Anyone here own the Power Plant Premier?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Since I've sold my Perfect Chair, I have some cash to spend on more frivolous, but seemingly necessary audio gear. Ok, seriously now.

I've been looking at the PPP for quite some time now (as some of you know by my numerous posts on the subject, this thread being probably #4 or something obnoxious like that) and I've been seeing them used on audiogon for around $1399... which aint bad. Not to mention that I can get them for $1550 brand new from my buddy.

Anyway, does anyone currently own or have recent experience with this PPP and can spare a few words on how it impacted their system? I'm a born skeptic, so I tend to believe that psychoacoustics can play a role (as well as the placebo effect), but for some reason, I tend to believe what Paul McGowan says...

Maybe that's just because I'm the equivalent of a moron when it comes to electical engineering.

Anyway, as always, thanks for the help fellas!

I'm very familiar with your stance on this product, Neil, as I have read a lot of your posts here and on audiogon. You really like the ExactPower 15 from what I've read.

Thanks for the linky btw! :)

I'm very familiar with your stance on this product, Neil, as I have read a lot of your posts here and on audiogon. You really like the ExactPower 15 from what I've read.
Thanks for the linky btw! :)
I just think EP gives you a lot more bang for the buck (even though it costs a few more bucks -- but not that much more.) I also have it on good authority that a certain sister company of Exactpower makes xfmrs for the PPP (when PS runs out of the Chinese ones:rolleyes: )

From what I read they are both fine units. I don't believe the latest versions of the PPP have the fan issues to deal with any more ??

Anyways, the Exact Power EP-15A only regenerates part of the waveform, from 90 volts on up and using a Class "D" amplification, correct ??? thus the lower heat generated. This also explains all the "brownout / low voltage" capabilities are based on a bottom threshold of 90 volts.

Joey, as I said both units would serve you well, if you go the PPP route for God's sake give it more room to breath than what the "Plinny" has !! LOL !

From what I read they are both fine units. I don't believe the latest versions of the PPP have the fan issues to deal with any more ??

Anyways, the Exact Power EP-15A only regenerates part of the waveform, from 90 volts on up and using a Class "D" amplification, correct ??? thus the lower heat generated. This also explains all the "brownout / low voltage" capabilities are based on a bottom threshold of 90 volts.

Joey, as I said both units would serve you well, if you go the PPP route for God's sake give it more room to breath than what the "Plinny" has !! LOL !

Dave, good call there! ;)

One guy says Richard Gray, the other says Exact Power, another crazy man says Shunyata (jk Dennis!!).... oy... how to decide without having all 4 in my room....

:eek: :confused: :(

One guy says Richard Gray, the other says Exact Power, another crazy man says Shunyata (jk Dennis!!).... oy... how to decide without having all 4 in my room....

:eek: :confused: :(

Joey just look at the amount of professionals that use it and look at the reviews of Shunyata. They are remarkable. In my opinion...Hell what do I know though...:D

Last edited:
Shunyata Joey!!!

Your comparing Apples to Oranges, were talkin "Power regeneration" not just conditiong / filtering, which I believe is all the Shunyata does.

Come on Cherian, chime in here, as Dan said your our resident "power expert" !!

Your comparing Apples to Oranges, were talkin "Power regeneration" not just conditiong / filtering, which I believe is all the Shunyata does.

Come on Cherian, chime in here, as Dan said your our resident "power expert" !!

I know Cherian uses his own that he makes.... I remember running this question by him before but I'm not sure what his answer was. :confused:

Ok this is the deal. When looking at a power quality device first determine what you want it to do.

a) Protect your equipment from electrical noise and surges?
b) Protect you against power outage or brownouts
c) Give you better sound?
d) All of the above.

My only goal is to protect my equipment and investment. For this I buy a power conditioner. One that uses a low impedance isolation transformer and filter.

Listed below are some links of power conditioner built with this technology.

www.powervar.com
www.etasys.com
www.oneac.com

To date this is the best power conditioner I have found.

http://www.etasys.com/Main/ETAOnlineLibrarySearch/linkedresults.asp?file=DPC-1800NA

If your goal is to protect your equipment from power outage or brownouts then go with a UPS type device. On-line is best. The best in the market is Toshiba. Listed below is a link. Please note this will have a fan for cooling so you may want to relocate it outside of your audio room. An online ups takes the incoming AC changes it to DC and then makes a new AC output. The AC is very good but some high frequency noise can get through.

http://www.toshiba.com/ind/product_display.jsp?id1=14&id2=22

If you are looking for better sound go spend your power quality money on better amps and on other audio items.

If you want the best in power quality get the UPS listed in the above link and put a low impedance power conditioner on its output. This will protect your equipment from everything.

I just don’t believe in buying power quality device for sonic improvement. You are far better off spending your money in other places.

I have one on my new system. It is one of the best power conditioners on the market. ETA systems sell only into the Pro market. There are many installed in Mega Churches and recording studios and so forth. If you can get one I would snatch it up.

Cherian, Considering what this unit sells for (street price) I'm surprised we don't see alot more of them in members systems. From what I have read and what you have told me , it seems like one heck of a unit.
Dave....What price have you seen for the DPC-1800?

Cherian, what do you think of Balanced power solutions, like the Equitech's or the ExactPower units?

Balanced power is interesting. Still not a big fan of it unless you own a recording studio. I can see balanced power taking out 60Hz transformer humm but not doing much to take out electrical noise coming from the outside world. I have looked inside a Balanced porwer system. It has a large transformer with a center tapped secondary that is bonded to ground. All this will do is reject some common mode but do very little to protect your equipment from outside noise and surges.

Latest posts

Back