Any other Summit X Owners?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flykmair

Reaction score
I need help! If any of you own Summit X's please run the palm of your hand over your complete woofer cases and let me know if the finish is smooth over the complete box or if you have rough areas? Heck a stupid microfiber cloth hitting the flawed area sounds like I am wiping my Speakers with sand paper. My FED EX driver wouldnt even take these the way they are. He looked at me and said thats messed up. So please, regardless of how you feel about me, can you please check your Martin Logan Summit X's.

Thanks Mike :bowdown:

call Jim Powers at Martin Logan they are the ones who made them.he is cool and can be helpful

Spire owners please check too!

call Jim Powers at Martin Logan they are the ones who made them.he is cool and can be helpful

I called, after many times. Then after getting angry they agreed to look at them. I have to pay shipping back to them. They are willing to arrange for me to get shipping at their cost. They changed the process on the finish and are trying to tell me the finish isn't flawed. They say its a subjective thing. :eek: Well of the 3 people whom have felt my speakers all agree there is an issue. I have dealt with them before, but times have changed and it is showing me things there have changed, tough times for everyone. I am just trying to see if any Summit X owners have the rough patches on their woofer cabinets. I was told the Spires cabinets go thru the same process also. So now I need to start a post asking if any Spires owners have this rough areas on their cabinets also.

So any Spires or Summit X owners with Dark Cherry finish please check!

Thanks Mike

wood is a natural product and microfiber hooks to everything I will not even own any furniture made out of it because I work with my hands for a living and it even hooks to my skin the way you describe. can we see a pic of this ???

I checked my Summit X's and no problem, no rough spots. It looks beautiful, surely as good as some of the more expensive European cabinets. My cabinet is in dark cherry also.

If it is as bad as you say, I bet ML will make it right.

wood is a natural product and microfiber hooks to everything I will not even own any furniture made out of it because I work with my hands for a living and it even hooks to my skin the way you describe. can we see a pic of this ???

Well from what I understand from ML, is they sand, then stain and then clear- coat. It is very possible that the clearcoat isnt on all the surface area. this clearcoat gives the speaker the shine and protects the finish of the wood as you know. Also clearcoat does fill the gaps and applied think enough gives you that slide over the wood and smooth feeling. Working on photo's!

Just unpacked 004 and 005 from Feb and they are flawless. As are my Spires.

I want to personally thank you for checking your Summit X's made right before mine and your Spires. Thanks Again, Jeff

PS : You might want to close your eyes when you read my other reply on Dealer checking before shipping. I might have been a touch cruel... LOL

Thanks Again Though, Mike

i had my Spires delivered on 10/3/08....they are black ash and the
woofer cabinets are flawless. In fact, the speaker doesn't have a
single blemish, which is rare actually. On my Montanas, which are
beautiful in piano black, there's a little smudge mark, looks like
from a finger, which is underneath the clear- coat . It's really
small so it doesn't bother me....they're so well built, solid and
attractive. I couldn't find any imperfection on the Spires though.
I was really impressed with the finish.

Hello,
I own Premiere Audio Video in Cullman, Al. If any of my clients have issues with the products they buy and the manufacturer does not pay to have faulty inwarranty products shipped back then we pay it for our customers. That is supposed to be the benefit to using brick and mortar dealers. Customer Satisfaction!!!! I would demand that your dealer cover your costs. I would!! sorry you did not buy from us
John

My Summit X are numbers 2 & 3 built in March. The underneath side of them (black ash) has a rougher, unfinished feel than the rest of the cabinet. I haven't laid them down to look at the bottom yet.

I'm sorry but this really doesn't bother me at all. I probably wouldn't even care if it were just painted MDF since it is not a part of the speaker that is ever seen.

Considering though that these are hand assembled and cost $14k I would expect a little more from ML but again it doesn't bother me (and I am VERY picky about my stuff!).

I want to personally thank you for checking your Summit X's made right before mine and your Spires. Thanks Again, Jeff

PS : You might want to close your eyes when you read my other reply on Dealer checking before shipping. I might have been a touch cruel... LOL

Thanks Again Though, Mike

Sure your being a "touch cruel" is fun and maybe a bit harsh. But think about this before you go on a tirade again...

All of this dialog is now googleable.

MartinLogan is one of the most customer centric companies in the industry and the problem you have here is clearly a dealer issue, not a ML issue. However when someone googles Summit X six months from now and sees all this, who knows how many potential Summit X sales ML will lose because you decided to be "a touch cruel"?

How do you think it would fit your world, if every time you made a mistake in your line of work, people you worked with got on an internet forum started bagging on how incompetent you were before you even had a chance to fix the problem?

Bet it would seriously affect your salary at the next job interview.

Don't get me wrong, no one thinks that hifi mfrs should offer stellar service for the prices asked on todays gear than I do. And if you payed anywhere near retail for your speakers, your dealer made MORE than enough money on you to make this right.

