in 24 FPS)

All cabling will be Blue Jeans Cable, and the Front Channels will be fed with Kimber Kable 8TC bi-wired units.

I honestly don't think I'm leaving anything big out as of now. This is the culmination of literally hundreds of hours of research.

If I missed a beat on something, please don't hesitate to let me know. I am definitely open to opinions/alternatives at this point.

In summary, thanks for a GREAT site. I look forward to getting to know many of you beyond the extremely helpful posts I've been reading for a couple months, and also look forward to sharing my ML system as soon as it's ready.

-Charlie

Last edited:
Hi Charlie,

Congradulations on your long time dream of owning Martin Logans finally coming about. It looks like yor list of potential equipment is very good. I would definately go for the Spire over Vantage.

I see there are 4 sets of Prodigy's on gon also which are great speakers as well.I agree the depth sub will be great, but you might want to eventually add a second one which will fill out the room more. It's always better with 2 subs vs one. I plan on adding a second depth this year.

Also , try to keep the equipment racks as low to the floor as possible.I have Lovan racks which are individual sections that can be stacked. I took them apart and spread them over a greater width and lower to the floor, this made a big difference in the soundstage.I will have to take new pictures sometime showing the change.And also, try to keep your ML's five feet off the wall behind them for aquiring the best sound possible.

If you plan on a TV, don't have it on a stand between your ML's. Wall mount it. Having the TV between the ML's will muck up the sound.
Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Hi Charlie! Welcome and thanks for your service.

Having owned both the Vantage and Spire, I also would recommend the Spire for the larger panel and new crossover benefits. I'd second the suggestion Gregg made to consider at LEAST a second sub.

You've covered all the equipment to make the sound, have you looked into treating the room with some trapping? Several manufacturers are on the web but to get your learn on, try RealTraps.com.

I wish I had thought about this neglected aspect of sound reproduction years ago. I could have saved some real coin over the years.

Stay safe.

Gordon

Hey Batman. I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for your service to our country. I used to live close to Scott Air Force Base in southern Illinois and had many Air Force friends.

Sounds like quite a system. Hope you enjoy it.

Charlie - sounds like a great start to years of audio bliss. I don't have naything to add to what others have said above. I only wanted to thank, and the thousands of others like you, who serve our country.

Be safe and come home soon to enjoy that new system!

Charlie - sounds like a great start to years of audio bliss. I don't have naything to add to what others have said above. I only wanted to thank, and the thousands of others like you, who serve our country.

Be safe and come home soon to enjoy that new system!

Second that!! We Kentuckians rock; in more ways than one!! :rocker:

@ Moon - Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, with the house I currently own, my listening area is also my Living Room. Even though I'm a bachelor and can set things up whatever way I want, darn it I'm still constrained by wanting a nice liveable room and making a positive impression on people when they come in.

My Mono Blocks will be right above the floor on my VTI TV stand, while the rest will be housed in a Salamander Archetype 5.0/2.0 combo. I will have the equipment arranged with the hotter components up top, and the more heat-sensitive colder components at the bottom.

As for the TV? I also don't have a choice with that one. The TV, being a DLP, is not wall-mountable. It will only be about 2 feet off the wall though, and I plan on bringing the speakers at least 3 feet if not more off the wall.

@ Gordon - I've considered room treatments most definitely. Currently, my planned setup involves a very heavy set of drapes over the double window at back of the room to cut down on reflections. In addition, I will be getting 4 wall panels. I plan on hanging one behind each front speaker, and using the reflection method to determine where to mount the other two panels on the side walls. As for a bass trap? Being that this is my Living Room, I'm sort of constrained with what I can do. I had seen an end table that doubled as a bass trap a while back, and am probably going to look into something like that for the room.

@ Alphamalex - Yes, we Kentuckians do rock! I miss my state terribly, and can't wait to retire, move back, and build a house on my family farm. No state better!

@ Everyone - Thanks for the well-wishes. This place really isn't so bad. Honestly I pray for our guys in Afghanistan. Iraq is a dream now compared to that place.

Hi Charlie,

I used to have my stereo in the living room before having a dedicated room and was fortunate to have an understanding wife for the proper five foot distance off the back wall.I suggest you put them at the 3 feet, listen to it and then try five feet and see what you think soundwise.

I think your Martin Logans will make quite the favourable impression on anyone who see's them. What finish were you considering for your speakers?

Cheers, Greg

I'm looking at the Spires in either Dark Cherry or Black. Either color will do quite fine for me. As for the Stage, I'd prefer Black, as it is going to be wall-mounted.

Hello all,

I must say that this site is an absolute fountain of knowledge...

Thanks for the props, but I'm sure there are a few other who contributed:p:D. Just kidding of course. Thank you for your service to our country and God Bless!

Glen

So I've been doing more reading/thinking, and have come up with a few questions concerning my system.

First, here are some pictures of the room this stereo is going in:

5329_1191946960150_1272672326_562755_538224_n.jpg

5329_1191947560165_1272672326_562770_8039339_n.jpg

5329_1191947760170_1272672326_562775_1089839_n.jpg

5329_1191952760295_1272672326_562784_4318069_n.jpg

First, I really only want to use one subwoofer, and prefer the Depth i for cost reasons. I can pick up a Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer for $300 on the Gon. Would that help me with the bass? My room is 17x11 or so, not hug by any means.

Second, is it feasible to fit a 7.1 speaker setup in? I know it might not be as good as it could in some rooms, but for the life of me I'd still like to try it if I could gain any benefit at all, which I think I could.

Finally, would Scipt i's be overkill for the room versus ML Motion 4's for the Side and Rear Surrounds? Once again I'm thinking into the future, and I honestly feel like electrostat panels all around would be the way to go, but do need some advice in that arena.

Anyway, thanks for the advice in advance.

-Charlie

Here's a few better pictures of the room itself, from before I had any furniture moved in. Realized the initial pics were kind of low...

5329_1191922599541_1272672326_562660_4981450_n.jpg

5329_1191922639542_1272672326_562661_6906202_n.jpg

5329_1191923319559_1272672326_562678_5980421_n.jpg

5329_1191922799546_1272672326_562665_720633_n.jpg

to bad you cant put the speakers in the fire place end of the room. the longer the room the better for sound generally. plus you wouldnt have a wall behind your head in the primary listening position.

I wish I could too, but it's pretty much a no-go on that one. The problem being that I'm a slave to aesthetics, and a fireplace being covered up by a 67" TV just doesn't look very nice. I've actually considered putting some kind of curtain... something... over the fireplace to make it look like it wasn't there. If I could manage that I could work everything in no problem. That's a rather large if though.

Have any ideas how I could accomplish that?

any acoustically transparent fabric will create the illusion of a wall. and behind it you load up on sound treatments!

Back