World's first Universal Blu Ray Player

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!! But $5,860.00 a bit too rich form my blood. I will have to wait a few years and get it on ebay or audiogon. Still a very nice unit but it will not play x-box and PS3 games. If it did this then we would have something.

Guess I'm one of the eight who still care! Hopefully we will see more of these down the road at better prices.

If you have the Denon AVP, like I do, this new player does not make any sense.

It's a nice idea to have an all-in-one. But then they spoil it by loading it up with stuff that's not needed with modern processors like the AVP.

A good Denon DVD-x930 universal for DVD, CD, SACD, DVD-A over DenonLink3 is all one needs for audio and SD video.

Add a decent BluRay (any brand that has speedy load times, BD-Live and can bitstream high-def codecs) and you're done.

Total cost of both boxes (using good stuff) less than $2,500. So why spent 2x for one box?

Total cost of both boxes (using good stuff) less than $2,500. So why spent 2x for one box?

It always puzzeled me how and why manufacturers decide what products to produce. Oftimes it seems they do so just because they can.

I didn't realize the Denon AVP was that affordable. I've been thinking about an A/V pre-amp or possibly even a receiver for the dedicated room eventually, but for some reason thought the Denon unit was much higher priced. How much did you have to pay for it Jon, if you don't mind me asking?

I believe he was talking about a solid Denon 2930 or 3930 DVD player with a solid Blue-ray player for about $2.5K. If I could get the AVP for that price...

The upcoming OPPO BDP 83 Universal player looks to do all that the Denon does and is rumored to cost about a grand. Alot of the video/audiophiles are waiting on this unit as it is currently going thru beta.

It's a nice idea to have an all-in-one. But then they spoil it by loading it up with stuff that's not needed with modern processors like the AVP.

A good Denon DVD-x930 universal for DVD, CD, SACD, DVD-A over DenonLink3 is all one needs for audio and SD video.

Add a decent BluRay (any brand that has speedy load times, BD-Live and can bitstream high-def codecs) and you're done.

Agreed. Anyway, audiophiles are generally not going to want BluRay anything in their systems. A separate box would do me fine.

If you mean by audiophiles, died/dyed in the wool, two channel only audiophiles, then maybe. But don't throw MCH guys under the BluRay bus too:D

If you mean by audiophiles, died/dyed in the wool, two channel only audiophiles, then maybe. But don't throw MCH guys under the BluRay bus too:D

+1

Thanks for clarifying that. I am a former dyed in the wool 2 channel guy that's switched to MCH.:D Some people can adapt easier than others.

I didn't realize the Denon AVP was that affordable. I've been thinking about an A/V pre-amp or possibly even a receiver for the dedicated room eventually, but for some reason thought the Denon unit was much higher priced. How much did you have to pay for it Jon, if you don't mind me asking?

The AVP retails for $7,500 but can be found for $5,500 to $6K if you look around.

I got lucky and got a good deal from a fellow MLOC member who had a new, unopened unit.

Yes, good sound is good sound, # of channels should not be an issue.

But I can say, good multichannel is a LOT harder to achieve.

I believe he was talking about a solid Denon 2930 or 3930 DVD player with a solid Blue-ray player for about $2.5K. If I could get the AVP for that price...

Right-O, it's a Denon DVD-x2930 + a decent BluRay for $2.5K.

A preamp of the caliber of the AVP is actually cheap at $7+K.

I do hear they might introduce a lower cost version in the near future. Maybe under $3K.

Yes, good sound is good sound, # of channels should not be an issue.

But I can say, good multichannel is a LOT harder to achieve.

Tell me about it! I had to do some careful placement of speakers around the room and measuring over and over before I achieved my goal.:music:

New info on the Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-Ray player. I'm considering picking this player up to relieve my PS3 of Blu-Ray duties.

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Disc Player Update

Thank you for signing up to receive information about our upcoming OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player. We appreciate your interest, and would like to update you on the current development status of this exciting new product.

One of the major design goals for the BDP-83 is to deliver first-class video quality for both Blu-ray and DVD. We based and expanded upon our top-of-the-line DV-983H up-converting DVD player and fully utilize the unparalleled performance of the VRS by Anchor Bay video processing solution. You can expect all the high-end video features including Source Direct for DVD and Blu-ray, high definition HDMI scaling, Edge and Detail Enhancement options, and 1080p24Hz output for both Blu-ray and DVD.

We did not stop at just video performance. We further refined the audio stage, including the addition of discrete stereo outputs and increasing the power and efficiency of the power supply. For SACD playback, the BDP-83 supports direct DSD over HDMI and DSD-to-analog without any PCM conversion, a very unique feature.

With the BDP-83, we intend to release a full-featured universal Blu-ray Disc player that supports BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio. As of this writing, the BDP-83 supports BD Profile 1.1 (BONUSVIEW), DVD-Video, SACD, and bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Progress is being made on a daily basis as our engineers work diligently around the clock to further enable DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio onboard decoding, and BD Profile 2.0.

The BDP-83 is currently undergoing an extensive and thorough Beta Test Program. We greatly appreciate all the feedback from our beta testers, as without their hard work and extraordinary attention to detail, the BDP-83 would not be the high quality product that our customers have come to expect from us.

As many of our customers eagerly anticipate the release of the BDP83, we are contemplating a "BDP-83 Early Adoption Program" in late December or early January. This program will make available a limited number of units so you can purchase and experience the current implementation of the BDP-83's feature set, with the ability to download firmware as new features become available. The estimated price for the BDP-83 is around $499 to $599.

OPPO Digital is a consumer-oriented company that listens carefully to customer opinions and values their feedback. If it were not for our customers' feedback and support, OPPO would not be where we are today. At OPPO we strive to provide our customers with quality products reinforced by exceptional customer service.

You're right, it wouldn't make sense if you have a great PrePro like the Denon that decodes DSD streams and the current HD audio Blu-Ray formats. However, a universal BD player makes a lot of sense for the many owners of a good but older PrePro with 5.1/7.1 analogue inputs that don't decode the higher-rez BD audio formats.

Sony now has the BPD-S550 with 7.1 analogue outputs for $399. With this type of player now on the market I no longer need to upgrade my older B&K PrePro to take advantage of DTS HD or Dolby Digital Plus/TrueHD audio. Although, I may wait until the Oppo BDP-83 hits the streets.

Anyone have a guess when the Oppo will be available?

Last edited:
Anyone have a guess when the Oppo will be available?

Unit's have been Bata testing since September, the early adoption program will start at the end of December or early January. No word on when the player will officially go on sale.

I'm on the list for the "Early Adoption Program" so hopefully I'll have one to play with in a few weeks. :rocker:

Back