1 way ticket to Audio Nirvana, the saga of Joey's upgrades!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey_V said:
Cherian,

Argh.... shouldnt have done the Windy City Meet!

Joey

yeah, right, like you wish you hadn't met your girlfriend either !!

Joey_V said:
Oops, I already ran it in Class A. :(
Dang...now you voided your warranty....

Just kidding...

My only thought was to listen in A/B for a bit enjoying your new toy for a day or so, then switching into Class A and getting a better appreciation for the differences.

Congrats, that Plinius amp is a thing of beauty !

And welcome to the club of those of us enjoying a tube preamp with SS power ! By the way, could your preamp be a Hovland ?? :cool:

Happy listening !

Give them just a taste and when they are hooked you have them for life. Tubes that is.

Hmmmm Sounds like I have two things to avoid now..... Summits AND Tube pre's. :D I don't see much WAF occuring so close to my current speaker/amp purchase.... though she really does like the SB3. Unfortunately, she also enjoys going with using the random option.... and lets just say that some genre's of music are not meant to flow together in the same sitting. <grin> There's probably a very good reason that Lawrence Welk never did TV shows with Pink Floyd. hehe

DTB300 said:
My only thought was to listen in A/B for a bit enjoying your new toy for a day or so, then switching into Class A and getting a better appreciation for the differences.

Oh... well I'll have you know Dan and Dave, that I am fully appreciative of the Plinius' Class A abilities! I had my brother at the helm and I had him switch back and forth between A bias and AB bias... to see if I could tell the difference.

I wasnt expecting much, but boy... was there a difference! When listening purely to the vocal focus, there is a FUZZ around the vocal image in AB but this goes away in A bias!

I just sat there smiling knowing that I finally FINALLY FINALLY got rid of that annoying FUZZ that messes with the vocal focus. Not even the Krells at Tweeter did that! I think it was a Krell $2K preamp and Krell 2250 amps.

Oooooh boy.... cant wait for the final transformation when the pre gets here... which I wont divulge as of yet.

Hehehehe.... ;) .

David Prall said:
Hmmmm Sounds like I have two things to avoid now..... Summits AND Tube pre's. :D

Avoid? Or experience?

It's time David, to come to the Dark side of the Toobs... *inhale exhale vader style*. :)

Joey_V said:
I wasnt expecting much, but boy... was there a difference! When listening purely to the vocal focus, there is a FUZZ around the vocal image in AB but this goes away in A bias!
While the initial change between A/B and A occurs when switched as you experienced, the amp does improve even more in Class A for the first hour then settles in for the duration. The mids and highs are exceptional once you reach this point. You get that tube midrange of smooth, deep and wide soundstage, and well defined high end, but not exhibiting one bit the typical SS "fuzz", "glare" whatever you want to call it

And like KWR (Kevin) stated, the amp will get better sounding after it has been on for a day or two in A/B.

So your next assignment, if you choose to accept it, is to switch into "A" and listen for a few hours - think you can handle it :D

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
And like KWR (Kevin) stated, the amp will get better sounding after it has been on for a day or two in A/B.

So your next assignment, if you choose to accept it, is to switch into "A" and listen for a few hours - think you can handle it :D

Dan

Hey Dan, between you, myself, and Kevin I think weve got this doctor / patient thing mixed-up..... we should submit Joey a bill !!

If you guys want to read my Plinius review, look in the Amp Review section of the forum.... thanks!

And Tom... the preamp suspense will remain!!

Joey :D

Joey_V said:
Avoid? Or experience?

It's time David, to come to the Dark side of the Toobs... *inhale exhale vader style*. :)

Hehe..... tempting.... tempting. But I'll have to wait til my bank acct catches up.... One can only exist on Ramen so long. :D

David Prall said:
Hehe..... tempting.... tempting. But I'll have to wait til my bank acct catches up.... One can only exist on Ramen so long. :D

There's a book... a cookbook that is titled "100 ways to cook Ramen"! I'm not kidding!

:eek:

Joey_V said:
Oooooh boy.... cant wait for the final transformation when the pre gets here... which I wont divulge as of yet.

Hehehehe.... ;) .

So is it the Emotive "Poeta" or the Hovland HP-100 ???

Confess or be Banned !!!!!!!!!!!

twich54 said:
So is it the Emotive "Poeta" or the Hovland HP-100 ???

Confess or be Banned !!!!!!!!!!!

Or is it the HP-200? ;)

I wont say as of yet... there are other 7 lettered companies out there.

You need to block all those air holes with lets say a wood butcher block - NOT!

:D

Hay joey,

Does your brother know how much that chunk of aluminum he was lifting costs? My friends won't help me move any of my gear in fear of me charging them if they should brake something. :D

Joey_V said:
Or is it the HP-200? ;)
I wont say as of yet... there are other 7 lettered companies out there.
Hmmm, this is FUN! The other tube preamp on the market with 7 lettered brand name, costing around $5k is.... (drum roll) this beauty....

Attachments

• Wyetech Pearl.jpg
    Wyetech Pearl.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 202
Spike said:
Hmmm, this is FUN! The other tube preamp on the market with 7 lettered brand name, costing around $5k is.... (drum roll) this beauty....
Isn't this the preamp that HP once almost had a stroke over? Have you heard it? What did you think? (BTW - another good audio product from our Canadian brothers to the north.)

Latest posts

Back