Monolith prototype system/pix

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Stumbled upon this interesting thread on Audiocircle, actually a discussion in their Gateway Audio Society section, talking about making their own recordings (cool idea, BTW). Turns out, the recording engineer/group member happens to use Monolith prototypes that Gayle Sanders originally gave to a fellow recording engineer!

See discussion and system pics here...
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=43270.msg386867#msg386867

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm a member of the Gateway Audio Society as well, and I helped to organize this first recording of ours. If anyone's interested, I can probably arrange to get copies of this wonderful achievement to you. The engineer, John Blaine has been featured on Stereophile's Test CD 2. Our first cd is all pipe organ music that was played live for us in a recital by a superb local organist, Dennis Bergin.

I just thought that you might be interested to know that not just one Martin Logan owner is involved with this. I have a pair of Quest Zs, bi-amped with Krell monoblocks on the panels, and a Hafler Transnova amp on the woofers. I have recently acquired John's older Threshold Model 4000 amp(and preamp). Once they are fully repaired, I'll have to do some tests and see if the Threshold will work better on the panels or the woofers. The amp weighs about 100 lbs, and does 200 watts of class A into each channel. It has received a number of mods from the factory, and it's my understanding that Telarc has even used this very amp during recording sessions.

Regards,
Adrian

Alan,

That's pretty nearfield if you ask me. Nearer than even my setup.

Joey

Hey guys,

I'm a member of the Gateway Audio Society as well, and I helped to organize this first recording of ours. If anyone's interested, I can probably arrange to get copies of this wonderful achievement to you.

Wow! I'm sure there would be lots of folks interested here. Please f/u.

Will be interesting to hear how you like John's modified Threshold. I guess he's a lifetime Nelson Pass fan! The Telarc history would also be interesting to research.

Thanks for the info!

Cool thread indeed!

Those prototypes look a lot rougher than the later Monolith III's I have, and a ported woofer, yuck :(

But active is the way to go, thats for sure. And more better yet, a speaker processor :cool:

The Variac to control the voltage to the panels is intriguing, probably more necessary for older panels than for newer. I know my balanced power system yields 124 volts and the speakers sound great.

I even use a variac (a small one) in my CRT hush box to control the fan. Good 'ol 1940's tech is great, no buzzing, no hum, just smooth voltage control :D

Joey,

John's setup at the first house that he had the Monoliths in had the listening position back further, with the speakers firing down the long walls(shoebox style). His current house, which is actually bigger in every way, does have near field listening, but it doesn't feel too close when you hear it. The sound is absolutely amazing, and you just hear this big wide open soundfield spread out in front of you. His setup sounds so good that he has me thinking of trying the very same thing. Also, I don't know if any of the pics really show how far apart the speakers are. They are spaced pretty wide.

sleepy,

I'm glad to hear that there might be some interest in our recording in this forum. I'll get the ball rolling by talking to John and our group president, Scott. We can probably just set up some kind of mail order thing. Do you think I should start another thread when we're ready, or just build onto this one?

I put the Threshold amp in for service today. If it can be fixed locally, that would be awesome. If not, I'm looking at almost $400 in shipping charges to and from the factory in Texas. Gosh, it was a chore lugging that thing around. We weighed it at the shop....it's right at 80 lbs, not 100 as I stated earlier. I'm sure I'm going to love having the amp in my system, as I heard it doing a fantastic job on the Monolith panels for years. Each time I heard it, I said to myself....Man, I'll never have such an incredible amp with that much power reserve. Now, I can't believe that I'm a step away from a dream come true. I'll get more info on the amp's history with Telarc.

Jonathan,

Hey man, have you gotten my recent email and PM? I'd love to hear a response. I've been looking into that DBX speaker processor that you mentioned, and it's nice. It can be had for quite a reasonable price for what it does. DBX also makes what they call a PA processor that seems to do a lot of what's listed for your unit, and it's cheaper. Could that unit work for my Quests as an active Xover and provide the right EQ, or is that a bad idea? What advantages do I gain by going with the more expensive unit?

I agree that the early Monoliths don't have that sleek sexy look that the later ones have. However, I would be incredibly lucky to ever get these prototypes home, without a doubt. John tells me that there is experimental technology inside that makes this pair unique, and Martin Logan hasn't included all of this in other Monoliths. I wouldn't turn my nose up at the ported woofer. These Monoliths have low end extension and power that makes the floor ripple and shake like nothing I've heard to date, and I always get sent home to my Quests with my tail tucked between my legs. (In my best Han Solo voice...She may not look like much, kid, but she's got it where it counts!!) John suspects that the ported and larger woofer cabinet give it advantages over the Quest's smaller cabinet, even though the woofers are the same. Other than that, and what he feels might be about 5% more ease in resolving complex passages, he thinks that the Quests sound very much like the Monoliths, and that the Quests may have been the best speaker value Martin Logan ever marketed. I would definitely enjoy hearing your awesome system with the IB design if I'm ever in the Atlanta area. I'm sure that it would take my impressions of MLs to a whole new level.

