Another Martin Logan price increase coming August 1st.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not so sure I understand.

Simple, because the 100 different panels you speak of are all produced in exactly the same way. It is just a matter of different size. The only exception to that I can think of is the CLX bass panel.

Of course - good business practice would have seen these panels produced with common parts and backward compatability and sizes over the years. I'm not sure how we get to over 100 different panels (that's nigh on a different panel for every different model produced - madness!) - but so be it. As I said earlier, they're all exactly the same thing. I'm really not seeing how this is a complex thing.
Well I've watched a panel built at the factory, it's not simple, its not automated. It's an art that is learned and perfected. At this point the newer models are produced in a more modern manufacturing process, they are modular and made to be easily replaced rather than repaired. But thats simply not the way thing were done in the high-end audio world 40 years ago. Now there are 2 individuals who are trained on the building of retired panels. So as stated its a slow labor-intensive process on the older models. And let's be perfectly honest with each other, no manufacturer is going to put maximum effort in the support of decades old products. They newer products are superior; the current and future products are and should be the emphasis. As I said before I don't know of any speaker manufacturer that supports products this old as well as Martin Logan does. I for one am appreciative of that.

And let's be perfectly honest with each other, no manufacturer is going to put maximum effort in the support of decades old products.

Again - I'm not sure I agree. And for two reasons:

1. We're not talking about Chinese microwaves here - we're talking about a once-in-a-lifetime purchase for many customers, sometimes who spend more than their car.

2. We're talking about a consumable component! If they're not making circuit boards (for argument's sake), then I'd have no problem taking said circuit board to a electronics shop to get it repaired. But;
a. The panels are consumable!
b. The panels are unrepairable (not feasible anyway)

The speakers are thrown in the rubbish if you can't replace panels. That is really significant. (and no, it's not a Chinese dollar-store microwave).

That is a key difference.

Mmm... some very valid points here. It's a real grapple for nearly every type of business/ tech company to keep offering replacement parts after decades of service, even when certain items are discontinued. That's really outstanding service! And no, there's no other company that does this, not many either when it comes to electronics gear. I know of some very well known brands (ones that I'm currently using) that won't even bother to talk to anyone with obsolete gear. Not even a reply on email... can't be bothered... So forget about a phone call!

I remember back in the day, when we sold Maggie's, they were a great company to deal with but they didn't get directly involved with any customer for anything. They relied upon their dealers to make that connection. Only rarely was I able to get through over the phone because we had a serious problem of ribbon tweeters sagging and eventually snapping due to harsh tropical climes.
Now, there's no way they would take calls. That's all upto the dealer who sold the speakers. "It's their baby now," that's the norm I was told.

Our ML Aus distributor is also very supportive and they'll do everything they can to help out in their capacity. There are a few stat experts here who've been highly trained and skilled in stats, and have been at it for decades. Whenever something major is required, these chaps are called upon to help. I've seen them in action, they really know what they're doing. I remember one of them said that he's getting quite old and finds it difficult to handle delicate tricky work due to arthritis in his hands. Said would love to teach me one day but it will take a few years to perfect... probably longer depending on the work. I nearly opted but once in a while I like a few beers! Apparently you have to be completely sober whiles doing work on high voltages... no kidding! Should have learned the trade though.

There are only a handful who know this type of work, and they're getting rarer by the year. The younger gen is just not interested. I can certainly understand why ML would take several months to produce fully operational panels. That's definitely labour intensive.

Cheers to ML!
RJ

Juuuuust coordinated another acquisition with Shawn, beating the increase. 15As in basalt black will eventually make their way to me...

Thanks Shawn!
Very nice mate! Those Ren15a's are outstanding stats! I've had the pleasure of chasing these for a few years as they were on my short list as final speakers. I auditioned these with two types of amplification at the time, CJ's ART150 and the Pass Labs XA160.8's, it was awe-inspiring! Preamps were the Momentum by Dan D and CJ's GAT pre. It was extremely hard to decide which type of presentation I preferred but since I'm very passionate about tubes, it was CJ, and then ended up with CLX's the rest is history!

I'm sure you've got the room for these and the right amplification to drive them optimally, they do require the very best or should I say, partner these with real top quality gear and that's exactly what they deliver! I guess same goes with any ML stats, hybrid or not.

Send us some pics when they arrive and you've got them firing away!

Now that deserves a mighty WOOF!!!
Best, RJ

Thanks RJ! Due to the optional color, it'll probably be a few months yet.

