Arrivederci, Logans!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checking out until Monday night at least. From now on I have to use my work laptop to read and post here for a while. That is not something I would normally do so my presence here may be limited until I have found a residence. It will take 5 to 6 to weeks before the container with my stuff will be through Italian customs...

But like Radu said, you won't see less *and less* of me, just less for a while. Just when you thought you were rid of me... ;)

Almost

Its been so long it feels strange to post here again. Where to begin?

This is only the second week that I have DSL at home. Some things do take a while here.

I found a nice apartment in a charming old town not far from Milano. All my stuff made it over intact, including the audio gear. I still need to convert the Vantages to 50Hz. The acoustics in my living room are about as bad as they can get so I have been listening to my old boxed speakers in a near-field config. Stone walls, parquet floor, 6m x 6m x 3.5m dimensions.

Now that I have internet back my first mission is to find and buy room treatments.

My new car is more powerful but smaller than the one I had in Houston. Traffic is thick and parking a nightmare, so a small car is a big plus. Horse power and torque is for accelerating out of corners of which they have a lot here.

I really like the people. They are genuinely friendly and caring despite the language barrier. I wished I would be quicker at learning Italian but even with my currently extremely poor command of the language I feel at home.

Talking about really nice people, I met Radu and his family beginning of November. The System #91 threat is a much better place to write about the art of the barbecue, and CLSes, and audiophile CDs, and Lugano, and I will.

Manana.

Its been so long it feels strange to post here again. Where to begin?

This is only the second week that I have DSL at home. Some things do take a while here.
Hey, welcome back!
… I found a nice apartment in a charming old town not far from Milano. All my stuff made it over intact, including the audio gear. I still need to convert the Vantages to 50Hz. The acoustics in my living room are about as bad as they can get so I have been listening to my old boxed speakers in a near-field config. Stone walls, parquet floor, 6m x 6m x 3.5m dimensions.
Agggh! :eek: A square room with the height being close to ½ the other dimensions?
Now that I have internet back my first mission is to find and buy room treatments. ...

My friend, that’s the understatement of the year ;) You will need a boatload of treatments for that room.

My new car is more powerful but smaller than the one I had in Houston. Traffic is thick and parking a nightmare, so a small car is a big plus. Horse power and torque is for accelerating out of corners of which they have a lot here.

I really like the people. They are genuinely friendly and caring despite the language barrier. I wished I would be quicker at learning Italian but even with my currently extremely poor command of the language I feel at home.

Talking about really nice people, I met Radu and his family beginning of November. The System #91 threat is a much better place to write about the art of the barbecue, and CLSes, and audiophile CDs, and Lugano, and I will.

Manana.

Great to hear all is well in Italia for now. Hope the ML setup goes smooth.

Cheers,

Welcome in Italy

Welcome in Italy, Ralflar. You'll find a lot of ML fans (like me) and a great distributor called Audio Natali that is located in Tuscany, my region, about 300 km from Milano. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need some kind of assistance.
Andrea

Hi Jonathan,
Hey, welcome back!

Agggh! :eek: A square room with the height being close to ½ the other dimensions?
Thanks. Yes, I'm afraid so. I have no excuses. Taming this room will be a challenge, I knew it when I first stepped into it. Echoes, echoes, echoes. Eek.
My friend, that’s the understatement of the year ;) You will need a boatload of treatments for that room.
That's got to be a big boat. So far I have covered the floor w/ thick rugs, and set up the stuff I brought with me from Houston: 2 GIK corner traps for the bass and an overall 4' by 6' acreage of 2" panels for the walls. A drop in the bucket. It takes the edge off at the listening position (2 meters from any wall, same for speakers) but everywhere else in the room the music sounds boomy and too loud.

I have a measurement mic, mic amp, and tripod for the mic. Which software do you recommend?

Ciao Andrea. Thanks for the welcome. Jim Powers pointed me at Audio Natali as the source for 50Hz power boards. He said they are great to work with and that English is not a problem. I just have to give them a call.

Where did you buy your room treatments? I found sources in Germany and the UK but none in Italy so far.

Back