Motion and Encore

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
How are these new Motion speakers?

The Encore TF can be had at the discounted price of $200 each (MSRP $500 ea.). They use the Advanced Thin Film technology (ATF) that ML no longer uses in their current line.

The Motion 2 MSRP (same as street price) is $200 each.

If each system is used with a subwoofer, which would be the better sounding system?

How are they compared to systems of comparable price (NHT, PSB)? I'm leaning a bit on the HSU HB-1 MK2 that go for $150 each

Last edited:
Tim (MiTT) and I had a chance to audition earlier this year.............

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10440

there is another thread if you care to search.......

Thanks for the thread.

Although after 4 pages of reading it, it does't say much except they're a good bargain.

Some people asked for a conparrison to the same speakers I asked about (plus a comparison with the Fresco i, which I would like to know how they compared with too)

anyone?

I'm looking at these speakers as well currently...

While I'm not hugely interested in the motion series, as the motion 8 or motion c is much more expensive than an encore tf at the moment, and in my mind, if i spend more $ i'd rather have a electrostatic panel... the stage or any of the others would be wonderful as a center... again, just in my mind...

for the time being i'm trying to get more invested into the logan world, upgrade my entire ht sound, as well as put together a hd proj setup... so every $ counts...

from my research I've not found 1 bad thing to be said about the encore tf speaker.... and like you said, for 200$ compared to either 400$ or 500$ for the higher end motion line or other brands... its hard to not be interested in this speaker...

I'm looking forward to responses about these speakers....

Finally listened to some Motions last night

Like the OP and some of the follow up responders, I have been looking at possibly getting the frescos, encores, vignettes or the new motions for an on wall application. Ah, the dilemma, aesthetics vs sound quality.

Last nite, I was at Magnolia AV (inside a Best Buy) and I had a fairly knowledgeable sales guy all to myself. He says he has an older set of ML Panels, and loves the product.

Just for kicks, I first listened to a Stevie Wonder BluRay with some larger ML ESL (unsure of model but larger than the Sources) and a Motif center. Wow...that's the sound I fell in love with when I first heard a pair of ML ESLs years ago. But I did notice that the vertical dispersion sweet spot was very narrow at about 8 ft away...maybe 2 feet wide?

Then on to the Motions in another room. They had the 12s, 10s and a pair of Sources set up as LR and then the Motion 6 and 8 as centers and I could switch from speaker to speaker Unfortunately, the Motion 2s and 4s could not be hooked up as rears, but I did hear them as a LR. They were all being powered by a Denon Receiver. Chris Botti BluRay was playing.

Source LR and Motion 8 center: Very nice. Still getting that transparent, beautiful ML ESL sound. Switched to the Motion 6 center and really didn't hear much difference.

Motion 12 LR and Motion 8 Center: Also very nice. I think for a Non ESL, this set up provided a very pure sound. Not quite as 'refined' a sound as the sources, but the dispersion horizontally and vertically was far better than with the ESLs I heard that night. Switching the 12s to the 10s for LR produced a very similar sound, with a small amount of mid bass missing from the equation. For the $500 price difference...tough call, esp since the Sources were on sale big time ($300 off each)

Motion 4 LR, a Definitive Technology Center and a DT Sub: For as small a set up as this was, I was wowed. Granted, definitely missing the mid bass range of the 12s and 10s, but I think for the sheer size and price, I just might be sold. Now does anyone know about the Motion C center channel?

Latest posts

Back