What would you most like to see in the next generation of MLs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C.A.P - are you saying you'd sell that nice looking sub you took the trouble to create if a pair of CLX's came your way?

56Hz. But how many dB is it down at 25Hz I wonder?

Don't get me wrong, I think any electrostatic managing to handle lowish frequencies is great and the lower freq. a dynamic speaker needs to take over the better.

C.A.P - are you saying you'd sell that nice looking sub you took the trouble to create if a pair of CLX's came your way?

Don't get me wrong, I think any electrostatic managing to handle lowish frequencies is great and the lower freq. a dynamic speaker needs to take over the better.

Yeah, really C.A.P., Would you ditch the sub?

I have +2 db at 18hz and I'd never trade that for anything. :cool:

make that sweet spotS!

The narrower the panel, the wider the sweet-spot. ML has clearly used the Statement's stat panel as a model for the CLX's HF panel. And they'd make it even narrower (approaching ribbon width) if they could; but then the output would suffer (the domed mid/tweet designers found that out starting with the AR-3a !)

Therefore, don't be surprised to see an 8 to 10 inch wide, curved, triple-stator/dual-diaphragm HF panel in the CLXi, around 2010. How many sweet spots in your room?

As one who predicted gloom and doom for ML when they were sold. I am glad to see that they took on an ambitious project like the CLX. :bowdown:

It would also be great if ML would offer transformers for the CLS. Those electronics have to be getting just a little tired. If we have the latest panels why can't have the latest electronics in our transformers.

Transformers don't get tired, capacitors do. They lose their ability to hold and release a charge.

It would also be great if ML would offer transformers for the CLS. Those electronics have to be getting just a little tired. If we have the latest panels why can't have the latest electronics in our transformers.
Several CLS owners (incl. some forum members) have improved certain parts in the CLS electronics interface unit; but not the transformers. Sometimes transformers can suffer physical deterioration like rust, and insulation loss on pre-epoxy types which can cause disasterous shorts in power transformers.

One day I'll give Jim Power a call and find out what he thinks about the stock xfmrs and whether they can be improved upon, or the specs changed for better performance. (Someone here, maybe it was Roberto, I can't remember, installed xfmrs that stepped up the voltage to 7500 instead of the stock 5000 volts IIRC.)

I’m a little late to this party, but not light on opinions :)
A monopole radiation version, with a Transmission Line alignment applied to a Dualforce driver to really provide impressive bass, and rear wave absorption for the panel to allow for close to the wall positioning or wall mounting. If the entire cabinet depth was constrained to 6 to 8 inches, these could be wall mounted and not be too intrusive (if they have nice industrial design).
This would solve many, many room placement / room interface challenges that non-audiophile customers face when trying to integrate ML’s into their living spaces.

Hi Jonathan,

Hm this sounds like a pretty wacky idea but I have difficulty picturing what you mean here. Any chance of some half baked (or masterpiece:)) diagram to illustrate it? A photo of a sketch would be very cool indeed.

Justin

Last edited:
I'd like to see a new center channel that uses an electrostatic panel but is shorter from side-to-side than some of past offerings. More panel in a smaller unit.

C.A.P - are you saying you'd sell that nice looking ain . sub you took the trouble to create if a pair of CLX's came your way?

Now lets not jump to conclusions fellas ! Im saying its the best bass I have head from a panel. I feel I could live with out a sub. Would I ? I would have to see what it did in my room.

Good question. David Allen told me its not a 56 hz in a anhoic chamber its 56 hz in free air environment with out room gain

Several CLS owners (incl. some forum members) have improved certain parts in the CLS electronics interface unit; but not the transformers. Sometimes transformers can suffer physical deterioration like rust, and insulation loss on pre-epoxy types which can cause disasterous shorts in power transformers.

One day I'll give Jim Power a call and find out what he thinks about the stock xfmrs and whether they can be improved upon, or the specs changed for better performance. (Someone here, maybe it was Roberto, I can't remember, installed xfmrs that stepped up the voltage to 7500 instead of the stock 5000 volts IIRC.)

I know I have felt the 5000 volts at one time or another . Especially masaging the panel with heat and pressure when its been playing !

Not wishing to be pedantic or rude, C.A.P., but that would be "anechoic".

