RMAF / a cameo appearance

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Let me begin by saying I only spent 5 hours at the show on Saturday. I reconnected with some friends I hadn't seen for several years and that became the priority.

So given the limited amount of time, please consider my observations to be first impressions. So, in random order, here are my comments.

I was able to speak briefly with Jason. He was very busy, as was I with my friends. Unfortunately, I was not able to connect with him or Tim. My sincere apologies to Jason and Tim.

First room I visited was the LINN exhibit. Very intriguing demo with their music server. I found the sound to be on the polite side of the spectrum but nonetheless, engaging. Full bodied, good soundstage, and a righteous midrange.

Right next door was the Nordost room. I stayed for about ten minutes hoping to hear some music. Not to happen. Their rep apparently wanted to explain, ad naseum in my opinion, why Nordost is the greatest thing since apple pie and ice cream. FWIW, I returned to the room on a couple of occasions and guess what, he was still talking. Reminded me of the rabbit / battery commercial. Oh well.

Next stop was the MBL room. I must admit I have always admired their products even though they are very pricey. I heard all three models on display; the Noble line, the 111E, and the 101E. My previous feelings about this manufacturer were verified again. On all three models, the musical presentation was holographic and very engaging. Last time I heard their demo room at CES, circa 2001, I was a bit put off by the "attitude". Not true at this show. Very polite and respectful. The gentleman running the demos asked if anyone had any music they wanted to hear. I was able to hear a couple of my reference cuts. Anyway, for those who haven't heard this line of speakers, I urge you to do so. Might change your mind on how good reproduced music can sound.

On the main floor, where the main attraction was the music vendors, I spent about a half hour at the May Audio booth. The gentleman who helped me was over the top. I told him the type of music I was intereseted in and he pulled out 20 to 30 choices for my consideration as well as explaining the content of each disc. Superb customer service despite the "crunch" of people in this room.

I then visited the Analysis Audio room. For those who aren't familiar, this line of speakers is made in Greece and is apparently the Apogee successor, utilizing full range planar / ribbon technology. On display was the "Amphitryon" with a requisite bass panel of the same size. This system was their current "take no prisoners" model. Approx. cost for the speakers as demoed, $48K. Visually imposing and a large room required. However, the sound just made me sit down and listen. The analogy I would use, again first impressions, is that this system does everyting the ML's do but with more pinache. Liquid, dynamic, seamless, and extremely musical. This room by the way, as was the case with most rooms I visited, was using vinyl for their demo material.

In the vicinity were the Acapella rooms. For those who aren't familiar with this speaker, they are horn based, quite large, and need a very big room to sing. What I found interesting was they were demoing their speakers with large scale orchestral music, which was the same material they used at the CES demos. Having said that, the musical presentation was very "grande".

Then the prize for "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" (read really really big speakers), was the Sound Labs room. They had a four channel surround demo. Each speaker was approximately 9' wide by 9' tall :eek: and set up in a voluminous ballroom. They were playing a recording, made by Sound Labs and others I presume, of a large marching band in some sort of equally large outdoor venue. Some of the sounds, such as the cymbals, were breath taking in their clarity. Other parts of the recording were somewhat distant and blurred. However, I was glad I visited the room just to experience the "enormity" of it all.

John Beveridge was on hand to demo his new electrostatic. Each side is a two piece arrangement with the stat tower next to, I assume a bass module. The room was small and packed with people so I only spent a couple of minutes there. What I did hear was a presentation that I can only describe as silky and ethereal albeit not very engaging. I trust that this was due to the demo room but I would love to have another listen in a room that could do justice to the speakers. I heard that they will be made to order with an approximate cost of $40K.

On the fourth floor, I stopped in to hear the new $20K Sonus Faber Ellipsa speaker. Again, it could have been the room but I found the sound to be very polite and somewhat unengaging. However, they are beautiful speakers.

On this floor, I also visited the Thiel Room to hear the $10K 3.7.s. Sounded a bit aggressive to me but again I believe the room was the culprit. Another somewhat "in your face speaker" was the Vivid Audio? product. I'm not sure if that's the name but they are very high tech looking and shaped like an egg, a very large egg.

Finally, my overall sense of the show. Unlike CES where you have numerous venues spread out all over Las Vegas and an attendance of 120,000 people, this show was an absolute joy. All exhibitors in one place with an attendance, I was told, of about 3,000 people. The result, for those who are familiar with other shows, is an opportunity to visit rooms that are not packed with people and a chance to really talk to the folks who design and demo the systems. I do plan on returning next year given my very positive, albeit brief exposure to the RMAF. Highly recommended to all who can attend in the future.

