A hint to ML.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe an idea for a new model :
http://www.audiostatic.com/models.html
Active fullrange electrostatics with ICE technology, and you can stream wireless sound to them.....

I've always liked the idea of fully active speakers. No one does that concept better than Meridian does with their DSP speaker lineup and their digital front end processors. Everyone should hear a well set up Meridian digital theater system at least once for reference to what a well done 'box speaker' based system can sound like. It's truly amazing.

As for Electrostats, I believe there is much room for real-world, in-room improvements if one has a fully active system (I should know, mine is :) ).

Besides the obvious benefits of active crossovers, there is the other entire speaker centric processing one could do. EQ'ing the basic speaker (and yes, all system designers EQ, that's a large portion of many a passive crossover) is a given, and the option to EQ to the room is even better.

The biggest benefit might come from being able to normalize the power curve of a speaker, such that if it is constrained to a max SPL of 96dB at 200Hz, then the electronics can limit the rest of the spectrum to not exceed that level.
This multi-band limiter might sound like a really bad thing to the purists, but which is worse: a speaker that morphs its frequency response based on SPL or a system with a well defined ceiling and consistent response up to that ceiling?

The other advantage to systems with integrated amplification, is that the purchaser is guaranteed that the overall system will perform to its basics specs, and the electronics can be tuned much more precisely, as the drive interactions (which in ESL's are a BIG part of the equation) can be factored in.

I mean, ESL vendors publish their specs, but unless one used a very similar amp, the resulting frequency response and overall power curves could be wildly different.
For instance, someone driving a CLS with the kilowatt Sanders ESL amp will be hearing vastly different things than someone driving that panel with a low-power SE tube amp.

Personally, I feel that way we buy audio systems today is sort of like buying a car without an engine and then going out and trying to figure out the best fit based on trial and error. I'd much rather have the manufacturer figure out two or three options (good vs high-performance) and design those to a T and offer us the options (just like car vendors do).
To follow the analogy, I see lots of Corvettes with 4 cylinder 2 liter engines in them. Oh, and no shortage of Kia Spectra’s with V10’s as well ;)

PS – Being a wee bit controversial on purpose, as this could be a fun topic …

Yeah, but then you'd be forced to listen to those terrible digital amplifiers.

Good one! Couldn't agree with you more.....

However, the Meridian speakers are quite good, as are the Salagar powered speakers we reviewed last fall... They were definitely the most "un digital" sounding speakers I'd heard.

A well done digital amp can sound as good as analog amp. A good example is T+A Criterion active speakers with electrostatic tweeter. Very well balanced from top to bottom. In their top most model the electrostatic tweeter is powered by an internal tube amp.

Honestly, I sure would like to hear them.. I bet they sound good...

The ML Purity has internal switching amplifier good for 200wpc via RCA inputs. You do have a choice of using your own amplifier via the speaker inputs. Do these quailify that ML already got the hint?

ML Purity Fully Active ElectroStatic Speakers

Spike

While one can indeed plug an iPod into a Purity and be set. It's not at all in the same design category as the Audiostatic DCA or what I described.

The Purity is a passive speaker with a bundled single channel amp packed inside. It can be called an ‘active’ speaker only by the fact that one can feed it low level signals. Otherwise, a true 'active' speaker, by my criteria, must have the following to qualify:

• Low level analog signal inputs (optional speaker level inputs, but uses internal Z-network to drive low-level)
  • Active electronic crossover operating on low level signals, custom tuned to the speaker system
  • Individual amplifiers for each frequency band in the crossover / or per driver.
  • Driver / system EQ, phase and delay to optimize system response
  • Overall system and driver specific limiters to protect against overdriving and maintain neutral voicing at all SPL levels
  • Ideally - Digital feed (requires next item)
  • Ideally - Remote volume signaling (only Meridian does this IIRC, others make you vary the analog input signal)

Of the items listed above, the Purity only complies with the first. Which is fine for its intended market of people who try and drive ESL’s with receivers. It will give a much better results than the same setup with a Source (the unpowered model).

But it is still far removed from being a truly ‘active’ system, it’s more of a ‘powered speaker’ in my book.

Last edited:
Active speakers are coming more and more, some remarks I hear again and again is that cutting the preamp out results in much better sound all together.
Several of my Squeezebox buddies use some pretty serious ATC active speakers.
I owned Audiostatic ES100 DCI for 5 years, its was an exceptional speaker, and the only speaker my wife told me NOT to sell because she loved it to death for the design. I would still have owned them today was it not for my surround flirt, well.....

Back