Any other Summit X Owners?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe he just has buyers remorse often this will cause people to hate the product they bought as they fixate on the money they spent

Update: Today after dialysis I sat back and listened to my Summit X's and 30 minutes into the cd they just opened up and gave me the once in a lifetime OMG sensation we all crave. The speakers just disappeared and all around me was the music, sweet music. Buyers remorse not a chance! My phone rang and it was roadway. I returned the call and ML has arrange for Roadway to pick up my Summit X's next week either tuesday or thursday since those are the days I am home. I sat there and thought about not returning the speakers since they sound so wonderful and I was catching flake for complaining about a flaw. I know in my heart if I don't send them back to ML and I ever had to sell them the new owner would complain when he felt the flaws. What makes it tough is they are not visable to the naked eye in normal light, but touch the speaker in the 7x7 area and you know its not right. If I left them this way I would still be overwhelmed by their sound and would be happy. But the world has changed and today we have money but tomorrow I could be the one forced to sell everything I own to survive and I could not let some stranger purchase an item that isn't right.

That being said, my dealer has talked to Martin Logan and offered a suggestion to take care of sending the whole speaker back. He suggested they just send me new complete woofer cabinets and let me change them out. In the end, both speakers are going back to ML, and I have another few days to enjoy them before they leave my home.

I want to thank everyone that took the time to comment, even the people that didn't support my views. No hard feeling towards anyone, and we all know ML steps up most of the time. I love my Summit X's flaws and all. I have told my friends I would sell every ML speaker I own and keeps these if times got tough, they just float my boat. Maybe in the end I will be just a 2 channel man thanks to the summit X's.

Why should he have to pay for return shipping? I guess the thousands of dollars he paid for them was not good enough.I would be pi$$ed off if I received a NEW speaker with flaws.The money they are charging,the finish of the speaker should be perfect.Martin Logan needs to step up and control their dealers and quality control.It does seem that the new partners are starting to seriously lack in quality control and customer service.

ahhhh what??? I believe his profile says neverland not the netherlands I would infer that would be in California maybe he could clarify this

My bad,I misread his location.

ahhhh what??? I believe his profile says neverland not the netherlands I would infer that would be in California maybe he could clarify this

The main point was the quality issue.If the man bought them from an authorized dealer it should be taken care of.He should not have to pay for shipping if there is a flaw.It would be like buying a new car with a rough spot on the hood.You obviously would want it fixed or a differant car.

That being said, my dealer has talked to Martin Logan and offered a suggestion to take care of sending the whole speaker back. He suggested they just send me new complete woofer cabinets and let me change them out. In the end, both speakers are going back to ML, and I have another few days to enjoy them before they leave my home.

I hate having to send something back that you have always wanted because of a QC issue.I hope you have a perfect pair soon so you can enjoy. I new somehow between martin logan and your dealer you will work it all out

Neverland...Isn't that where Michael Jackson lives???

Update: Today after dialysis I sat back and listened to my Summit X's and 30 minutes into the cd they just opened up and gave me the once in a lifetime OMG sensation we all crave. The speakers just disappeared and all around me was the music, sweet music. Buyers remorse not a chance! My phone rang and it was roadway. I returned the call and ML has arrange for Roadway to pick up my Summit X's next week either tuesday or thursday since those are the days I am home. I sat there and thought about not returning the speakers since they sound so wonderful and I was catching flake for complaining about a flaw. I know in my heart if I don't send them back to ML and I ever had to sell them the new owner would complain when he felt the flaws. What makes it tough is they are not visable to the naked eye in normal light, but touch the speaker in the 7x7 area and you know its not right. If I left them this way I would still be overwhelmed by their sound and would be happy. But the world has changed and today we have money but tomorrow I could be the one forced to sell everything I own to survive and I could not let some stranger purchase an item that isn't right.

I want to thank everyone that took the time to comment, even the people that didn't support my views. No hard feeling towards anyone, and we all know ML steps up most of the time. I love my Summit X's flaws and all. I have told my friends I would sell every ML speaker I own and keeps these if times got tough, they just float my boat. Maybe in the end I will be just a 2 channel man thanks to the summit X's.

Interesting. ML steps up to the plate, just as Jeff and I predicted. Yet no admission on your part that perhaps you jumped the gun just a little in your impulsive rant. Yesterday, you were trashing ML in multiple threads and listing all your speakers for sale. Today, you couldn't be happier with your Summits. But you seemingly have no self-awareness and certainly no admission of your own impetuosity.

I know Flymair has worked out a deal with ML, but i ran my hand on the
underside of the woofer cabinets on my Spires and they seem just
as well finished as the tops and sides...just an FYI for anyone interested.
I didn't turn them on their sides to view the bottom, but they seem
as flawless as the visible areas.

