Anybody owns a Summit and has dared to open it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola...if you open your new Summits to see what´s inside, you could void your warranty..

I don't think ML will void your warranty just for opening it up and looking inside. However, if you do unauthorized mods then that's another story. ML sometimes sends replacement parts to the owner as long as the owner is comfortable with doing the parts replacement him/herself. It's usually much easier and safer than packaging and shipping a Summit.

I replaced an Ice Power Amp module in a Summit and posted the procedure with photos on the DIY section. When I did I looked over the amp carefully but did not see any jumpers or other that allowed you to cahnge the voltage. However, I did not open the front cabinet so I don't know what is in there. To change to 220/50z you probably need the replacement part from ML.

If you bought used speakers from the US then would ML make you go through a dealer for parts to make it work for your voltage?. I don't know the answer but I'm confident they would do thier best to support you as long as they didn't violate any trade agreements or disturb thier oversease distributor relations.

Here's the link http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2090

Last edited:
Hello Craig,

when I buy a used speaker system from the US, according to the generous warranty rules of ML I will be left without warranty anyway (also when the speakers would remain in the US), so doing some investigation and modding would not make my situation worse.

Quote:

A Warning to All Valued MartinLogan Customers
The warranty on MartinLogan speakers is NOT VALID if the speakers have been purchased used or from an unauthorized dealer.

Thanks for your response and enjoy the music !!

FireSpy

I never said the warranty was transferable. I was just saying that ML has a reputation for outstanding customer service. They would likely give you instructions and sell you the parts to convert over to 220v/50hz but probably not at the risk of violating any trade or dealer agreements.

You can give ML a call to find out what the real deal is.

Last edited:
I sent an email already before the weekend to ML.

To be frank I don't expect much assistence in solving an issue that was put there deliberately at additional cost and labour in the first place by the same company to avoid me and others to be succesful in getting ML stuff from the US to Europe cheaper than buying in Europe ....

Of course I like surprises and I will be very quick in publishing good news!

I never said the warranty was transferable. I was just saying that ML has a reputation for outstanding customer service. They would likely give you instructions and sell you the parts to convert over to 220v/50hz but probably not at the risk of violating any trade or dealer agreements.

You can give ML a call to find out what the real deal is.
Don't be mistaken to expect any support at all. Just to the opposite.

I ran innocently into the trap of buying Summits during an extended vacation in the US. Yes, the price was a factor (since when is this illegitim in the home country of capitalism?), but not the only one. It was just being there, everything did (seem to) fit, and I paid.

After that, Martin Logan and its dealer organization have been extremely nasty in trying to force me to regret my purchase, which apparently did not conform to how they thought the world should operate.

And they were 100% successful...

Don't be mistaken to expect any support at all. Just to the opposite.

I ran innocently into the trap of buying Summits during an extended vacation in the US. Yes, the price was a factor (since when is this illegitim in the home country of capitalism?), but not the only one. It was just being there, everything did (seem to) fit, and I paid.

After that, Martin Logan and its dealer organization have been extremely nasty in trying to force me to regret my purchase, which apparently did not conform to how they thought the world should operate.

And they were 100% successful...

Apparently Martin Logan thinks it's 1957, not 2007. Shame to see.

I did get an official reply after one week:

"You will need to own the unit for a minimum of 6 months (documented) before we consider voltage conversion as an option. At that time, if you wish to transfer to a different country (voltage/hertz), the conversion charge is $200 plus any shipping required.

Hope this helps.

jp"

I am not sure what to think about it.

The pair of ML's that I wanted to buy on Audiogon are already sold by now.(But of course there will be more)

The good thing is that an exiting alternative came up in the mean time on this forum: Final Sound , they make beautiful electrostats based on a new advanced concept called "Inverter Technology" and I am going to hear them at short notice. I am living in the country where they are made and we have many dealers around.
I am looking for one where I can do an A/B comparison between ML and Final Sound.

(or will have ML have forbidden dealers to sell other electrostats ? )

Enjoy the Music !!!

FireStealth :musicnote: :musicnote:

:rolleyes: I'll give you 10 to 1 that Finals are more expensive here in the Netherlands where they are manufactured than what they pay in the USA. :devil:

I wouldn't bet on that !

I cannot distinguish a pricedifference for Final 400i speakers in the US and Holland, when I exclude factors like US sales taxes and European VAT.

Another point in favour of Final :D ???

ML's strategy to sell in Europe for substantially higher prices than in the US may eventually not give them what the planned .....

Have fun !

FireStealth

I wouldn't bet on that !

I cannot distinguish a pricedifference for Final 400i speakers in the US and Holland, when I exclude factors like US sales taxes and European VAT.

ML's strategy to sell in Europe for substantially higher prices than in the US may eventually not give them what the planned .....

Have fun !

FireStealth

Seriously ... ML is already giving the middle man 100% profit ... Then you add it the ridiculous markup because it's Europe and next thing you know you're paying for the reseller's new Porsche.

I wouldn't bet on that !

Have fun !

FireStealth

Well they probably aren't as good as ML's anyway :p

European Prices

I totally aggree with Klueber and Firestealth and I share the same issue.
I am ready to buy a pair of Vantage's or even Summit's but prices here in Europe (living in Belgium) are more than 40% higher than they are in the US...

Furthermore, for France/Belgium/Nederlands, there is only one importer, no competition. They explain the price gap comes from transportation, taxes and so on. But when I compare prices of Apple computers for example, in the US and in Europe, I see a gap indeed, but not that large. Middlemen must be making comfortable margins here... I have noticed prices are a few percent cheaper in Switzerland (but still much higher than in the us).

We are now in 2007 (world wide globalization trend and Internet open market), and we are stuck with this US/Europe voltage issue. I hope ML will open the market some day and include a 110/220 switch in standard as more and more manufacturers do.

If other people here, like Klueber or Firestealth, have found a solution to this, please let us know.

This is so frustrating because I definitely need my pair of ML, and I am ready to pay the FAIR price of course, but not to throw an additional 40% in the fire.

Thank you for your collaboration...

ML in Europa

I totally agree, If I were living in the US I could get a pair of Vantage
for the same price as a pair of Vista here in Sweden...:mad:

Back