2 Depth i's On The Way

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOON

Reaction score
I am looking forward to receiving the 2 Depth i's I ordered this Friday. I sold regretably my Depth sub last year to fund another purchase. I was surprised at the time just how much it added to the music, once it was out of the system.

I have always wanted 2 subs, so I pulled the plug. I ordered them in the black finish with black covers for over the controls and 2 additional covers in the brushed siler finish.I will have to take new system pictures once these are in place.

Cheers, Greg

Greg,

Congrats on purchasing the 2 Depth i's. I use 4 subs in my system (two are almost as good). I cross over at 80 Hz so that I get that deep resonant bass warming my room. IMHO you paid for the subs let them work with your system, don't cut them off too low. Enjoy the music.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Are you running JL audio subs with an external crossover?

Greg,

Yes, however the my F113's are in my Los Angeles 2-channel system with no Martin Logan equipment. The L.A. system consists of Bryston electronics as follows: 2X 7B-SST amps, 26B pre-amp, MPS-2 power supply, and the Bryston 10B-Sub crossover. Speakers are Pioneer S-1EX and JL audio subs. I cross over at 80 Hz and am using the subs in stereo even though there is some debate as to the value of going stereo below 80 Hz.

The 4 subs that I referred to above are in my Las Vegas 7.1 system. In Vegas I am using the Meridian 861 v6 processor in combination with the Meridian HD621 to get to my 7.1. My mains are CLX's and my rears are Prodigy's. The 4 subs consist of 2 ML Descent's and 2 Velodyne DD-18's. They are crossed over at 80 Hz using the bass management in the 861. The Velodyne's have their own internal adjustment and I run them as tight as possible (most musical/fastest) for everything except action movies where I run the Velodyne's so they will RUMBLE! When my subs are on I get a deep resonant sound that warms my bones and when I play a blu-ray concert I get the "You are There" feel. By the way, the subs are what and where they are for historical reasons. If I were starting today I would lean towards all JL audio subs. However ML is coming out with 2 new subs in the not too distant future (one of them a 15 incher and the other an upgraded Descent) and I would certainly wait and give these a listen.

Regards
Gary

Contrats for your new subs!!! Those are great subs, and to my ears, the ones that sing along with the :bowdown: truth bass!. Happy listening,
R.

I run (2) Depth i in my system and it sounds great. I set the low pass filter at 45Hz and the Level to 6. Each room and system will be differennt so you will have to play with them till you get them set. I have a ML monolith III with the active crossover so I can tewak it more. Enjoy!!

I am really impressed with the pair of depth i's. It was definately a wise purchase. I have to play around with them more to dial them in 100%, adjust phase , ect. I have them coming in at 35 hz, but will give the 45 hz a try. Cherian, where do you have your depth i's positioned in the room? I have the depth i's just slightly forward of the mains and just to the outside of the mains.

I was also thinking on replacing the standard power cords that came with the depth's. Has anyone on here done that and if so were there improvements to be gained?

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Excellent choice...........you will be quite pleased....enjoy!

I was also thinking on replacing the standard power cords that came with the depth's. Has anyone on here done that and if so were there improvements to be gained?

Cheers, Greg

Greg,

Last week Ted Denney of Synergistic Research dropped by my Las Vegas home with the following equipment: a TESLA Powercell 10 SE, 2 Powercell 4's, and 10 TESLA T3 A/C power cords. I believe the total list price of what we tested on my system was in the vacinity of $16,000. Let me say up front that I am a skeptic in the value of high-end power cords but I was interested in trying the Powercell 10 SE on my Bryston 28B-SST^2 amps. we replaced all the standard power cables with the T3's (each 5 ft cord lists for $900) including the CLX and Descent cords. I spent the weekend critically listening to my various components. I could hear no difference with a change of cord on either the CLX or the Descent. (YMMV) The TESLA Powercell 10 however is a nice unit. By the way, at one point when I was listening at high volume I popped a circuit breaker. Hmmmm, that has never happened before.

Also, if you get a chance while playing with your Depth i's (if you can) try a higher crossover frequency. I used to cut of low but I am much happier now that I cut off at 80 Hz. In the end let your ears and preferences decide. For sure, no matter what you will enjoy your 2 Depth's.

Regards,
Gary

Cheers, Greg

That's a tricky question. I personally do hear a difference, but the quantifiable difference is subjective. Personally I am going with the AudioQuest NRG-4s on all my stuff. The difference between the NRG-2 and 4 is pretty small but I am getting a good deal on the 4s for only a couple bucks more, so why not?

For me the sound stage (when on a better cable) seems to open up quite a bit, and the bass seems to really extend to where it should be. I am a believer.

Latest posts

Back