What if ML released a new high-end (non CLX) speaker?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were possible to get 30hz bass out of a 'stat, then unless you were into pipe organ bass, why would you need a sub?

Just because the crossover point is 30hz doesn't mean you get full output at that frequency from the panel. There is a crossover slope where the output from the panel gradually diminishes and the output from the sub gradually picks up. Just ask CLS owners with Depth or Descent Subs whether they think they need them. Most are very happy with the combination.

If anything, I think they really need to return to 48" long panels. Not so much for SPL, but for giving a taller window of coverage.

Yeah, I'd like to see a 48" tall by about 16" wide panel, mid-bass line array, and a couple of Descent i's. Yep, I think that would about do it for me. :D

Just because the crossover point is 30hz doesn't mean you get full output at that frequency from the panel. There is a crossover slope where the output from the panel gradually diminishes and the output from the sub gradually picks up. Just ask CLS owners with Depth or Descent Subs whether they think they need them. Most are very happy with the combination.

With out a sub its prety thin . There may be usefull bass but it needs to be augmented ! Unless you listen to acustic guitar only !

OK, this is now inspiring me to go all out:

Here’s my ideal ML high end system:

64” x 13” ESL panels in pure vertical 82” tall frames coupled with sealed enclosure for line array of mid-Bass 82” tall sealed boxes with 10 x 6” drivers

Total main system profile width is <21” wide, and about 16” deep. The pedestals are wider/deeper to help manage 'tippiness'

System is designed so the two towers are symmetrical top to bottom so they can be ‘flipped’ on their pedestals to allow for panels inside or outside the line array. That is, you flip the speaker, then swap its position to get the inverse arrangement.

Low frequencies are supplied by a pair of what essentially would be triple-stacked Depths (minus their amps and xovers, which are externalized).
The full rig is managed by a dedicated speaker processor integrating active crossovers, delays and room correction.

The entire set is powered by custom adapted versions of the Sanders amps for the mid-bass and panels. The Sub stacks basically have sets of the same factory amps used in the depth.

Just add a good preamp and you are set !

That’s about it. I’ll take a full 5.2 set, thanks ;)

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess c.a.p.'s right. What I really want to see is the CLX. Single panel down to 30 hz. then cross over to a sub.

That sounds pretty cool, too. Jonathan, maybe you need to go into business modding old MLs. You take a Prodigy or an Odyssey, remove the woofer module and add a midbass line array, and some high-tech electronics, and then sell it as a package with a pair of Descents. Talk about Mini Statements! Then again, why should you have to do this? Why the heck doesn't ML do this?

Rich, you must have been reading my mind. I've toyed with the thought, it's just I like playing with the rig more than I do starting a Biz.

The big hold-up on this is actually the tuning. One would need to factor in visit to the clients room and tune the system to their environment.

Ideally, one would create software (and gee, I've been in THAT biz for 31+ years) that would do this automatically/remotely. I do have plenty of ideas/designs on that. I think that's where the rub and the opportunity really is.

Right now, I'm listening to my highly tuned and customized system as I type this and it's absolutely frigging awesome. I can hardly imagine it getting much better.

Here's my idea of an ideal Stat system...

- 12" x 60" curved stat panel crossed about 200 Hz.

- Flat ESL bass panels handling from 200 Hz down to about 35 Hz.

- Electronic crossover with steep slope (18 - 24 db/octave)

Amplifiers of choice, but my choice would be a 100 wpc tube HF amp and a 300 wpc SS amp for LF amp.

IMO, that would constitute a true high end system.

Last edited:
What if ML unveiled a new hybrid electrostatic speaker this year? How about one that closes the $ gap between the Vantage and Summit? What if it had the Summit Panel with just one down firing woofer? Should the woofer be powered or not. What if it cost around $8K? Would this make sense?

Sir - you have absolutely no idea how close you are! It's called the Spire. It's brand new from Martin Logan and they will be shipping in May. They list for $8495 and the only place you can see them right now is on display at the newest Tweeter location in Lincoln Park, IL.

Now go check them out!

Sir - you have absolutely no idea how close you are! It's called the Spire. It's brand new from Martin Logan and they will be shipping in May. They list for $8495 and the only place you can see them right now is on display at the newest Tweeter location in Lincoln Park, IL.

Now go check them out!

Tom has posted a message in the Press Release section...

Tom has posted a message in the Press Release section...

That was the whole idea of the post and everyone went off on a tangent on how they would design it. Maybe the next one. This one is already designed.

That was the whole idea of the post and everyone went off on a tangent on how they would design it.

Sorry, Craig. But that is just way too subtle for us. ;)

I'm still wondering how I missed that post of Tom's in the first place.

would like to see an updated Monoilith type speaker...panel going down to 125-150 hz range...only failing I could find/hear when auditioning the Summits.

Ahhh, a single FRONT-firing woofer... now it makes sense... a Summit, Jr.

Might this have even BETTER panel/bass integration than the Dual Woofer Summit?? Initial specs say it goes down to 29 Hz, so you only give up 4 Hz for the smaller cabinet size. I predict they have a winner!

Attachments

• spire (Small).JPG
    spire (Small).JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 121
They should have named it the...Summantange!!!

Or how about the... Vummit?

Ok, maybe not such a good idea.

Nice to see a lower priced model with the high-end panel.

I'll be in the market for a used pair in a few years. This one is a modders delight.

Latest posts

Back