Which Amp to buy? The most frequently asked question on this site. READ THIS!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

Big Dog RJ

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm super happy with it, it sounds awesome and has looks to match. I really like the circuit design of this amp, it's so simple, outside of the power supply I think there's only 4 film caps in the whole amp outside of the power supply.

I have no experience with there newer offerings, I have seen the class D stuff but haven't heard it. I probably never will hear the newer models as that stuff is wildly expensive. I'm sure it's great stuff but making amplifiers from 500lb blocks of billet aluminum seems kinda excessive.

I actually reached out to Jeff Rowland Design Group and it sounds like they can get me the service records and even offer an "update" package. I'm waiting to hear back from them.
Yes, you'll be very pleased with this one, and there's really no need to change at this stage. Check on what upgrades they offer, as it may enhance performance in the long run. It's one of those company's that gets their customer service right! Many others fall short today...

JR-DG have come a long way with their Class D designs. In fact, it's probably the most advanced tech in Class D design and they sound pretty darn good. With the all aluminium design chassis, this is solely for heat dissipation and to maintain light weight, so a forklift is not required when moving...
Their matching preamps are equally good and can compete with the top dogs. Pricing is Aus for the entry level gear Model-125 starts at 3grand. So things do get pricey over here.

Look after it well and it should serve a lifetime!
Cheers, RJ

DanR

Reaction score
Nice amp man and at a very reasonable price too! And Big Dog for one I think your comments are spot on! Also, good move on staying in contact with JR design group, these older soldiers need refreshing at some point to stay in the war and they very deservedly have a place on the front lines, these were great pieces of equipment built very well, take care of that new to you beauty!

Brandon Hartwick

Reaction score
Thanks guys, good to know others feel the same way about this amp. I feel it was a great find and I'm not a huge fan of solid state amps usually but I love the way this one sounds.

I picked this up to use I'm place of my big tube amps for now. They have blew up rectifier tubes twice now and with the price of tubes right now that sucks, they will be shelved until I can have a look at them.
PXL_20220429_230705563.jpg

Flm09

Reaction score
"What would be a good amp choice for my MartinLogan speakers"?

That is the most common question we hear on the site. The folks at ML hear it too.

Selecting the right amplifier is a HIGHLY personal decision. Before asking the question again, here are some things you should read first:

MartinLogan's guidelines on finding a suitable amplifier:
MartinLogan | Help Articles : Features and General Questions for Electrostatic Speakers

A section here on the MLO site of recommended amplifiers: Amplifiers
These are ML owners who have taken the time to write about the amplifier they're using with their system and what results they've had.

Search the "Members Systems" part of the site. Find owners with the same speakers you have and see what they're using.

Use the SEARCH function here at the MLO site. Read what others have asked and already answered!

An electrostatic speaker can dip down to less than 1 ohm in resistance, which many amplifiers cannot tolerate. An amplifier that doubles it's output when the resistance is cut in half (ie 250w @ 8 Ohms / 500w @ 4 Ohms, etc. ) is a good indicator that the amp is well built and stable.

As ML states on their site: ...it is important that the amplifier be stable operating into varying impedance loads: an ideally stable amplifier will typically be able to deliver nearly twice its rated 8 Ohm wattage into 4 Ohms and should again increase into 2 Ohms.

Do your research. Contact amplifier manufacturers and ask them questions about driving electrostatic speakers.

And lastly: You've made an investment in purchasing what we here at MLO consider to be the finest loudspeakers made. Don't cut corners when it comes to amplification.. Get the best amplifier you can afford. Your ears will be rewarded!
:music:
I love my all tube amplification! Sublime!😊

Ronin

Reaction score
One amp I am really like right now that drives the CLS with no issues is the Michi X5. Look that one up if your curious. It pretty affordable too. 350 into 8 and 600 into 4. Another is the Dag Progression integrated but for a fraction of the cost, the Michi does it all and has digital AKM 728.

Big Dog RJ

Reaction score
Nice one on the MICHI amplifier Ronin!

Have never heard or come across this particular one, in fact made by Rotel! Looks like Rotel's high-end version of what TEAC offers with Esoteric gear, which is very supreme indeed! Speaking of Esoteric, their digital playback systems use AKM chips in most of their DACs. Now Eso offers slightly different designed Dac's on their top of the line gear, being their own discrete ladder type DACs. Either way, this AKM stuff is definitely top notch!

If the MICHI X5 integrated can deliver that kind of power including the required current then that's all that's needed to drive and control stats efficiently. Sounds like a very good match with your CLS stats.
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Ronin

Reaction score
My buddy at TMR got me researching it. They make a X3 as well which would probably do the trick.

But the X5 is beast...

The Michi X5 Integrated Amplifier is Performance Redefined packaged in an exquisite industrial design delivering an astounding 600 Watts of Class AB power into 4 ohm speakers even under the most extreme loading conditions featuring an array of source inputs including Analog, Digital, XLR, apt-X Bluetooth, Moving Magnet and Moving Coil Phono Stage.