Oh yes. Upon returning home, I did what I've always done when I return home after listening to six figure systems. I played the CD "Bill Evans / Waltz for Debby" on my system and :D . I am again reminded what an outstanding value ML offers to those who are lucky enough to own a pair.

GG

Last edited:
Gordon, Nice write up ! Your last paragraph speaks volumes !!

Great commentary, Gordon. Nice to hear your insights. Hopefully, I will be able to make it next year and see you there.

GG,

Thanks for the quick synopsis of your RMAF visit. Reading your take on the trip along with Tim's and Alan's makes me want to make sure I make it a point to visit RMAF 2008.

Joey

On display was the "Amphitryon" with a requisite bass panel of the same size. This system was their current "take no prisoners" model. Approx. cost for the speakers as demoed, $40K. Visually imposing and a large room required. However, the sound just made me sit down and listen. The analogy I would use, again first impressions, is that this system does everyting the ML's do but with more pinache. Liquid, dynamic, seamless, and extremely musical. This room by the way, as was the case with most rooms I visited, was using vinyl for their demo material.

FWIW, the model on display was the "Orion", not the "Amphitryon". The former is more or less two of the latter, except for the absence of ribbon on the outer (bass) panels and the different crossover. Price also exactly doubles, $48k as opposed to $24k.

Paulo, thanks for the clarification

Paulo,

When I was in the Analysis Audio room, I spoke with the distributor and he didn't tell me it was called the Orion.

Nonetheless, I assume you spent sometime in this room. What did you think?

GG

Paulo,

When I was in the Analysis Audio room, I spoke with the distributor and he didn't tell me it was called the Orion.

Nonetheless, I assume you spent sometime in this room. What did you think?

GG

I wasn't there at the RMAF, however I saw the pics posted recently here and they clearly are the Orions.

A couple of weeks ago I auditioned the Omega at the US distributor's home/showroom and he mentioned they had a pair of Orions sent to Denver for the show. My impressions of that audition were posted here. Let me just say that if all goes well in the next audition I talk about in that post, the Amphytrions will take the place of my MLs.

Yup. I understand

Paulo,

The Analysis Audio speakers, as demoed at RMAF, were compelling and, as Tim said, made you, better said, forced you to just sit down and listen. They are that good.

The rep told me that the Omega model would be fine for my room size. I look forward to your comments on the Amphitryon.

I suspect, given your acute ability to judge / articulate the qualities of reproduced sound, you will soon be selling your ML's and, if you do, I fully understand.

If I had the room, I'd be seriously considering a similiar move.:eek:

And yes, I understand your comment about ML's and the sound of mylar. The AA's reveal that nuance (mylar vs ribbon technology) in spades.

GG

Last edited:
The Analysis Audio speakers, as demoed at RMAF, were compelling and, as Tim said, made you, better said, forced you to just sit down and listen. They are that good.

The rep told me that the Omega model would be fine for my room size. I look forward to your comments on the Amphitryon.

FYI, I heard the Orions today at the distributor's showroom (the exact same place I heard the Omegas in). I will post my impressions later.

Aw come on, Paulo, at least give us a hint! :D (Better? Worse? The same?)

Better. In essence just like the Omegas but more of everything. Are they worth the $48k they cost? Probably not, especially since you can get maybe 98% of what they can do with the $24k Amphitryons--you lose perhaps the thump you feel on your chest when someone taps on the microphone. We listened for a couple of hours with the full setup and then removed the outer panels, turning the speakers into plain Amphitryons, just for fun. In a bass-transient-heavy couple of tracks (Download's "Microscopic" and "Energy Plan") you lose a bit of the shake-the-wall bass the outer panels can throw at you, but it was mostly still there, just in less quantity. There was also perhaps some room tuning issues as I found the Amphitryon setup slightly better in terms of clarity.

I don't believe the rest of the system was optimal, though--DeHavilland SETs on the tweeters, Spectron on the bass panel of the Amphitryons and with an active xover to the outer panels @ 80 Hz (you know my opinion of SS and the differences I reported earlier on occasion of the Omega audition) plus some $2500 tube preamp I can't remember the brand and which was clearly preventing the whole thing from sounding positively glorious all-around. As my wife so eloquently put it, in other auditions you generally get a sense of the limitations of the speakers; with the Analysis Audio those shortcomings were evidently in the upstream components--it was obvious the speakers were so far above the rest of the system. It was amazing to have a glimpse of their sheer potential in tweakability and fine-tuning across the great variety of options you can think to put in the chain.

I'm yet to audition the Amphitryons with Joule Electras (planned for mid-January). I'm definitely looking forward to that one.

Back