why Tweeter and Magnolia do not stock the CLX

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISH_MAN

Reaction score
why do we not see the CLX at especially Tweeter! how can you sell something you can not touch, feel or most importantly hear? I think these stores should give the potential buyer more credit. I know that these Items are expensive to stock but what does rent and electricity cost to run a store like these you would think that there very existence depends on a few flagship sales once in a while. maybe someone can explain otherwise. I think there sales approach is in error and wish martin logan would give them more incentive and pressure to do so.I just do not want to have to drive across the great wide open to hear a pair.

why do we not see the CLX at especially Tweeter! how can you sell something you can not touch, feel or most importantly hear? I think these stores should give the potential buyer more credit. I know that these Items are expensive to stock but what does rent and electricity cost to run a store like these you would think that there very existence depends on a few flagship sales once in a while. maybe someone can explain otherwise. I think there sales approach is in error and wish martin logan would give them more incentive and pressure to do so.I just do not want to have to drive across the great wide open to hear a pair.

Maybe it's because the average total system price of a system sold at tweeter is well under the MSRP of just this model of speaker.

Even Magnolia franchises probably avg. less than $20K per system.

So having that much tied up in a speaker that requires an entire room devoted to it is probably not in the cards. No return on investment.

I’d say, if you can afford $20K for speakers, you can afford the gas or air-fare to go hear them in a well set-up room.

The CLX is much more suited to the true high end salon, where people have the expertise and equipment to properly demonstrate this product.

Like mentioned previously I dont think Magnolia has access to the ESL series. Tweeter on the other hand is too busy closing stores to spend money on a fine set of CLX :eek:

Maybe it's because the average total system price of a system sold at tweeter is well under the MSRP of just this model of speaker.

Even Magnolia franchises probably avg. less than $20K per system.

So having that much tied up in a speaker that requires an entire room devoted to it is probably not in the cards. No return on investment.

I’d say, if you can afford $20K for speakers, you can afford the gas or air-fare to go hear them in a well set-up room.

Ding, ding, ding.

They don't sell the necessary amps to even drive these speakers. Keep the ML flagship speakers at reputable dealers that have trained and knowledgeable staff members.

Like Erik, JonFo and Sunday said....the last M/L wants is there Flagship speaker in a Tweeter, OMG what an unmitigated disaster waiting to happen !

Can you tell I can't stand Tweeter ? !!

The Magnolia in Seattle where I demoed the CLX had the best listening room I have been in at a audio store. It was huge and well treated with enough Macintosh gear to power New York. I would think they would want to carry the top shelf product as it always brings in the gawker and then you sell them on a lower priced model with trickle down technology. Why they don't is beyond me !

Last edited:
that's what I am saying C.A.P they have the money to do so.
I think the trickle down would be great who would not want be part of a company who produced a spire or CLX.

Last edited:
The Magnolia in Seattle had the best listening room I have been in at a audio store. It was huge and well treated with enough Macintosh gear to power New York. I would think they would want to carry the top shelf product as it always brings in the gawker and then you sell them on a lower priced model with trickle down technology. Why they don't is beyond me !

I spent 2:30 hours in their Bellevue store listening to the CLX on a set of 1.2kw Mac amps. I'm throughly impressed with them.:bowdown:

Magnolia from best buy?

I was in a magnolia part of the Best Buy store in Maple Grove MN. Is that the same one you're talking about C.A.P.? If it is, then the MG store is horrendous. Purity and Source were the only ML models they have. I've never seen McIntosh near a best buy. Is Magnolia a separate company that sells some stuff in some best buys?

Also, I worked at a retail that sold Mid-high MLs and Krell and Sunfire too. Trickle down happened once in a while, but mostly the people that came into that store were offended if I mentioned and wanted to demo the high end pieces.

ben

Putting the CLX in anything but a highly controlled environment would be a complete disaster for ML.

This is a speaker that needs careful attention to setup to sound it's best and is extremely revealing of the equipment behind it.

So somebody stops into a Tweeter store, hears CLX's thrown in the room with a cheap receiver connected, is underwhelmed by the sound and is out on his favorite audio forum saying "I heard those speakers, they suck"....

That's not going to help the cause.

Tonepub, I agree completely!

When speakers don't have the intended setting, defending them to the average audio joe is impossible. Describing intangibles, or what they "will" sound like will be impossible because if that guy doesn't have good gear, he doesn't/probably won't get it. If he does have good gear, and understands how it works, they probably won't have the space and the gear to be hooked up correctly. The trickle down will only work if the person selling them sounds credible. I know not everybody at your average box store and mid-line store is credible.

I was in a magnolia part of the Best Buy store in Maple Grove MN. Is that the same one you're talking about C.A.P.? If it is, then the MG store is horrendous. Purity and Source were the only ML models they have. I've never seen McIntosh near a best buy. Is Magnolia a separate company that sells some stuff in some best buys?

This store was in Seattle. It was a great audio room.

Also, I worked at a retail that sold Mid-high MLs and Krell and Sunfire too. Trickle down happened once in a while, but mostly the people that came into that store were offended if I mentioned and wanted to demo the high end pieces.

ben

Its not that it will sell alot its that as a good sales man I would use it as a selling tool.

Putting the CLX in anything but a highly controlled environment would be a complete disaster for ML.

This is a speaker that needs careful attention to setup to sound it's best and is extremely revealing of the equipment behind it.

So somebody stops into a Tweeter store, hears CLX's thrown in the room with a cheap receiver connected, is underwhelmed by the sound and is out on his favorite audio forum saying "I heard those speakers, they suck"....

That's not going to help the cause.

I totally agree with you on this Jeff. However that set up at Magnolia was damn good and you were there. They could have the CLX easily and use it as a selling point. As for Tweeter we do not even have them hear in MI.

Guys -

The president of a company that sells the most ML speakers on the East Coast has recently thought of dropping ML because of Best Buy/Magnolia.

After some sweet talk, the ML reps calmed him down and all is well.

Keep the low end (design line) stuff at Best Buy/Tweeter, etc.

Keep the ESL line at the high end salons.

MLs in Magnolia

Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say, C.A.P. The Maple Grove Magnolia, if it is supposed to compete with others that have high end gear, they don't. They have nice receivers, some separates and when I was there, they didn't have anything to even mention as a competitor with McIntosh. Parasound, I think was the only thing they had in separates.

I don't think that Best buy will ever pay anyone enough to sell their good stuff. If there is a salesman who is knowledgeable in that place, they will be few and far between here in Minnesota. Flagships are proven to be good selling tools, no question there.

Best audio store in the twin cities maybe in the Mid West
Audio Perfection. I spent a good day there. Great guys and great selection

I have news for you guys salesman don't sell martin logan speakers. if it was up to the sales d**k's you find at any of these shops martin logan would have been out of biz long ago. its the sound and the look that makes the sale and customer turnover and ex poser is what they need. many people with money to burn never make it to the high end shops. that's all I am saying

Back