Any Planned Upgrades For 2010?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan to upgrade my listening time. Less gear and more music. I am going to focus on adding to my jazz and blues collections, with minimal additions to my classical and pop/rock collections. I may replace my PS Audio 100C with an Odyssey Khartago as the PS is over 20 yo though it is working perfectly.

Yep - new DAC - hoping for an ARC DAC7.

And maybe a new TT to replace my crappy old Dual 505 should I see something that tickles my fancy on eBay.

You?

better amplification. maybe speaker upgrade if possible, but Im not holding my breathe.

A new pre-pro.
Actual contenders are: classe, krell, bryston , simaudio and anthem.

Must be good for home theater but ideally great for 2 channel.

I don'T intend to buy a 2 ch preamp and a processor.

I don't care for hdmi.

I am building a new dedicated two-channel room in the basement, but there is no definite goal of having it completed this coming year. Room is 18 x 39 feet, the stairs from the upper floor separate the room into a main listening area, with two hallways that lead to a rear media-storage area.

Attachments

• room1.jpg.JPG
    room1.jpg.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 240
  • room2.jpg.jpg
    room2.jpg.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 240
Squeezebox Touch (once it's finally out), and hopefully a C-J CT5 preamp at some point! Will continue tweaking room acoustics along the way.

Last year I added the Summits to my system as the first step in transitioning to an HT system. This year planned purchases are a ML Stage, ML Decent & an
Anthem Statement D2.

This is my hardware upgrade for 2010...a project which is already several years in the making. Amplifiers based on transmitting tubes are becoming popular among the DIY SET crowd, and after sitting in on a few listening sessions, I'd have to admit that some of the designs sound good...very good.

The SET circuit topology doesn't lend itself well to big electrostatic speakers; it can be done but you wind up making too many compromises that likely affect performance in some way.

In the end I penned up this design, a push-pull triode amp based on NOS Eimac 304TL's. Initial tests at low operating points have been quite exciting; even with the output stage running at < 25% under its anticipated operating range, it has far exceeded my expectations.

The goal for this year is to push it up to 90% rated power, get some running time on it, and get it into a custom chassis. The amplifier in the photo is one channel; I actually get to do this twice.

From the start, this amplifier was designed only for use with electrostatic speakers, which is not a usual consideration among those who build triode/transmitter-class amps.

If there is any interest, I could start a thread in the DIY section. I don't really recommending trying to build one of these things, but as it is slated for use with Martin Logans the information might be useful to some.

Tj

Attachments

• amp_MKII_4.jpg.JPG
    amp_MKII_4.jpg.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 230
  • amp_MKII_3.jpg.jpg
    amp_MKII_3.jpg.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 227
Moving from Audio to Cars now. I may do some small tweeks but my main focus if on gettting a new summer car.

Front runners so far

1) Porsche Carrera 2 or 4 (2000 to 2004)

2) BMW M Z4 coupe (2007)

3) Corvette Z06 (2005 or 2006)

I am with Cherian. 430 to 458, same color though:D

Oh and Vistas in the rear channels to CLXs and maybe a new CLX like center channel......but other than that I don't want to be greedy.:D:D

There you go Justin, is that enough beans for you?

Beanz enough, Joe, beanz enough.

Me? Well, the Aps don't look as though they're ever gonna get here this year, so maybe next!

Also, a pair of Mark & Daniel Ruby, Topaz or Sapphire's will find a home somewhere here...

I'm hoping to upgrade at least my cartridge, my phono stage, and my preamp next year. Hopefully some new power cords and a new power conditioner will find their way into my system too. Plus, of course, lots of vinyl!

Fortunately, I am in the process of starting a new business which will hopefully give me ample opportunity to listen to a lot more music!

I think I'm going to start with some room treatments (likely homebrewed) and if things go well with the economy, I'll actually start working on that dedicated room I've been yammering on about almost as long as we've been hearing Rich is gonna post his system!

Soundlab px panels

Smaller Logans for my TV setup

Possibly some Serious, Big amps (big VTL's, big Atma-sphere, big Classe)- would have to travel across the country to get the hear them

I'm doing a new preamp. 4 6SN7s & 2 6SL7s. I might even add an onboard sub crossover to it. Not sure. DC on the heaters via HEXFRED diodes & LM324 regulators. High voltage via the classic 5AR4! Should sound awesome.
I'm doing this in part because I need to sell my McIntosh pre. Need the money.:(

Only two items on my list:

A new Denon BPD-4010UDci Universal BluRay / SACD / DVD-Audio / CD player with DenonLink4 for perfectly clock-synched audio to my preamp.

A JVC RS-25U 1080P projector. I had been hoping for an LED-lit display, but looks like pricing is still too high on those, so a few years with a bulb display seems to be the the option.

Latest posts

Back