Advice on upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estat

Reaction score
Tax returns are here and I need to make the next move to upgrading my system. Currently, I am running Vantages (fronts), Focal CC800V (center), Montages (rears), with a Cambridge Audio 640r. I was debating on replacing the rears with some ML Sources, but unfortunately have not been able to truly demo these. Should I do this or make the plunge for an ESL center channel? Thanks for your input folks!

For movies: I wouldn't drop any serious bucks on rear channel speakers. Making sure you have a quality center that matches up nice with the vantages is more important, IMO. Also, I would try to audition the speakers before the purchase unless you run into a really sweet deal.

If you listen to a lot of multichannel music, that's another story. Better speakers in the rear could be a nice improvement, but still it's probably marginal at best. Speakers for multichannel playback are obviously important, but the source and quality of the recording cannot be understated and a nice processor helps.

I would upgrade the center channel if that's what you are looking to do...that or improve the source or amplifier(s).

Erik

I would upgrade the center channel if that's what you are looking to do...that or improve the source or amplifier(s).

Erik
+1 for that.

ESL center speaker first, then better sources, then amps. Room treatment should be somewhere in there, too.

Tax returns are here and I need to make the next move to upgrading my system. Currently, I am running Vantages (fronts), Focal CC800V (center), Montages (rears), with a Cambridge Audio 640r. I was debating on replacing the rears with some ML Sources, but unfortunately have not been able to truly demo these. Should I do this or make the plunge for an ESL center channel? Thanks for your input folks!

Have you considered upgrading the 640r to separates? I had a 540r and it was an excellent receiver for the money, but good separates are a nice step up.

Thanks for the input everyone; I am willing to spend $4k-$6k on separates. I have been eyeing the Anthem AVM50/MCA50, but I am afraid that I will be cutting myself short down the road.

I have been using a pair of Sources for my fronts and a Motif center. It has been awesome, especially for 2 channel listening. I am actually thinking of moving to Vistas (also because of the tax return) because I can get them at cost through my dealer friend. In that case, the Sources would be up for sale due to my room size. I think they would make excellent rears for SACD, DVD-A, etc. but if you are using it mostly for movies I would worry more about the center (as everyone else has already commented about). Depends on your room and how important the rear sound is for you. If you interested send me a PM, maybe even a trade for the Montages + $$?

Last edited:
Agree on the Center Channel first, but do not discount the benefits of larger, full range speakers for your Surrounds. I use to use book shelf type speakers for surrounds and when I changed to full range, the results were quite suprising at the improvement in audio and HT sound.

Your money will definitely be better spent on a quality center channel. There will be probably 95% more sound coming from the center than the rear or surround speakers.

Also, you didn't mention a subwoofer. After the mains (and the Vantages should be fine) and center, the subwoofer will have the most impact.

I have been eyeing the Anthem AVM50/MCA50, but I am afraid that I will be cutting myself short down the road.

I highly recommend that you don't purchase an Anthem multichannel amp to pair with the Vantages. I demoed the Anthem two-channel amp against the Sunfire Stereo amplifier on a pair of Vantages. The Anthem produced some of the worst bass I have ever heard. It was just loose and wooly, where the bass from the Sunfire was taut and deep and full. The signal from the Anthem somehow just doesn't work with the bass amplifier in the newer Logans, best I can tell. As someone at ML once told me, the bass module can only amplify the quality of the signal that it is fed. Apparently the Anthem amp does not feed it a very high quality signal.

Also, i noticed the midrange with the Anthem had some surreal harmonics added to it that just sounded unnatural. Almost like it added some reverb to the signal or something. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but it wasn't good.

This demo was done using an Anthem preamp and nothing was changed except the amplifiers. The difference between the Anthem and the Sunfire was night and day. The Sunfire sounded great; the Anthem sounded horrible. I don't have anything against Anthem in general. I think they make some fine products. But I don't think their amplifiers match very well with the newer Martin Logans.

Back