The panels on my Quests have never been replaced, and are atleast 12 years old. Do you think that I would gain anything by using a Variac? John's panels are quite new, as they've been replaced recently. However, they don't have all of the recent design improvements that current models enjoy. How sad for us Monolith and Quest owners. John was told by Martin Logan that the voltage control can make for a brighter or darker sound from the panels. I'd love to have that kind of control. The early version of the Quest sported a Variac, I'm told, but there's been no mention of its use with my Quest Zs. Using one can't hurt anything, right?

Regards,
Adrian

Last edited:

Jonathan,

Hey man, have you gotten my recent email and PM? I'd love to hear a response. I've been looking into that DBX speaker processor that you mentioned, and it's nice. It can be had for quite a reasonable price for what it does. DBX also makes what they call a PA processor that seems to do a lot of what's listed for your unit, and it's cheaper. Could that unit work for my Quests as an active Xover and provide the right EQ, or is that a bad idea? What advantages do I gain by going with the more expensive unit?
Adrian, sorry, yes I have received the latest and read the post in the tweaks as well, It’s on my list to respond to. But since it deserves more than a few minutes thought and typing, I leave it for a free weekend, like today ;)
So look for replies on that topic in the tweaks (and I’ll copy them in an email as well).

As for the DBX DR 260 vs the PA, for basic duties, they could be interchangeable, the PA has the crossover and delay setting one needs to tweak just right, but the 260 has more EQ’s, greater options, and I believe finer grained control of certain settings, don’t recall the details. The 260 also has the PC control, which I love, as I can tweak from the listening position. The PA is all cryptic front panel stuff.
Although Ted Betley seems to have had good results on his Monoliths with the PA: http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showpost.php?p=17738&postcount=7

I agree that the early Monoliths don't have that sleek sexy look that the later ones have. However, I would be incredibly lucky to ever get these prototypes home, without a doubt. John tells me that there is experimental technology inside that makes this pair unique, and Martin Logan hasn't included all of this in other Monoliths.
‘Experimental Technology inside”, not sure what could better than what they wound up using in the production runs, as there is not a whole lot inside a Monolith (as the crossovers are externalized). About the only ‘upgrade’ I could imagine is a better quality, cost-no-object ESL transformer (as it’s in the signal path). Otherwise the rest is just the 120v to 3500v diaphragm polarization board.
So if the prototype has a special ESL transformer, I’d love to know model #’s etc. to do a bit of research, as that’s going to be my next hot-rod tweak to my Monoliths and SL3XC units.

As noted, since these are in the signal paths, a modern, cost-no-object transformer might be better than the value-engineered selection for production. But don’t get me wrong, the factory one is pretty darn good.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at the ported woofer. These Monoliths have low end extension and power that makes the floor ripple and shake like nothing I've heard to date, and I always get sent home to my Quests with my tail tucked between my legs. (In my best Han Solo voice...She may not look like much, kid, but she's got it where it counts!!) John suspects that the ported and larger woofer cabinet give it advantages over the Quest's smaller cabinet, even though the woofers are the same. Other than that, and what he feels might be about 5% more ease in resolving complex passages, he thinks that the Quests sound very much like the Monoliths, and that the Quests may have been the best speaker value Martin Logan ever marketed. I would definitely enjoy hearing your awesome system with the IB design if I'm ever in the Atlanta area. I'm sure that it would take my impressions of MLs to a whole new level.
Adrian, you are welcome to pop on by whenever you are in the area. I’m sure your metric for what ‘floor shaking bass’ is will change permanently (as might your hearing abilities if we keep it turned up for too long :haha1: )

SleepySurf will be stopping by in a couple of weeks, so we’ll see what his impressions are of the system. :cool:

I just have a bias against ported designs because of the uneven frequency response one gets around the port tuning frequencies. That and the box sizes are a bit on the big side. I’d rather throw watts at the problem (says the guy with 15 channels of amplification, the least of which is 200w) ;)