But getting on the internet and sniping about a really good company before they've really had time to make it right is irresponsible.

wow- I'm not sure I agree with you jeff... Notice, I didn't include anyone's post to avoid the googleability!! :) He paid a lot of money - he has given the company an opportunity to make it right - but the company has said that he has to PAY to make it right via the shipping. Maybe it is a dealer issue - but should ML talk to the dealer to make it right?

Why didn't they offer something like - 'You pay for shipping - but if it is a defect - we will reimburse you' ? Or - 'we'll give the dealer a call' - to try to arrange something with the dealer?

I don't think this guy should have to pay for this - and I don't think posting about it is a crime either.

Its a checks and balances world we live in...

I was going to stay out of this one, but . . . oh well, here goes:

I agree with Jeff. Mike is going out of his way to blow this up into a much bigger issue than it really is. Martin Logan makes very clear on their website what the terms of their warranty are:

If returned, the product must be properly packaged and shipped to MartinLogan or an authorized MartinLogan repair center by the customer at his or her sole expense.
excerpted from Here

Moreover, if Mike has dealt with them on a previous problem with a subwoofer as he says in another thread on this same subject, then he was well aware of this policy when he bought these speakers. Knowing that, he could easily have checked them for flaws before he accepted them, or had his dealer do so.

I find it interesting that Mike goes on and on about how egregious this alleged defect is (in multiple threads, no less), and yet he unboxed these speakers, set them up, and burned them in for several days before he noticed it. :confused: Perhaps if he posted a picture of the defect, as he promised in the other thread, we could better understand how bad of a defect it is. But instead he just goes on and on about how awful he is being treated by ML (even though he was completely aware of their warranty policy when he bought the speakers).

Regardless, if it is a quality control issue with ML, they will make it right and his dealer should assist him in doing so given the amount of money Mike says he has spent with them. Defects do make it past quality control, and that is why we have warranties. But ML is known to have some of the best customer service in the business and I just don't think Mike is being realistic in his tirade. Just my opinion, of course.

I totally agree with Timm.

The dealer did not make these speakers.Does the dealer now have to open every box to check for issues with what he gets?
I agree the dealer should help as best he can but they are not in the business of QC.

Best,
Bob

I was going to stay out of this one, but . . . oh well, here goes:

I agree with Jeff. Mike is going out of his way to blow this up into a much bigger issue than it really is. Martin Logan makes very clear on their website what the terms of their warranty are:

excerpted from Here

Moreover, if Mike has dealt with them on a previous problem with a subwoofer as he says in another thread on this same subject, then he was well aware of this policy when he bought these speakers. Knowing that, he could easily have checked them for flaws before he accepted them, or had his dealer do so.

I find it interesting that Mike goes on and on about how egregious this alleged defect is (in multiple threads, no less), and yet he unboxed these speakers, set them up, and burned them in for several days before he noticed it. :confused: Perhaps if he posted a picture of the defect, as he promised in the other thread, we could better understand how bad of a defect it is. But instead he just goes on and on about how awful he is being treated by ML (even though he was completely aware of their warranty policy when he bought the speakers).

Regardless, if it is a quality control issue with ML, they will make it right and his dealer should assist him in doing so given the amount of money Mike says he has spent with them. Defects do make it past quality control, and that is why we have warranties. But ML is known to have some of the best customer service in the business and I just don't think Mike is being realistic in his tirade. Just my opinion, of course.

maybe he just has buyers remorse often this will cause people to hate the product they bought as they fixate on the money they spent

maybe he just has buyers remorse often this will cause people to hate the product they bought as they fixate on the money they spent

I doubt that. I got early production Summits and the finish was horrible, so I can attest to the fact that poor examples can and do get out of the factory from time to time. Fortunatly, I was able to have my high end cabinet guy refinish them at a far lower cost then sending them back to ML, but not everyone has my resources.

Jeff (Tonepub): It is my belief that your experience differs from most of the world in many cases. I'm sure ML double and triple checks the gear being sent to you for review. Your expereince perhaps would be different if you were to go out to a local dealer and randomly buy a pair from stock.

I purchased a pair of Mosaics (for $1200) that were absolutely perfect...go figgure.

I doubt that. I got early production Summits and the finish was horrible, so I can attest to the fact that poor examples can and do get out of the factory from time to time. Fortunatly, I was able to have my high end cabinet guy refinish them at a far lower cost then sending them back to ML, but not everyone has my resources.

Jeff (Tonepub): It is my belief that your experience differs from most of the world in many cases. I'm sure ML double and triple checks the gear being sent to you for review. Your expereince perhaps would be different if you were to go out to a local dealer and randomly buy a pair from stock.

I purchased a pair of Mosaics (for $1200) that were absolutely perfect...go figgure.

whatever the case I hope it turns out for the better

Did you notice he is in the Netherlands

Why should he have to pay for return shipping? I guess the thousands of dollars he paid for them was not good enough.I would be pi$$ed off if I received a NEW speaker with flaws.The money they are charging,the finish of the speaker should be perfect.Martin Logan needs to step up and control their dealers and quality control.It does seem that the new partners are starting to seriously lack in quality control and customer service.

Back