where to put the turntable?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a similar story involving a pot of my special green chili, some fresh jalapeños, and an ex-girlfriend. Once I'd gotten the chili on the stove we had some time to kill, so I poured us each some tequila, put some music on the stereo and we settled in to get "cozy". She was a hot blooded Equadorian girl, but the activity that afternoon brought a new dimension to the term. She ended up in the bath for a while and I had to promise to keep my hands off of her for the evening. We worked it out.

Hey another club member... member. Good story Tim :)

I'm gonna start a thread dedicated to accidental capsaicin/genitalia co-mingling. Or not.

Trying vainly to get this thread back on topic(!), I second the recommendation of keeping your phono leads short. I wouldn't be to worries about the proximity of your turntable to your surrounds, because the latter presumably wouldn't be on during TT playback.

PS You're welcome about the moving your gear recommendation. :) I really must try to visit you again, but I'm rarely in the lower mainland!

back to it.

Back to the thread. Been sick and got grabbed by "the thread which will have no name". First off - Rich, you and J and more than welcome any time. I still have no guest room, but if we put the crib into the laundry room, the double in his room is available. No really - it's not as bad as it sounds, for him or the guests :D

Back to the room.

I've been thinking that I could either put the TT in the center of the riser, kind of like a small table, but so that it does not get in the way of the two seating configs, it needs to be up against the wall
6107.4-1-2.jpg

6107.4-2-2.jpg

There is an external door at the back left of the room that make TT placement hard. The inside door has two potential locations - either right beside a chair in the theatre mode (make that the chair for the person with the smallest bladder) or the door is in the back right corner of the room - but that gets in the way of any turntable location there.

I'm also really hesitant to put the turntable in the corner as the bass nodes will no doubt create rumble feedback.

between the two potential doors there is a supporting wall that cannot be touched, it holds up two stories of house.

So, back to the riser in front of the rack. Looking at the swings for the rack doors, they are going to hit the turntable, so we have two solutions:

1. the rack needs to be above the turntable, or about 38" from the floor for ease of turntable use (using a height of 30" or so for the turntable shelf). That limits the rack space that I have.
  2. I put the turntable inside the rack, giving it a foot or more of air space above the platter for breathing room. But I am still concerned about boxing in the turntable on both sides and the back.

It is worse to have the turntable stuffed into a corner or put into an enclosed rack?

Don't forget that wherever you put the turntable you want to avoid a mad dash to the listening position to catch the start of the track.

Don't forget that wherever you put the turntable you want to avoid a mad dash to the listening position to catch the start of the track.

Good point. Not to derail this thread, but I always wondered how people with turntables in different rooms managed to hear the beginning of a side (unless someone else does the cueing...).

Back to the thread. Been sick and got grabbed by "the thread which will have no name". First off - Rich, you and J and more than welcome any time. I still have no guest room, but if we put the crib into the laundry room, the double in his room is available. No really - it's not as bad as it sounds, for him or the guests :D

Thanks! Next time Jenny and I visit my uncle (he lives just outside White Rock), we'll try to visit you! No worries about a place to crash though, we stay at my uncle's place. :)

Do you really want to listen to your records directly?
Have you ever recorded them to tape with your reel to reels?

I'm going thru the same process and the turntable and records will be in another room. I'll tape (maybe) or burn (blu-ray dvd) of records/compilations to be played in the home theater room.

Do you really want to listen to your records directly?
Have you ever recorded them to tape with your reel to reels?
That would take all the fun out of it. You'd listen to the same old clicks and pops every time; there'd be nothing new to listen to :)

I agree with the choices made that the turntable should be:
- as close to the equipment (phono pre amp) as possible.
- not in any proximity of a corner of the room or any other corner perhaps formed by a cabinet or wall protrusion.
- on its own rack or stand.

Be sure the turntable stand is as sturdy as you can afford or make so as to avoid its own natural resonating frequency. Or invest in some really good isolation devices for under the TT. By the way, be aware that although you are avoiding the bass build up in a corner where three surfaces converge (side wall, rear wall, and floor) when placing equipment in or against the middle of a wall you are still dealing with two surfaces, the rear wall and the floor. There will still be some buildup of bass frequencies there but not as much as the corner. I believe if memory serves me, that the energy in the corner is twice the amount or 3dB as much as against two surface convergence. My point is if you have the luxury of moving the turntable stand some amount from the center of the rear wall surface do so. Even a little bit will help.

As long as you can access the equipment racks as shown in your drawings, I like the location as shown. I think the functionality of your multi purpose setup is great!

Sam

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back