Affordable DAC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have yet to try the PS DL3 Dac with my cheap-o Sony CD Changer... Maybe this weekend I'll give it a whirl and report back..

Just picked up and hooked up my PS DLIII and am now auditioning it. Even just out of the box and running for 15 minutes I have to agree with JMAUSGP, richer, better mids/highs, lower cleaner, tighter bass.
Even on my modest system, it's noticeable. I do realize that I have much more DAC than my system can expose but it's part of the upgrade path.
Does the DAC break in?
Time to listen.. thanks all for a great thread!

Don't know about break-in because as you say it sounds really good out-of-the-box.

Just make sure you experiment with it and try different digital sources, I have yet to try something that it doesn't improve.

At least that is the story I gave the mannequin and I am sticking to it.

Yup.. doing that now.. Here's the config:
- Marantz hooked up via COAX
- AirTunes via Optical
- MacBook via USB
All interconnects are Signal Cable except USB (looking at Kimber Cable USB though)

Right now I'm switching back and forth between the MacBook & Marantz with Hugh Masekela CD & Apple Lossless.. can't seem to tell the difference so far but it's been a long day and need to do it with fresh ears (and no alcohol.. Hugh and Rusty Nails go quite well together :D )
Definitely an improvement over the DacMagic
Like a few others, my next purchase is the Oppo Blu Ray

Back to the music.. over and out..

timm,

Yes, as our own TomDac says, WOW!

I can say that, CDs played via the McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe via the PS Audio Digital Link III are richer, have better highs, better lows and sound very close too if not equal in some instances, to two-channel SACD playback on the very same UDP-1 Deluxe when not using the Digital Link III DAC for SACD 2-channel playback. IMHO.

At least that has been my experience with the McCormack gear. Your mileage may vary.

However reading Tom's post and reading TonePub's reviews it seems that a very good DAC is suppose to do that. I guess it is just amazing to have a $699 DAC like the PS Audio Digital Link III do it for such a small fee.:D

and for the record - that mccormack udp-1 deluxe retails for over 3K does it not? I think for those of us looking for a comparison - this might be a nice one... I have no doubt the dac improves any system that has a squeezebox or computer as its source... I was wondering how it compared to something substantial - like this player - as an example... sounds impressive!!

timm,

Yes, McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe has a retail of $3999.00, I got mine for $3400.

I thought the UDP-1 was nice by itself but Tonepub convinced me that the PS Audio Digital Link III would make a noticable difference.

I blame Jeff:D

timm,

Yes, McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe has a retail of $3999.00, I got mine for $3400.

I thought the UDP-1 was nice by itself but Tonepub convinced me that the PS Audio Digital Link III would make a noticable difference.

I blame Jeff:D

I'll say it again - this is impressive... I would think that since you are sending a digital stream to the dac - just about anything would sound very close to the same....

Tom - have you had a chance to hook up some chintzy stuff? :) I think you said you had an el-cheapo sony or something... Also - did folks make mention of the USB connection and try that out? I may have missed that...if I did - sorry....

i would suggest looking at a electrocompient dac (it is very good imo).
it look a tubed audio aero prima dac II at 3x's the price to displace it in my system...

Back