WTF? CLX at Sound Advice?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So Martin Logan is now selling their top of the line speaker online at a place like Sound Advice? Really? Right alongside such "high end" brands as Bose, Soundcast and Rockustics?

And for thirty grand, no less! That's quite a markup from the $22,995 listed on ML's website. What's going on here? Is this an unauthorized listing, perhaps?

Link

Not sure about the $30k pricing, but the new (? old) owners appear to have bought back the Sound Advice name (which went belly up after they sold to Tweeter). At one time, they were the leading high-end A/V chain in FL, and where most of us in the Tampa contingent bought our ML's! I hope they are indeed the same ownership now resurrecting the chain.

Last edited:
So Martin Logan is now selling their top of the line speaker online at a place like Sound Advice? Really? Right alongside such "high end" brands as Bose, Soundcast and Rockustics?

And for thirty grand, no less! That's quite a markup from the $22,995 listed on ML's website. What's going on here? Is this an unauthorized listing, perhaps?

Link

It is $22995 for the base CLX's on there site. The one's for $30000 are in the special high gloss finish, analine dye-art finish, the same price on the Martin Logan Site. Extra cost for the stainless steel binding post and special power cord options are available.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info., guys. When I saw this ad, it didn't make clear that this was the aniline finish. That makes more sense. And I agree Sleepy: I too hope this is the original owners come to resurrect the brand. From what they write here, it looks like that may indeed be the case. So what was at first shock and horror for me, turns out to maybe be some good news in this era of difficult times for the high end audio industry. Congrats to the new/former owners of SoundAdvice and hope they do well resurrecting the brand.

I bought my CLSz2 from the (former) Sound Advice in Sarasota. I also got to hear the E2 Statements at an invite at that location....it was a good outfit...IMHO when they closed and Tempest Audio moved the high end died in our town.

I have some nice memories from the old Sound Advice. I spent many hours in their Tampa and Orlando stores over the years. I bought my Odysseys and Krell pre/pro from them right before Tweeter bought them and they went TU. While I no longer live in that area, I'm happy to read that the original owners bought back the store name and are starting anew.

I have some nice memories from the old Sound Advice. I spent many hours in their Tampa and Orlando stores over the years. I bought my Odysseys and Krell pre/pro from them right before Tweeter bought them and they went TU. While I no longer live in that area, I'm happy to read that the original owners bought back the store name and are starting anew.

Same here. My dad's old office wasn't far from Sound Advice. If not for this store, I never would have been introduced to Martin Logan. I have many, many fond memories of that place. It broke my heart when I learned that they went out of business.

Erik

I bought my CLSz2 from the (former) Sound Advice in Sarasota. I also got to hear the E2 Statements at an invite at that location....it was a good outfit...IMHO when they closed and Tempest Audio moved the high end died in our town.

Hello,
I had no idea Sound Advice reopened at the former location at 41 and Stickney Point. Very cool news. I might go there tomorrow.
Cheers,
JJ

Indeed, Sound Advice in Boca Raton was a friend of the South Florida Audio Society...

In fact, they were able to facilitate in conjunction with Devin Zell @ ML a Group buy of the CLS 2z 20th Anniversary Editions at the "Buy One get One at Half price" sale, even though ML forbid the practice otherwise...

Our membership purchased the final 4 pairs of CLS 2z's (myself included) that were built prior to their retirement from the line.

The original owner of the Sound Advice chain is re-opening the store on federal Highway in Fort Lauderdale very soon from what I understand.

Good stuff!!!

Cheers,
Ray

Latest posts

Back