Quest are indeed a great value, I lusted after those before I got the Monoliths. In terms of fitting most rooms, a Quest is a better selection, especially since many systems use a sub to augment the lowest octaves, the variance in bass performance between the quest and Monolith is not as critical. Heck, I gave up on having them even try and do low-bass, as they only go to 60hz in my rig.
The panels on my Quests have never been replaced, and are atleast 12 years old. Do you think that I would gain anything by using a Variac? John's panels are quite new, as they've been replaced recently. However, they don't have all of the recent design improvements that current models enjoy. How sad for us Monolith and Quest owners. John was told by Martin Logan that the voltage control can make for a brighter or darker sound from the panels. I'd love to have that kind of control. The early version of the Quest sported a Variac, I'm told, but there's been no mention of its use with my Quest Zs. Using one can't hurt anything, right?

Regards,
Adrian

On old panels, stepping up the polarization voltage will probably improve things, as it provides the stators a greater potential to work on. A variac is the correct tool for that.

The ‘darker’ sound is when you lower the voltage and the speaker essentially tilts more towards the bass driver, as you are basically applying a volume control to the panel by lowering the polarizing voltage. It also probably skews the FR of the panel, but I’d have to measure to see what the net effect is.
In general if your AC voltage is under 115v, a variac would be a very nice thing to have, as one can push the input by about 10% (e.g if input is 110v, then output is 121v)

Go here to see what all kinds of Variacs there are: http://variac.com/staco_Variable_Transformer_Map.htm

For ML speakers, a small 2 to 5amp amp version is about all you really need, the current draw from the polarization circuit is minimal (the big Monoliths only draw 25w). But a bigger variac won’t hurt anything.

http://variac.com/staco_variable_transformer_100_.htm and put it on the back panel (requires pulling out the woofer, drilling a hole and hardwiring. Probably only for hard-core tweakers ;)

Or the enclosed external version: http://variac.com/staco_variable_transformer_3pn221.htm

The large enclosed versions often found on eBay are a great deal (big 10 to 15amp versions for under $100. They might look a bit ragged, but they are generally indestructible.

But this guy's (davidRiddle) store on eBay sells very nice refurbished units, such as this 5 amp version for $150: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170116046106&ih=007&category=73377

Jonathan,

Wow, thanks for all that info. I did find a 10 amp variac on ebay for about $77. It should be here some time next week. My system sounds a bit too much on the bright side, so I was thinking of stepping back on the voltage to the panels, even though they are quite old. However, your suggestion of increasing the voltage does make sense for older panels. That would make things even brighter, don't you think? I'll try both. I'll look forward to seeing your responses in the tweaks thread for the Quests. I'll also check with John to see if he knows more about the technology inside his prototypes. I have a feeling that Gayle and the initial owner would have known more about this than John. Unfortunate, the recording engineer that helped Gayle complete the design for Monoliths is no longer with us.

One more thing, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. You can respond in the other thread if you'd like. Wouldn't the woofer upgrade you did for the Monoliths also work for the Quests? I'd be interested in the one that's better for full range applications, even though it wouldn't be that great for mid bass(it shouldn't be any worse than the stock woofer, right?). If low end response would be improved, I'd be happy with that for now.

Jonathan,

Wow, thanks for all that info. I did find a 10 amp variac on ebay for about $77. It should be here some time next week. My system sounds a bit too much on the bright side, so I was thinking of stepping back on the voltage to the panels, even though they are quite old. However, your suggestion of increasing the voltage does make sense for older panels. That would make things even brighter, don't you think? I'll try both. I'll look forward to seeing your responses in the tweaks thread for the Quests. I'll also check with John to see if he knows more about the technology inside his prototypes. I have a feeling that Gayle and the initial owner would have known more about this than John. Unfortunate, the recording engineer that helped Gayle complete the design for Monoliths is no longer with us.

One more thing, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. You can respond in the other thread if you'd like. Wouldn't the woofer upgrade you did for the Monoliths also work for the Quests? I'd be interested in the one that's better for full range applications, even though it wouldn't be that great for mid bass(it shouldn't be any worse than the stock woofer, right?). If low end response would be improved, I'd be happy with that for now.
Adrian, great, you’ll be able to play with the voltage and ‘see’ what it does for the high-end. Unfortunately, will also affect the midrange and mid-bass as well. Best bet to fix an overly bright top-end is either room treatments or a DSP speaker processor.
Also, a cheap way to cause a dip at 10K is to add a 1 Ohm resistance to the panel feed from your amp (but only the panel, so modding the x-over is required.) . It drops the volume a bit across the board, but mostly interacts with the rest of the circuit to cause that dip (use a total of 60w rated parts, so three 20w 1ohm resistors in parallel will do it).

