Placement of Center Channel Speaker / AV Stand

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am slowly building out my AV setup in my living room. TV is a great Sony mounted on the wall. There are two front speakers (left and right) on stands (Motion 35XTi), two additional speakers on the AV stand (15i) and a wonderful 50Xt for the Center in the cabinet.

A bit of a strange setup, I know, but it is a work in progress (I get things when I have disposable income and can get it by my wife).

I want to replace the 15s with a proper floor standing speaker like one of the new Motion XT F200s. Those look very beautiful, I assume they sound awesome.

However, I am concerned about the placement of the center inside of this cabinet. I understand that conventional wisdom is that you should have a center higher up and in general pointing at your ears, and to not put speakers inside a cabinet. The problem is that there is no room for the center to sit on top of the AV stand (which was picked out by the wife). We could raise the TV up, but really it is at where it should be.

Considering replacing the stand we have with something better. Something that sits lower and has room for the Center and 35XTis on the stand. When I get the floor standing speakers put them right and left, and find someplace for a subwoofer.

However, how big a deal is the cabinet really? We are using this set up for TV about 95% of the time, so the center channel is very important, but is placement really that important?

I really like Salamander Designs (something like this), but evidently so does Salamander, as man are they expensive! Possibly something a bit shorter and a bit wider.

I would very much appreciate anyone's guidance or suggestions.

Thank you,

Bryan

AVStand.jpeg

One option would be to mount the center speaker on the wall just above the top of the tv.

My old setup had the speaker sitting over top of theTV, it was on an entertainment center. It sounded decent.

I'd say if you think it sounds OK thecway it is, just leave it. Not sure how much trouble mounting it on the walk would be for you and if your wife would approve.

Back