Interesting. ML steps up to the plate, just as Jeff and I predicted. Yet no admission on your part that perhaps you jumped the gun just a little in your impulsive rant. Yesterday, you were trashing ML in multiple threads and listing all your speakers for sale. Today, you couldn't be happier with your Summits. But you seemingly have no self-awareness and certainly no admission of your own impetuosity.

They only stepped up saying they would look at them. I am still paying the shipping! I told them i would take them to a dealer thats 160 miles from me and hire a person to stay with my mom while I made the trip. I was told even if the dealer said there was an issue, it would be a subjective view and that ML has the last say. Well, sure they do step up but lets be realistic, 4 times my Depth i went to them for repairs in 2 months, and on the third repair they sent me a BRAND NEW ONE! I unpack the item and it doesnt work, now thats quality control. So once again I have to ship it back at my expense! No matter what I still love the sound of ML's that hasn't changed. I just don't like being told they are not flawed when they haven't even looked at them, and thats what I was told over the phone. I was just being dismissed! Yet when I suggest taking it to a SCS Home Entertainment, in springfield, Missouri I am asked who the heck are they! Come on, they are on your list of dealers. They sold me my first set of Logans.

Yes I am floored by the sound, smooth as silk. But they are flawed and after you spend hours on the phone for a week and get nowhere your views change. You get in the mindset that the speakers must be okay, since a person, x amount of miles away says they are without even looking at them. As far as I am concerned people that get given items to review just because they convience dealers that their publications are what gets them to buy the gear in the first place suffer from a GOD complex!

What makes that person the be all end all in audio. Do these reviewers design, and build units. Heck no, most just use fancy words to describe a amp that sound like finger nails across a chalk board. What makes these people the experts, do they have a PHD in advanced audio listening? :ROFL: No most just have a wasted college degree in Liberal Arts with a minor in creative writing.We like what we like and we do not need to be told by anyone but ourselves what sounds good to us. Sure Jeff gets stuff form ML, fine lucky him. But they shouldn't give him the right to tell me I am not being treated the way i am being treated. just because he has a special relationship with ML. Me I am just a guy that has to pay for everything, I don't ask for hand outs from any maker of anything. If I want something i buy it, regardless if anyone else likes the item.

Everyone thinks I am a stupid jerk, fine! So quick to judge you know absolutely nothing about me and my life. Guess i need to order a snob meter, anyone have one for sale? :ROFL: :bowdown:

if their is one thing I have learned on this planet is that nothing no matter what is perfect and nomatter how much you spent it is not worth getting that upset about.a word about jeff: just read some of my earlier posts I hated reviewers but he has reniewed my confidence and some of his recommendations have led me to sonic nirvana so I would step off ! His integrity seems to be very sound and their are no secret handshakes going on if that's what you think

As far as I am concerned people that get given items to review just because they convience dealers that their publications are what gets them to buy the gear in the first place suffer from a GOD complex!

What makes that person the be all end all in audio. Do these reviewers design, and build units. Heck no, most just use fancy words to describe a amp that sound like finger nails across a chalk board. What makes these people the experts, do they have a PHD in advanced audio listening? :ROFL: No most just have a wasted college degree in Liberal Arts with a minor in creative writing.We like what we like and we do not need to be told by anyone but ourselves what sounds good to us.

Duly noted. However, I think you should do a little fact checking before you make such broad statements in the future.

Don't know much about Jeff at Tone Audio but i do appreciate
that he takes his time to respond to many queries on this site.
He certainly has a lot of exposure to different products so he's
a good source of information and i value his opinion....And
Flykmair, i'm sure he pays for his equipment, although maybe
at cost, but i don't begrudge him that benefit since
he provides a good service. I don't want to turn this into an
ass kissing rant, Jeff can defend himself, but 14k is a lot of
money, so i can see where you'd want perfection. Wish we
could see these imperfections you speak of, but we can't
'cause you say they're not visible.

I personally am checking out of this one before it gets any uglier. all I have to say is I hope your new speakers are made as nice as possible and you can get back to jamming !

Jeff (Tonepub): It is my belief that your experience differs from most of the world in many cases. I'm sure ML double and triple checks the gear being sent to you for review. Your expereince perhaps would be different if you were to go out to a local dealer and randomly buy a pair from stock.

I purchased a pair of Mosaics (for $1200) that were absolutely perfect...go figgure.

That's hard to say, because all of the mfrs claim that they send us and the other magazines random samples. However, I have to say that I was very impressed with the amount of QC I've seen at all of the mfr's I've visited, ML included.

I've told more than one mfr. I'd much rather I get the one defective box than a customer, because I've got plenty of other stuff to listen to and it won't upset my world like it will for an end user.