As for the woofer upgrade, you could indeed use the same woofer, but only for a higher crossover point, both to the sub (60Hz) and to panel (250 to 315Hz). If you want a 12 that goes to 30hz, and goes clean to 250Hz, then more research is in order (and it won’t be cheap, a driver with those characteristics could easily be $300 to $600 / ea.
Which raises the question, do you have a sub in your system?

If you do, then I’d recommend you try the driver I selected for the Monoliths. It’s relatively cheap and the change is easy to do. But you will need to move the crossover points, and your crossover (or Speaker processor) must be able to do a 2.1 configuration.

Jonathan,

The front of my room has been treated quite a bit, but the rear is lacking. I was going for that dead end/live end theory. I added a bit more to the rear and rear side that didn't have much, and I think the brightness is toned down a little. I definitely want to get my hands on that DBX speaker processor.

I have a Velodyne sub in my system(12" with a 200 watt amp inside), but I only use it for video. That's why I was interested in the woofer upgrade that plays lower, and won't need to cross over so high. You mentioned 2 possible woofers, one of which should be used by those who still run the full range without a sub. I guess this means that we would have to settle for a leaner sounding mid bass.

Adrian

Jonathan,

...That's why I was interested in the woofer upgrade that plays lower, and won't need to cross over so high. You mentioned 2 possible woofers, one of which should be used by those who still run the full range without a sub. I guess this means that we would have to settle for a leaner sounding mid bass.

Adrian

Yep, no free lunch :p

If you want the low extension, then the driver needs higher cone mass to survive the pounding at low frequencies, which works against upper-end extension. But there are some reasonable choices out there that should work well in a system controlled by a speaker processor, which allows range and blend tweaking.

So you'd have to stick to close to factory crossover points.

A correction and some new information...I talked again with my friend who owns the Monolith prototypes, and found out that I was indeed mistaken about there being experimental technology inside that didn't get included in production models. Experiments were done in the development of the speakers, that included different rated values of internal components, eventually changing the crossover to accomplish active bi-amping, etc. This led to the values that were used in the production models.

Also, someone wanted to know more about the history(with Telarc) of the Threshold Model 4000 amp that I have in for repair. In terms of production, the owner has heard 2 things about this amp, and isn't quite sure which one is true. He heard that Threshold only made 140 of these, and he also heard that there may be as few as 40 of these in existence. Around the time of the Telarc Mahler 2nd Symphony recording, done with the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra in 1982, the symphony's recording engineer(who in fact was the first owner and helped develop the Monolith prototype) purchased 4 Model 4000s from Telarc. These amps were all previously used by Telarc, as the recording company then moved on to other Threshold models.

As for any interest in the Gateway Audio Society's Reference Recording, some things need to get put in place before proceeding. We are in the process of forming our own recording label, so there are legal things that need to happen, as well as setting up a company with a charter, tax exempt status, musicians agreements, copyright issues, etc. The list is quite long, but we are determined to make it happen. I'll let you all know when we are ready.

Regards,
Adrian

Last edited:
Adrian, thanks for the additional insight.

Not surprised they played around with the crossovers. Balancing the Monoliths is a bear, and that's with a highly flexible speaker processor.
I can't imagine what hell it must be to try and do it with passive components.

Those Threshold amps sound like they are really nice, I hope yours gets repaired soon.

Yep, the tech and I are going to talk again on Monday about either trading my Hafler Transnova for repair costs on the Threshold, or just selling it outright. Personally, I hope we can work out a trade, that would be easiest and fastest.

Adrian

Yep, no free lunch :p

If you want the low extension, then the driver needs higher cone mass to survive the pounding at low frequencies, which works against upper-end extension. But there are some reasonable choices out there that should work well in a system controlled by a speaker processor, which allows range and blend tweaking.

Well, no sooner than I expound on drivers needing rugged specs to survive, than one of my Monolith woofers (a Peerless SLS830669) fried due to 'high power delivery with no limiters' type situation ;)
Likely culprits: Seal DVD-A played at ‘live’ levels, or the new Matrix HD-DVD set, scanning for Demo passages at, ehem, ‘high’ volume :eek::

I'm looking at alternatives now, as listed in the thread on the woofer upgrade.

But I think it's a losing game to try and get a single 12" driver to keep up with the large panel. It will take a mid-bass array to do that.
So I'm working on that, details to come later once I test some hypotheses.

Ouch, sorry about your woofer blowing. I'll keep my eye on the woofer upgrade thread to see what you come up with.

Adrian

Back