They will be *quite* the step up from my ~1995 Aerius speakers (repaneled a couple years ago, and I've owned them since new.)

The room is large with vaulted ceilings. It's "open floor plan" so it's my living room, dining room and kitchen, and it opens to my entry, a hallway and two other rooms. The main room is over 7,000 cu ft, so I think the 15s should be a solid improvement. I'm getting kinda giddy thinking about it!

Last edited:
Mmm... some very valid points here. It's a real grapple for nearly every type of business/ tech company to keep offering replacement parts after decades of service, even when certain items are discontinued. That's really outstanding service! And no, there's no other company that does this, not many either when it comes to electronics gear. I know of some very well known brands (ones that I'm currently using) that won't even bother to talk to anyone with obsolete gear. Not even a reply on email... can't be bothered... So forget about a phone call!

I remember back in the day, when we sold Maggie's, they were a great company to deal with but they didn't get directly involved with any customer for anything. They relied upon their dealers to make that connection. Only rarely was I able to get through over the phone because we had a serious problem of ribbon tweeters sagging and eventually snapping due to harsh tropical climes.
Now, there's no way they would take calls. That's all upto the dealer who sold the speakers. "It's their baby now," that's the norm I was told.

Our ML Aus distributor is also very supportive and they'll do everything they can to help out in their capacity. There are a few stat experts here who've been highly trained and skilled in stats, and have been at it for decades. Whenever something major is required, these chaps are called upon to help. I've seen them in action, they really know what they're doing. I remember one of them said that he's getting quite old and finds it difficult to handle delicate tricky work due to arthritis in his hands. Said would love to teach me one day but it will take a few years to perfect... probably longer depending on the work. I nearly opted but once in a while I like a few beers! Apparently you have to be completely sober whiles doing work on high voltages... no kidding! Should have learned the trade though.

There are only a handful who know this type of work, and they're getting rarer by the year. The younger gen is just not interested. I can certainly understand why ML would take several months to produce fully operational panels. That's definitely labour intensive.

Cheers to ML!
RJ
Reminds me a bit of the watch repair business.

They will be *quite* the step up from my ~1995 Aeries speakers (repaneled a couple years ago, and I've owned them since new.)

The room is large with vaulted ceilings. It's "open floor plan" so it's my living room, dining room and kitchen, and it opens to my entry, a hallway and two other rooms. The main room is over 7,000 cu ft, so I think the 15s should be a solid improvement. I'm getting kinda giddy thinking about it!
How long did the original panels last you? Sounds like the Aeries were great speakers. So were those about 25 years old when replaced?

How long did the original panels last you? Sounds like the Aeries were great speakers. So were those about 25 years old when replaced?
I had noticed a few years ago that the right channel was rolled off vs the left. That speaker had been in direct sunlight at a prior residence, and I'm sure that took its toll. Even with that, I'd put it at about 18 years of service before I noticed.

The key lesson is absolutely to keep them protected from UV.

They will be *quite* the step up from my ~1995 Aeries speakers (repaneled a couple years ago, and I've owned them since new.)

Ah! Very nice mate. In fact, interesting you mentioned open plan... I've got a very similar setting- lounge area, dinning area towards the back and a full kitchen area across to the right, plus a hallway leading to the rooms behind the audio system starting from the far right channel. Initially it took quite a while to get it right, lots of trial and error. During the home build, things sounded bit thin and dry then I placed acoustic materials inside the walls so as to conceal them, and got a few professionals to do the final placement. They created a dedicated listening area within an open plan setting, and we used the hallway to filter out any unwanted bass frequencies, it worked wonders!

The added space allows the CLX's to fully propel its LF extension with superb dynamics and detail that are virtually limitless including the extremes in HF extension. It's a real marvel to experience this, and it doesn't quite work so well in fully enclosed rooms. It must have space to breathe as long as there's no echo affect. At the same time, the room shouldn't be dead either, just the right balance is all that's required, and once those parameters have been properly addressed, the soundstage snaps into place like focusing a camera lense. It's a wonderful thing!

I'm sure you'll have much fun placing the Ren15a's in your spacious room, after all, with dual powered bass drivers, they do require plenty of room to perform optionally.
Outstanding stuff mate, keep us posted.
That color sounds exquisite!
Cheers, RJ

Ive decided to order 1 each of all masterpiece items (accept 15a as I ordered a pair of them already and being the highest price, they eat up the budget lol) . I will offer the old pricing on each of these until sold. Also, I am going to order in gloss black, but if anyone has a special request for a finish that they want to have in stock I can do that, but I need to know ASAP. Finally keep in mind I only have 1 of each but this is a way to possibly extend the old pricing for everyone here for a bit.