That being said, it is our policy that if we do get a defective unit or it breaks during the review period, if it is repaired correctly and in a timely manner that we won't talk about it in the review. If a piece of gear breaks twice in the review period, we send it back and the review is cancelled.

However, even when I was not a reviewer, I still bought more than my fair share of gear at or close to retail and whenever I purchased something that cost more than about $1000, or weighed a lot, I made sure it was unboxed at the dealer and perfect before I took it home. I would do the same if I went to a ML dealer and bought a pair.

This was a lesson I learned when selling hifi gear in the Mid 80's, because once the customer gets it home and is unhappy, the chances of undoing the damage is much smaller. I think this situation is the perfect case in point.

My old boss used to get mad at me for pulling things out of the box before they went out the door, but I never got any returns either. And I think a few of you took some of my remarks out of context. I certainly think that one is entitled to perfection when paying $14,000 for a hifi component. But I also think anyone intelligent enough to earn the money required to be able afford a $14,000 pair of speakers, should also have enough common sense to make someone pull em out of the box before you take delivery, if for no other reason to make sure you have a case should your carrier damage them in delivery.

There is no worse feeling than writing a big check for something you really want and having it be defective or DOA. Been there, done that more times than I care to remember.

I just don't think an internet forum is the place to start complaining about a mfr. unless all other options have been exhausted. Any mfr., not just MartinLogan.

And, just to set the record straight, while I have an item or two on long term loan at this point in time, 95% of my three systems is owned outright, as are the systems of all of my reviewers. None of the other hifi magazines can make this claim.

Ok - everybody - lets just kiss and make up!! :) Somewhere this got personal - or so it seems. I hope the OP gets his speakers handled - and as many have mentioned -and I agree with - Jeff is a boatload of info and I for one certainly appreciate his posts. I think it is 'ok' to lodge beefs within this forum with just about anything. There is nothing particularly sacred about the internet - I don't think. I think some of you are probably closer to the situation though -and probably more sensitive to it (Jeff writes online reviews and has an online mag for chrissakes!!! - so I might see how the internet forum may be something he takes to heart since it is his professional playground).

Anyway - Fly - I hope your speakers come back flawless - and I hope you don't chew your fingers off waiting for them...

And for the other folks.... I love you guys!!! :)

I personally am checking out of this one before it gets any uglier. all I have to say is I hope your new speakers are made as nice as possible and you can get back to jamming !

Wow, flykmair is starting his rants again... I have been away on vacation in Cabo for 10 days, and have missed all the action on here...
I just hope Mr Neverland does not start again to get detailed about his (unbelievable) personal life disaster stories in his posts ... If any of you have not read them, you may want to do a search to see what I am talking about...

I just checked in but I think I am checking out of this one quickly, because this flykmair character is just too much for me to handle! I am starting to get more and more conviced that this guy is a troll... sorry, I said it - the truth hurts!
out

Wow, flykmair is starting his rants again... I have been away on vacation in Cabo for 10 days, and have missed all the action on here...
I just hope Mr Neverland does not start again to get detailed about his (unbelievable) personal life disaster stories in his posts ... If any of you have not read them, you may want to do a search to see what I am talking about...

I just checked in but I think I am checking out of this one quickly, because this flykmair character is just too much for me to handle! I am starting to get more and more conviced that this guy is a troll... sorry, I said it - the truth hurts!
out

Ok... You are as simple minded as they come. You assume that a person is deceiving you because what they say isn't happening to you. In your perfect world others tradegy's are something you dismiss and laugh at and just turn your back. I have never met you, but your hatred towards me clearly shows. You have clearly said I don't have what I own, and that the other issues are a made up story. Think what you want, I have stated numerous times my life is an open book and all my statements can be verified if one takes the time to really check. But, no you would rather call me a troll, liar, jerk, etc then actually find out anything about me. You have never been here, never called, but your X-ray vision shows you what you need to see. You are just showing me you are > prejudice < and you are not alone here.

Timm, Thanks for funny comment about chewing your fingers off! And Spread the love!

That's hard to say, because all of the mfrs claim that they send us and the other magazines random samples.

Ken Kessler's review of the Spire, previously posted by Userxxx (sorry Justin, I forgot your numbers!) claimed that the 2 speakers were off by almost 4db when the magazine actually measured them. Maybe there are some QC issues at play...

David - I tried to explain that one in the thread you are talking about, and it's not the disaster you might think, IMHO. It's pretty typical for them to measure a roughish frequency response on MLs - the panels always seem to show the same traits. Track down the thread for more info...

I personally think it is just the way the panels behave, and not a QC issue.

Flykmair you wrote: " No most just have a wasted college degree in Liberal Arts with a minor in creative writing.

The creative writing minor just about sums up all of your posts!

Latest posts

Back