Affordable DAC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digital Coax or Optical?

If I'm not mistaken, the PS Audio "Perfect Wave" is a transport ONLY.. No DAC included....

On a related topic....

I got my PS Audio Digital Link III DAC last night.. Haven't hooked it up yet, but i'm thinking of using a digital coax cable to run from my Squeezebox to it so I can then also feed my CD Player/Changer or PS3 into it using an optical cable for when I want to play CDs or SACDs.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Tom.

I'd recommend using Coax when ever and wherever you can Tom. Optical digital cables in home audio were developed from an old and obsolete telecom specification (Toslink). Back when I worked in telecom Toslink was ridiculed for being a very antiquated interface with a LOT of associated losses. I'm kind of stunned it's still used in the audio world to be honest.

Tom,

I hooked up both the Coax and the optical and compared them on my PS Audio Digital Link III. I compared two cd inputs and I could not really tell a noticable difference if any. With that said I went with the Coax as the main source on the PS Audio Digital Link III so maybe subconciously I liked the Coax better.

Anyway wait until you use it with a standard CD. On your Summits it should blow you away. Everything will sound fuller, sweeter, the best way to descibe it is the music sounds richer. It should bring your CDs right up too almost SACD quality. For the money, it is a major upgrade for CDs and that is at 96khtz. I tried 192 but as Jeff said it gives a halo like effect which was not to my liking on everything although on just 1 or 2 CDs it was interesting, but on a well mixed and engineered CD like Radio Head or Keane, the 192 is too much, the 96 is peeerrrfffeect.

Can't wait to hear what you think of the PS Audio Digital Link III.

Last edited:
bought a coax tonight on the way home from work... Monster M1 at Magnolia...

got home and hooked everything all up.

WOW

great upgrade. Squeezebox sounds WAAAAY better.. even FLACS sound fuller, richer and more detailed... Did some A/B testing back and forth and there is NO doubt that this is a huge improvement. I did some A/B testing between 96Khz and 192Khz and I could not hear much difference....

OK. now another test: With or without the DBX 4BX Dynamic Range Expander... At first, I was thinking I'd be selling the 4BX cuz there is no way that it could sound that much better. WRONG! More everything... I'm keeping it!! Can't wait to host the NorCal guys next time..

Guess who's gonna fall asleep at work tomorrow. Make sure you don't stay up all night, although it sounds like you had an epiphany tonight.

The cool thing is that you can go back and listen to lots of old CDs and they will sound better too than they ever have before.....now that really is an epiphany.

And if it were not for Jeff's review of the PS Audio, I would not have gotten one, thanks again Jeff, keep those equipment reviews a comin':rocker:

Last edited:
I'd recommend using Coax when ever and wherever you can Tom.
MiTT...I completely agree with your statement. I have always found for music Coax sounds better.

Almost every cable manufacturer makes a coax so you can you use the same cable as your IC's and Speaker.

great thread....

All - I have a denon 5900 - stock - do you think the PS Audio DAC would be a worthwhile upgrade?

Guess who's gonna fall asleep at work tomorrow. Make sure you don't stay up all night, although it sounds like you had an epiphany tonight. The cool thing is that you can go back and listen to lots of old CDs and they will sound better too than they ever have before.....now that really is an epiphany. And if it were not for Jeff's review of the PS Audio, I would not have gotten one, thanks again Jeff, keep those equipment reviews a comin':rocker:

Yeah... i stayed up WAAAY too late last night listening to music. Friggin' amazing how much more detail can be heard. And the 4BX seems to really add alot more as well. I'm guessing that old adage: garbage in / garbage out can be applied to this situation.

Thanks Jeff!! Great review.. Great recommendation.

T.

I'd recommend using Coax when ever and wherever you can Tom. Optical digital cables in home audio were developed from an old and obsolete telecom specification (Toslink). Back when I worked in telecom Toslink was ridiculed for being a very antiquated interface with a LOT of associated losses. I'm kind of stunned it's still used in the audio world to be honest.

here's a really good link that explains TOSLINK:

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/toslink-interconnect-history-basics

Good stuff and at last - a better front end for you, Tom. Those Summits have probably gone from :( to :). When you get 'em to :eek: everything will be completely :cool: Then again, I've not heard that DAC and it could be at :eek: anyway...

Last edited:
Yeah and if you like the stock PS Audio, I really hate to mention that Cullen Circuits does a major tweek of the Digital Link III DAC and that it supposedly makes it compete with the big boys, I really shouldn't mention it.:eek:

leap of faith

I've had the DacMagic for a couple of weeks now and am impressed. I've also been doing some research on the PS Audio and along with the posts on this site, I decided to take a leap of faith and ordered the PS Audio DAC today. Hopefully this will take care of my music source upgrades for a while to come.
Jeff ~ you're a dangerous guy.. Thanks :bowdown:

I do have to say that audio gear prices in the US are much better than here in Canada. The PS Audio is triple the price of the DacMagic plus you guys have AudioGon and I have seen some amazing deals on this site. Oh well.

PS Audio

Was trading PMs with Joe a couple of weeks ago and planned on ordering the PS Audio Digital Link III DAC.........

But hit one of Chicago's famous Pot Holes, and guess what cost me just over $700 to fix my friggin car.