I wanted to comment on what I have learned about replacement panels. This isnt a simple issue. Building these replacement panels is a highly complicated labor-intensive proposition. And there are nearly 100 different panels that have existed over time. The have been able to produce these panels but as the line evolves it becomes more difficult to offer them all. That being said as of today they will take orders for any speaker, at the moment the build backlog is about 6 months. I will comment that really all things considered thats remarkable. What other speaker manufacturer offers replacements on speakers up to 40 years old? And all things considered the price is very reasonable as in most cases the new panel is also including technologies that didnt exist for the original. It has been and continues to be a true commitment to the Matin Logan brand and ideal, as well as the loyal customers that have grown with the company. The world has changed a lot in 40 years, hell its changed a lot the last 3 years, and I believe that Martin Logan will continue to evolve in a way that keeps up their traditions, values and the commitment to its customers.
Excellent informative post, it is much appreciated. I couldn’t agree with you more on the world changing over the last 40 years and especially the last 3.
We need to keep the info on this subject right. Racero I’m not sure who you talked to at ML but some of what you said is just not correct. I have a pair of Odyssey panels on order with a ML order#, the order was put in the system 6-1-22. The panels will be done and ready to ship sometime in November which goes right along with the approximate 6 month waiting list. The panels ARE NOT PAID FOR until they are built and ready to ship. So you order them, they build them, they then contact you and you make the payment then they are shipped to you. This is all from Ron who is the ML service tech I’ve been dealing with who by the way has been absolutely great answering all of my questions and giving me excellent info on the process the panels are built and delivered. Excellent customer service no question about that and very refreshing in these times. Just wanted to clear that up.

Again - I'm not sure I agree. And for two reasons:

1. We're not talking about Chinese microwaves here - we're talking about a once-in-a-lifetime purchase for many customers, sometimes who spend more than their car.

2. We're talking about a consumable component! If they're not making circuit boards (for argument's sake), then I'd have no problem taking said circuit board to a electronics shop to get it repaired. But;
a. The panels are consumable!
b. The panels are unrepairable (not feasible anyway)

The speakers are thrown in the rubbish if you can't replace panels. That is really significant. (and no, it's not a Chinese dollar-store microwave).

That is a key difference.
I think you are missing the point completely. Can you name any other speaker company, or audio electronics manufacturer that supplies parts for all of their discontinued products that are 40 years old? Really any luxury item? I don't even believe high end auto makers do this directly. So Martin Logan is actually going above and beyond in my opinion. Also is something designed to last 20-40 years really a consumable.

Excellent informative post, it is much appreciated. I couldn’t agree with you more on the world changing over the last 40 years and especially the last 3.
We need to keep the info on this subject right. Racero I’m not sure who you talked to at ML but some of what you said is just not correct. I have a pair of Odyssey panels on order with a ML order#, the order was put in the system 6-1-22. The panels will be done and ready to ship sometime in November which goes right along with the approximate 6 month waiting list. The panels ARE NOT PAID FOR until they are built and ready to ship. So you order them, they build them, they then contact you and you make the payment then they are shipped to you. This is all from Ron who is the ML service tech I’ve been dealing with who by the way has been absolutely great answering all of my questions and giving me excellent info on the process the panels are built and delivered. Excellent customer service no question about that and very refreshing in these times. Just wanted to clear that up.
I am happy to hear this is going the way it should Dan. FYI if you order panels from me, I can save you 10-15% off of direct!

I had noticed a few years ago that the right channel was rolled off vs the left. That speaker had been in direct sunlight at a prior residence, and I'm sure that took its toll. Even with that, I'd put it at about 18 years of service before I noticed.

The key lesson is absolutely to keep them protected from UV.
Thats good to know. A year ago or so I replaced my Prodigy panels and they dont get direct sunlight at all in the room they are in. Our dust level is decent too since we have multiple air cleaners in the house, including a whole home electrostatic. We dont smoke and our only pet is a hairless cat! I hope these panels last a long time. We use air conditioning too, so low humidity. We do use a humidifier in the winter but that just gets the house to nomal levels.

I was very pleased with the new panels I got and the whole process. It took longer than they originally told me, but that was more than a year ago and my original quote I think was only about 3 months back then. Ron does a great job. The packaging the panels came in was excellent and very impressive to me. Shipment was flawless!

Back