Any Other Prima Luna CDP Owners Here?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I have a problem with my Prima Luna CDP and was wondering if anyone else on the site has one too and has encountered the same problem.

After I have operated the player for about 20 minutes I get distortion and reduced output from the right channel. I have swapped tubes between channels, and the problem stays on the right. When I switch output cables from the CDP the problem moves over to the other side.

I called Upscale Audio, the North American distributor. They have never heard of such a problem before with the CDP. BTW we are spoiled by the service we get from the likes of M-L and ARC; Upscale Audio just does not compare in their customer service (no response to a web enquiry, and no call-back).

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you have a problem Bernard. Here's a new one for you from Silverstone (assuming it works!):D

Joking aside, hope you get it sorted.

Attachments

• SDC11744.jpg
    SDC11744.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 215
Hi Bernard:

Say, did you swap all of the tubes or just some?

I don't have mine anymore, but passed it on to our music editor where it's still chugging away just fine. Is it still under warranty?

Drop me a PM when you have a chance!

Hi Jeff,

I swapped all of the tubes. The problem stayed in the right channel. I just noticed today that it does occur right away after powerup sometimes.

It is still under warranty. I am taking it to the dealer in Montreal tomorrow; I'm also going to a chocolate show in Montreal tomorrow - lots of free samples of chocolate from various countries and different amounts of cocoa. It was great last year. :)

Bernard

Last edited:
Simillar problem

Hi,

I just saw this post when googling primaluna and martin logan to find out if they match :)

But I have similar problem with my Primaluna CD 8, Always from cold turn on after about 5min I get strange noise sounds from both channels for about 15sec and then it´s all ok. I sent an email to the support in Netherlands and I got some advice to cut some wires inside to fix it :( But I can´t get myself to do that to my CDP so I just live with this problem instead.

regards,
Yngvi Thor

Hi Jeff,

I swapped all of the tubes. The problem stayed in the right channel. I just noticed today that it does occur right away after powerup sometimes.

It is still under warranty. I am taking it to the dealer in Montreal tomorrow; I'm also going to a chocolate show in Montreal tomorrow - lots of free samples of chocolate from various countries and different amounts of cocoa. It was great last year. :)

Bernard

I wish i could go !

Hi,

I just saw this post when googling primaluna and martin logan to find out if they match :)

But I have similar problem with my Primaluna CD 8, Always from cold turn on after about 5min I get strange noise sounds from both channels for about 15sec and then it´s all ok. I sent an email to the support in Netherlands and I got some advice to cut some wires inside to fix it :( But I can´t get myself to do that to my CDP so I just live with this problem instead.

regards,
Yngvi Thor

That sounds like a tube issue. Have you tried replacing the rectifier tubes with a pair that are known to be good? I've had that problem before. Worth a try before you cut wires.

Tubes are wonderful but they can drive you crazy too!

regards,
Yngvi Thor
I have no problem with cutting wires, though I find that to be an unacceptable solution, especially since it might void the warranty as viewed by the distributor.

I got the problem with my CDP fixed.....I think!

A HUGE vote of thanks goes to Jeff (tonepub), who had Herman van den Dungen (the guy who runs Prima Luna) contact me after I took the unit to the dealer in Montreal. Herman suggested that they cut out a capacitor in the unit. The dealer listened to the CDP for 2 hours before performing the surgery, but heard no problem....and I thought only cars were supposed to be temperamental, working fine at the dealer!

They cut out the capacitor, and I picked up the CDP last Saturday. I listened to it and did not hear the problem again. If anything, the unit seems to sound better, with a deeper soundstage and better low-level detail.

Thanks Jeff !

Happy to help!

Herman has become a good friend over the years and he's a great guy to deal with...

Glad you are back to listening!

BTW when I went to the dealer I saw something that would make me very happy if I could afford them - a pair of ARC 610T's. Unfortunately they were in a static display.

Back