What should I do for the money?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Show the lady who's boss!! Just kidding!

I mean... er.... show us pics of the Summits when you get them! :D

If it were my choice I would choose the 2 channel Summit system over an HT system. I don't think you really gain all that much over the Summits with 3 more speakers and a sub not to mention the extra wires, amps, components and physical room real-estate taken up by an HT system. When a 2 channel system is setup right the stereo imaging and soundstage is pretty close to having a center channel speaker anyway. A very good stereo system is very 3 dimensional. Besides you can always add a center, sub and rears later on if you decide you really want that 5.1 system.

Wait.. there's talk about finish options?!

Cool!!

I vote for Birds Eye Maple in the Chrome finish (not the plain Aluminum.. I'm talking CHROME - their best metal finish). If not, I'm sure the BEM with the standard black will be awesome too!

If not Birds Eye, I would say....

Tigers Eye Maple.... my other veneer favorite! Currently seen on the uppermost BW 800D.

1137540513.jpg

1137540511.jpg

If you like the Wenge, the Tiger's Eye might be the kind of veneer for you.

Oh, and if you do get the Wenge, please post pics. We all like seeing exotic veneers! ;)

IWalker said:
I've got 2 good solid channels of amplification (lots of power, but it's not an "audiophile brand" amp) so I'd have to get more if I went with something beyond just the summits.

I too hope for 30+ years of marriage. Congratulations on the success in yours :) I'm hoping to convert her into a ML fan as well, but I'd be happy enough if she'll just let me enjoy them in her presence ;)

I wasn't expecting such a unanimous response to the question. This makes the decision easy :)

Any advice on the finish? I'm thinking I'm about 70% decided on the Wenge with aluminum trim, as the dark brown would best match my furniture and is a little more unique than a piano black. I know this is a pure taste question...but I'm just interested...especially if anyone has seen the different finishes in person!

What sort of amplification are you thinking of using? Any ML is not an insignificant load, so the amp will need to be up to the task. As some others have said here in other threads, it may be better to buy the vantage (2-channel setup, not the theatre stuff) and spend the difference on amplification. In the end, you have to listen to the options and buy what sounds best to you.

As for trim, I love the aluminium and would go for that if I was lucky enough to be buying Summits, but some people have thought it is a bit kitsch.....up to you!

I just let the UPS guy drop off the equipment at the front door; end of discussion. Yeah I am in the dog house for a few days but if I don't do it this way I would be listening to an Emerson boombox.

Anyways, the dog house ain't so bad if you have good music.

For some of the small(er) purchases, I'm risking a little bit of dog house time, but I would really get in some trouble if I tried to buy summits without permission!

The amp I've got is very meaty into 8, 4, and 2 ohms...my question is going to be how well it handles the .7-1.9 ohm range (since it's lowest listing rating is into 2 ohms). I certainly plan to upgrade it down the road, but think/hope it will handle the task quite well in the meantime.

That tiger's eye veneer is gorgeous! When it gets closer to time to make the purchase, I will definitely need to find out all the options available. The Bird's Eye maple with the standard veneer is too yellow for me, and really would stick out quite a bit I think. I tend to think that in the bright sunlight in south florida, yellows tend to wash out quite a bit. The final decision will be made by the wife (at that point) on the vood and veneer, but I'd like to present her all the best options available. I'll give jim powers a call at some point, and see what he has to say!

I am going to try my hardest to convert her into, at the very least, someone who appreciates the difference imparted by great speakers. Even if I can't turn her into an audiophile, hopefully I can help her get some enjoyment out of the summits. In my mind, it'd be pretty hard not to!

Back