Center Speaker Choice for Motion 10: Mix and/or Match?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMOP

Reaction score
I'm new to both ML and to Home Theatre. I've just hooked up the parts of my system that have arrived, along with one "piece of junk" from years ago. This is the first time in years I've been in a location and position to begin assembling a sound system again.

Here's what I have:

Yamaha RX-V567 Multi-voltage "General Model" A/V Receiver
One Pair of ML Motion 10s
On Order: Polk DSWPro 440wi Sub (because ML doesn't MAKE a multi-voltage sub)
Cambridge Soundworks temporary Center Channel speaker (I know, but it is 4-ohms and available!)
Rear speakers, to be ordered, but probably not for a few months.

I suppose someone will ask: "What are you feeding INTO the receiver?" Fair question. This:

1) DVDs and BDs (i.e., movies, a disproportionate number of which are musicals and dramas)
2) CD's (secondary use)
3) Very nice old Technics turntable for mint vinyl jazz collection (tertiary use)

The next logical question is: "Who's listening to this system?"

1) A family of vocalists each with instrumental backgrounds
2) Our dog and cat

I'm looking at both the ML Encore TF and the Motion 6 Center Channel speakers.

There's presently a $50-100 difference in favor of the Encore. I'm more interested in how the system sounds and (secondarily) looks. I'm not a purist, so I'm not opposed in principle to mixing either brands (I'm doing that out of necessity with the Polk sub) and/or models within a brand.

I've got to say, the difference to the sound after hooking up the old desktop speaker for use while I dither on the choice of a real Center Channel solution was dramatic. Everyone noticed the vast improvement with a center channel even with a clearly mediocre speaker. That said, I'm not convinced that I'll notice any difference between the Encore TF and the Motion 6, or that the difference, if noticed, would matter that much to me, but I'm nowhere to listen to either, much less to swap them in and out of my present system.

I know the Motion and Encore represent different technologies, and that some argue that center channel technology should match that of the L&R speakers, and of course others (including manufacturers) argue for matching technology AND brand. I've decided to match brand. I'm undecided about staying within the bounds of a model line.

Any recommendations?

You cant use the encore tf because it does not have a folded motion tweeter like you have in the motion 10. You will have to use the motion 6 , motion c or any other center with folded motion technology for a seamless front soundstage

I have try'd to pair my encore up with my source and my matinee,s and it sounds crap so if you want crap then go with the encore to mix with folded motion :D

Last edited:
I agree, the Encore wouldn't be your best choice. But have you considered the Motion 8 center? I work with all of these speakers daily, and the difference between the 6 and 8 is very significant, for a small amount of money. I have also set up a pair of 8s as stereo speakers in a yacht, with excellent results. Let us know how it turns out.

Go for another model 10 as the center. Wall mount the video above. IMO nothing works better than 3 of the same kind up front.

Go for another model 10 as the center. Wall mount the video above. IMO nothing works better than 3 of the same kind up front.

I like this idea! Especially w the Motion 10 intermittently available for $149...regrettably, my current setting (stand mounted TV) wouldn't allow for a 10 to go below the TV. Even if it were wall-mounted, this would require raising the 60" TV to well-above what would be optimal viewing height to accommodate the speaker. I'd presently be able to just fit a Motion 10 behind the TV, which would rather defeat the purpose of having a center speaker! The only other way to use a 10 would be to lay it on it's side behind the TV (there's a 5" gap between the bottom of the TV and the stand), but then I'd have a truly weird arrangement of tweeter and midrange...don't think that would sound good.

I agree, the Encore wouldn't be your best choice. But have you considered the Motion 8 center? I work with all of these speakers daily, and the difference between the 6 and 8 is very significant, for a small amount of money. I have also set up a pair of 8s as stereo speakers in a yacht, with excellent results. Let us know how it turns out.

It's always a tension between getting what one wants and what one should allow one's self in terms of price. I was initially swayed by the $250 price of the Encore vs the $299 of the Motion 6 and $399 of the Motion 8. The $499 Motion C is what I'd like, and a reviewer at "the biggest online store" suggested that the Motion C and Encore TF were quite comparable, folded tweeter not withstanding. That particular reviewer gave the edge to the Encore, but he wasn't mixing his with Motion series speakers. His preference over the Motion C may have been because the Motion C (which he tried and returned) represented an odd mix with his non-Motion ML speakers. I think if I exercise some patience, I'll see the Motion 6/8/C steeply discounted again at another online site, which had the 10s at $149 recently.

Latest posts

Back