What Was Your Best Upgrade In 2009?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 EL34 Russian made Tung-Sol tubes/ glass valves (plus an input tube) and the rebiasing process which has been an interesting power amp adventure.

The DIY TT modifications and room acoustic treatments were just an attempt to keep up with the new spectrum the Tung-Sol tubes offered up.

Purchases in 2009 have been Raven One turntable, Podium 3-level custom rack, Whest PS0.3R phono stage and most recently Music Maker III cartridge.

Collectively they all seem to work well, but the Raven probably makes the greatest fundamental difference. I'm still running in the MMIII cart (about 5 hours clocked so far out of recommended 30 hours). It looks an excellent tracker compared to my previous Linn carts. Even without the suspension run in, it's already managing the HFNRR torture track on band 4 - losing grip for only one second near the start of the test then another second at the very end. Not bad at all!

2009 was a big AV year for me. I upgraded almost everything except my primary L/R speakers. Got into separates, got into esoteric cables, got into DIY cables and fancy wraps. Got HD cables off the floor and installed through the walls and ceiling. Got into BR. Replaced 1/2 the innards of my projector plus bulbs.

I'm broke now. But I'm very, very happy.

Happy New Year.

Well folks,

I bought nothing nor did I do any mods whatsoever. I did purchase a lot of new music, mainly SACD classical and jazz. Nor do I have any urge for any future upgrades.

Despite the fact, or because, my system is digitally based :eek:, I am more than satisfied with its ease of use (mainly programming options), musicality and, most importantly, its ability to allow me to connect with the music.

My main limitation is my room, which is a bit on the small side. I'd love to have a larger space but that's not going to happen until I retire and buy another house.

GG

Last edited:
Upgrading my preamplifier to Lyngdorf DPA-1 preamp with Room Correction. You will not believe the change this has made to my system. Sound stage definition, placement of instruments in the stage, definition, bass clarity, presence... Its all there! The Lyngdorf if a wonderful preamp even without room correction. One of the most natual preamps I have ever heard and I heard a few (CJ, Sonic Frontiers, Meridian). With room correction engaged its a mind bogling experience. The listening room disappears and you are transported into the music venue.

Ronen

my new jolida amps jd3000a it replaced my wwyred4 sound ice amp, long live the tubes :music:

Ronen, your comments on the Lyngdorf is hurting me! I've heard such great things about the stand alone room correction piece is pushing me to the edge. Don't post anymore about it :D

Gordon

Gordon

Demo the new mac version. They've licensed the Lyngdorf technology..
I've heard it's supposed to be pretty good.

We're getting one in after CES.

Back