DAC will have till wait till next month.

Tom,

Tom,

A couple of posts back I mentioned the PS Audio perfect Wave and you are correct that is a transport only. How ever, they are also coming out with a Perfect Wave DAC. Both are $3,000 EACH :eek: Shortly there after, they will introduce a hard drive for these two, making it a complete music "system".

They show "up to a $1,000 each trade-in allowance for your DAC and transport/CDP. My assumption is that they have lowered the price of the Digital Link III to make room for the perfect Wave units. maybe they'll keep both due to price points.

I was following along until you mentioned your "the DBX 4BX Dynamic Range Expander... ". What is that? Is this in addition to the DAC? What is the source chain of command here?

I have a squuezebox (not set up yet) and am looking for a DAC.

THANKS!

Joe M.

bought a coax tonight on the way home from work... Monster M1 at Magnolia...

got home and hooked everything all up.

WOW

great upgrade. Squeezebox sounds WAAAAY better.. even FLACS sound fuller, richer and more detailed... Did some A/B testing back and forth and there is NO doubt that this is a huge improvement. I did some A/B testing between 96Khz and 192Khz and I could not hear much difference....

OK. now another test: With or without the DBX 4BX Dynamic Range Expander... At first, I was thinking I'd be selling the 4BX cuz there is no way that it could sound that much better. WRONG! More everything... I'm keeping it!! Can't wait to host the NorCal guys next time..

You might want to do a search. Joey_V used to have the PS Audio dac and I know he posted about it on this forum. Don't recall if the Benchmark came into the discussion, however, I do remember that other members of the forum were or currently are using the Benchmark (Dreamer being one of them) at that time.

and if I recall -- Joey moved to a used Cary cd player (for around 1900 bucks - I think it was the Cary 303?? - definitely not the 306) and thought it was a huge upgrade. I think it was the only piece he kept when he sold off everything.

BAck to my point -- so I figure connecting an outboard DAC is a great thing when you have a squeezebox etc... but how does it really compare to a decent CD player - say - something like a Musical Fidelity A5, or my Denon, or the Cambridge 840C?

I think Joey had the same 'wow' experience going from his squeezebox as tom did - except I think joey's 'wow' experience might have been from the squeezebox (plus DAC??) to his brand new used Cary.... you guys can correct me if I am wrong....

(Jeff maybe you can chime in giving general omparisons of the sound to other cd players?)

This is exactly my question. If the Cambridge 840C is that good, why wouldn't I buy that piece and use the same internal DAC on the 840 hooked up to the Squeezebox . . . rather than buy a separate DAC?
Now if the 840C only played SACD I'd have my answer!

The Bryston DAC is supposed to be great too. So it's $1,600 for a 840C CDP plus ability to hook up two other pieces using its DAC, or $2,000 for a Bryston DAC, with more "ports" and no loading of CD's.

I'm also waiting for the new Oppo Universal (Blue Ray) player. Now I can play Blue Ray, SACD and regular red book. Then I could, IF need be, get an outboard DAC and use the Oppo as a transport!

I'm saving my pennies until I figure this thing out :D

Keep the ideas coming . . .

Joe M.

BAck to my point -- so I figure connecting an outboard DAC is a great thing when you have a squeezebox etc... but how does it really compare to a decent CD player - say - something like a Musical Fidelity A5, or my Denon, or the Cambridge 840C?

I think Joey had the same 'wow' experience going from his squeezebox as tom did - except I think joey's 'wow' experience might have been from the squeezebox (plus DAC??) to his brand new used Cary.... you guys can correct me if I am wrong....

QUOTE]

I just ordered the OPPO BDP-983 as part of the EAP for $499 and I intend to use the PS Audio Digital Link III DAC to upsample the 2 channel output of the OPPO and use the SACD and DVD Audio on my HT system.

At 700 bucks new or a little less used on A'gon the PS Audio Digital Link III DAC is a serious improvement for Redbook CDs or any digital source for that matter.

I am currently using a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC with a McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe universal player and for standard CDs it is phenomenal at 96khtz. On some CDs it works at 192khtz, but mostly I go with 96, just a personal taste thing I think.

But hey at the dollars we are talking here, you should be able to get one try it out 'real time' with your system and if it is not to your taste re-sell it on A'gon with little to no loss depending on whether you buy a new one or used one. Jump in the waters fine:D

Last edited:
I am currently using a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC with a McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe universal player and for standard CDs it is phenomenal at 96khtz. On some CDs it works at 192khtz, but mostly I go with 96, just a personal taste thing I think.
:D

So this improves the redbook of the McCormack? I think that player got nice reviews for its redbook playback didn't it?

timm,

Yes, as our own TomDac says, WOW!

I can say that, CDs played via the McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe via the PS Audio Digital Link III are richer, have better highs, better lows and sound very close too if not equal in some instances, to two-channel SACD playback on the very same UDP-1 Deluxe when not using the Digital Link III DAC for SACD 2-channel playback. IMHO.

At least that has been my experience with the McCormack gear. Your mileage may vary.

However reading Tom's post and reading TonePub's reviews it seems that a very good DAC is suppose to do that. I guess it is just amazing to have a $699 DAC like the PS Audio Digital Link III do it for such a small fee.:D

Latest posts

Back