What is the Most Profitable Audio Company in the World?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bose

Ack!

How could I miss Bose?!!!!!

eknuds,

:bowdown:Congradualtions! You are quite correct it is Bose. :music:

I was just doing some final reseach into my most recent music gear aquisition, my first and only purchase of anything Bose, I bought the Bose L1 Model 2 - PA system for $2.5K (USD). This Bose PA happens to be one of their more expensive audio itiems. I must say never thought I would buy a Bose anything but after auditioning JBL, Fender, more Mackie and Beringer etc. IMHO the Bose L1 articulated line aray sound just blew the competition away. I do wish ML had a great sounding PA system but unfortunately they do not. In addition, I purchased the Bose T1 audio engine (Mixer) and other optional accessories for a grand total of about $4K (USD). An added plus for me is that the system is very light weight. Essembled in sections each section weighs no more than 30 pounds, so I can set up the system in about 15 - 20 minutes by-my-self, which as you all know by now I am upper body strength challenged. This is wonderful for my solo performance singing with my accoustic guitar. Anyway, the information on Wikipedia which :)User211 found and by-the-way ~ Thank you - you and Craig are the runner-up winners. This was the source of the information I found as well. :music:

I still plan to purchase a Mesa Boogie Mark V head with seporate horozontal 2" x 12" speaker cabinet later on this year, for my other electric guitars.

Attachments

• Bose L1 Close-up.jpg
    Bose L1 Close-up.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Bose L1 Model 2.jpg
    Bose L1 Model 2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Robin, how do they sound with regular music through them? I heard these in Guitar Center stores and outside in front of a Bose store. Their 2 1/2 inch drives falls off around 16K, but it had the same warm midrange that many audiophiles like.

Bose L1 Model 2...

Robin, how do they sound with regular music through them? I heard these in Guitar Center stores and outside in front of a Bose store. Their 2 1/2 inch drives falls off around 16K, but it had the same warm midrange that many audiophiles like.

longhorn,

The tone is clear and unmasked especially in the mid-range. The highs are smooth and bold and again totally un-colored, unmasked / nothing added to the sound. :music:The only tone problem I could hear was regarding the bottom end. The system does sound better with two base units aka B1 (bass bins) to achieve a deep bass sound response, at least for my ears. So I have another B1 bass bin coming next month for an additional $300 (USD). This will necessitate taking three trips to my Prius to unload but at least I can cart them in to the gigs my self if necessary. ;)

Attachments

• boseL1MII.jpg
    boseL1MII.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 164
Wow! I totally missed that... Sorry.

DrJRapp did get it!! Or alternatively, I got it 'cos I was going to say Bose too until I saw that you turned 'Rapp down......

:wow: You are quite correct.... So sorry... my mistake, DrJRapp was first is a winner too. :music: ...and amey01 you would have been a winner as well. :bowdown:

Since when did Bose become an audio company?

I thought it was a marketing company.

Since when did Bose become an audio company?

I thought it was a marketing company.

:ROFL:

It's the Jedi masters Bose employs, they mind-trick everyone into thinking their products sound great :D

Seriously, this model Robin purchased is a great example of how one can take a relatively poor performing small driver, that when put into a well-designed line-array, provides astonishing sound.

As long as I can, my main speaker will always be line arrays, so whether an ESL or a big friggin row of ribbons/dynamic drivers, line-arrays rule :rocker:

Oh, and congrats Robin on the new setup.

If my memory serves me correctly Bose started out making PRO gear. The original 901 (900) was intended to be a PA speaker for music groups. It had high power handling ability from an array of relatively inexpensive 5" drivers and dual port loading. It was designed to sit on a stand above ear level. Soon after the audio world started to utilize this system for stereo playback. Since it's multiple drivers individually did not have to work very hard the overall distortion was very low, however, since the drivers were not "full range" so to speak, the system needed an equalizer to insure linearity in the audible range. That is where the Bose concept of cheap drivers being compensated by electronics was born.

Robin -

A few years back I listened to that system (an older one) at a wedding. I didn't know what to expect. But you what, it wasn't half bad.

Erik

Line Arays...

:
Oh, and congrats Robin on the new setup.

Jon,

Thank you.

I have always been attracted to long tall speakers for a long time now. :D
But seriously, ML - ESL's are tall and have a wonderful clarity of sound which is just marvelous. Line arays are awsome if able to produce the tonal sound qualities for my ears. Amazingly enough IMHO the Bose L1 Model 2 system delivers on that score.

When I was auditioning all the PA systems ~ singing / playing guitar from soft voice to loud voice from strumming to picking and all the while listening for all the suttle and not so suttlies of tone projected, the articlated line aray from Bose came out on top. My journey took months but I am happy with this set-up. I still have my big Mackie speakers / Yamaha mixer system for the music room at home use as well. :music:

I still plan to purchase a Mesa Boogie Mark V head with seporate horozontal 2" x 12" speaker cabinet later on this year, for my other electric guitars.

Messa Boogie, hey - I've always liked the idea of one of those. Or a Bad Cat. I use a Cornford Harlequin 6 Watt tube jobbie - a small British company. It's great but it can't do loud cleanly.., but it overloads the tubes at low volumes really nicely for solos and power chords etc - you actually have some ears left after a session and can get some great tones. Just the thing for playing at home, really. Just wish it could go louder "clean".

Seem to remember I started a thread on musical instruments, which Tom said he'd merge with one you started - not sure he got round to it though...:)

No matter...

BTW: thanks for my runner up prize...;)

Cornford Harlequin Amp...

Messa Boogie, hey - I've always liked the idea of one of those. Or a Bad Cat. I use a Cornford Harlequin 6 Watt tube jobbie - a small British company. It's great but it can't do loud cleanly.., but it overloads the tubes at low volumes really nicely for solos and power chords etc - you actually have some ears left after a session and can get some great tones. Just the thing for playing at home, really. Just wish it could go louder "clean".

Seem to remember I started a thread on musical instruments, which Tom said he'd merge with one you started - not sure he got round to it though...:)

No matter...

BTW: thanks for my runner up prize...;)

I had never heard of the Caornford Harlequin? I'll have check it out... :music:

The great thing about a really wonderful sounding PA system is making small sound amplifier so much bigger through microphoning it to a big PA system for all the volume you need. :)I saw this done at a the Kenny Loggin's concert I attended a couple of years ago. His small amp blasted the auditorium and sounded amazing through his PA system. I don't think the Bose system I just purchased would be good for that but my Mackie / Yamaha - PA system would do the trick, given the proper instrument microphone for the small amp... ;)

It's the Jedi masters Bose employs, they mind-trick everyone into thinking their products sound great :D
Very true. A number of times when I mentioned to someone that I had a high-end system I was asked if it was Bose.

Latest posts

Back