I trust it was a typo:D

Justin

Not wishing to be pedantic or rude, C.A.P., but that would be "anechoic". I trust it was a typo:DJustin
It was a typo all right; for alcoholic -- and "with out" is one word. But we allow certain people like Chris a free pass for spelling/grammar here because a.) he SO makes up for it in other ways ;) and b.) he's never going to change anyway :guiness:

The rest of us have to use spell check . . . . .

Last edited:
And on the seventh day, God created alcohol. And Martin Logans. And we all knew it was good. Very good indeed.:food12:

And on the next day, we weren't quite so sure... :puke:

It was a typo all right; for alcoholic -- and "with out" is one word. But we allow certain people like Chris a free pass for spelling/grammar here because a.) he SO makes up for it in other ways ;) and b.) he's never going to change anyway

The rest of us have to use spell check . . . . .

Man, Sorry for the TYPO fellas.:confused: My spell check with Firefox wouldn't recognize the word. I never claimed to win the national spelling bee, but I do try and check each post !

Neil , Just when our romance was blooming !

Alcoholic......... :rolleyes:???? NO,.... I'm a drunk, I don't go to classes !:D:

No worries fellas !

Now back to our regular scheduled thread ! ;)

In my opinion it's time ML put out a true, full range, no compromise dream system along the lines of the E2 but a little more real world in size and cheaper!! The CLX is a step in the right direction, but it doesn't go far enough IMO (even though I haven't heard it yet)...

But no compromise dream systems MUST cost a lot otherwise they cannot be no compromise, and the dream factor is only there because you "know" they are out of reach.

But I agree, a new E2 level replacement system would be cool. Because IT IS important to have a flagship to, er, well, make a "statement"!:D

Because IT IS important to have a flagship to, er, well, make a "statement"!:D

Yes - this is PRIMARILY why I said they needed a Statement e3..........it increases the cachet of the brand and the prestige of every single model below it. Very important!

Point of note: strangely, the E2s that were just on ebay only hit $13,000 odd dollars... however, the Audiogon auction for them is still live;)

A bit like expensive cars from certain manufacturers whose values plunge radically the moment you drive them out of the showroom...

The best never comes cheap... but then there is the massive depreciation to consider as well. Not always the case with some products, though.

Here's hoping that when the Statement E5 comes out:D, I am:

1) Still alive.

2) Rich enough to afford them.

I keep thinking about how those dual-force triple dipole drivers could be used as some sort of upgrade.

If ML were to introduce models with a switchable crossover frequency, surely an air framed dual-force driver could be purchased and added to the equation when funds permit.

In other words, drop the X-over freq to create a suckout, and fill it with MLs newly designed & dedicated DF airframe bass driver to get you down to around 56Hz all ELS, whereupon the existing woofer gets you down to around 35Hz...

Now that WOULD be cool... very cool indeed. I am sure a lot of people would go for it... though it would be best to keep the DF panels separate, for those with domestic WAF issues, maybe some sort of clip on bracket could be used.

Too good to happen? Or impractical in anyway? I wonder.

Last edited:
Something that has always irked me was having a sweet sub like the Descent and not being able to truly take advantage of its abilities since it has to be "tucked" away somewhere to enable daily life.

My sub is currently behind my couch and I would love if I was able to stack another Descent sub right on top of it. I am not saying that this is exactly what I would want, but something with their high end subs that gained vertical dispersion would be appreciated.

I want to actually hear my sub, not just feel it.

Maybe even a vertical array.

These wants are very difficult to actually put into form...I know.........:rolleyes:

Dominick

offer volume controll for a fully fully powered speaker

I would like to see volume controll via remote for the fully powered models that way you can hook more that an ipod easily to them. to all of you who like the speakers bigger and taller do you listen standing up? when i sit down and listen to my spires my head is about directly in the middle of the panel i think that is perfect my freind has a pair of request and they shoot above your head.I think the size panels they use are great mine belt ot more than enough super smooth and powerfull sound. also the larger speakers just would not fit in most spaces. I also would like only on pair of binding post on the back for i think bi wiring is as stupid as that cheep peice of metal logan gives you to jumper the post together it just gets in the way.logan does not recommend bi amping powered models anyway so what is the point?

I want to actually hear my sub, not just feel it.

Maybe even a vertical array.

These wants are very difficult to actually put into form...I know.........:rolleyes:

Dominick

Vertical sub array? You'll need the E2 Statements, then!:D

You've got me curious as to how my Descent would sound if I raised it, though. Never given the matter much thought, though I have seen sub-traps that raise them...

Might try with some bricks!:)

Back