What is the Most Profitable Audio Company in the World?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
:music:OK without Googling this...
You guys will know this one hands down but I'll give you three hints anyway:

~ It is a privately-held American company.

~ This company just surpassed the previous record holder of the most profitable Audio company.

~ This company has contracts with the US military and NASA.

...anyone?

Oh! also..., I would also like your opinion as to why you think your guess is the most profitable audio company... :)

Harmon International...they are diversified with multiple lines from high to low end. They make the gamut from electronics to speakers.

or alternatively...Bose. They probably are the most profitable because they put so little into their speakers...both figuratively and literally, yet charge such high prices.

Last edited:
Please tell me it's not Monster.:eek:

I am going to guess Audio Research because they are one of only a few "old guard" companies still left standing. Though I doubt NASA uses tubes!

Harmon International...they are diversified with multiple lines from high to low end. They make the gamut from electronics to speakers.

or alternatively...Bose. They probably are the most profitable because they put so little into their speakers...both figuratively and literally, yet charge such high prices.

I was going to guess the exact same thing for the exact same reasons. I'd assume I'd be similarly incorrect as well.

Hovland, I think, as they also make very high grade capacitors, which would be used by the military and NASA.

Last edited:
I'm guessing Sony or Pioneer.

I love the high end, but we are in fact a tiny blip on the radar.

I would have said Boothroyd Stuart (the owners of Meridian) because they make astounding audio gear AND are the prime supplier of avionics and other electronics for the British military, but you said it was an American-owned company, so that rules Boothroyd out...

My next guess would be Harmon International--they own JBL, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, AKG, Infinity, Crown, BSS and Studer, as well as several other "pro-sound" marques. They also make computers, broadcast equipment, video gear, and are an OEM supplier. And they are headquartered less than an hour from New Haven CT, which is th home of Yale University, so there's the military-industrial complex connection...

Most of the other American "consumer" names aren't owned by American concerns anymore, with the one shining example of Klipsch, which still hasn't been bought up by the Japanese, the Dutch, or the Chinese...

The major exception in audio are the "high end" companies like Krell, AED, VPI, Hovland, ARC, etc. But their margins are so low, and their sales are such a tiny percentage of the market, that there is no possible way they could be the "most profitable in the world".

But I see that DJRapp's guess of Harman is not right, so I'm at a loss...

Trick question?

Apple - iTunes and supplies iPods to US troops and education program with NASA etc???

I hope an Englishman hasn't just got this right?:D Or do I have egg on my face?:)

Last edited:
Trick question?

Apple - iTunes and supplies iPods to US troops and education program with NASA etc???

Apple does have contracts with the US Military and NASA, they do quite a bit in audio these days, and they are an American company, but they aren't privately held.

It is Bose. They invest heavily in marketing and have many government contracts with their nose canceling headphones and technology.

Back