VPI Traveler. Am I going nuts?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gordon,
:) :)
I'm not exactly overflowing with expert VPI knowledge myself as you can see... ;)

I use the Stillpoints exclusively on the turntable. The custom OEM versions are used on a quite a lot of different turntables - not only American but European as is the case with the TW Acustic Raven?
I’m normally very good at posting images on the MLC but my last attempt was abortive as I edited the pathname 
Not sure if you can make it out clearly from the link above?
From that you might get some sense of how discreet they can be. The T/T has moved on substantially since then with the addition of the Phantom II & Lyra MC
My Simaudio amplification comes with integral alloy cones much like the VPI, only these are sharp with matching footer pads.

As a matter of fact,I've done a fair bit of experimentation with cones and spikes over the years, often with surprising and unexpectedly opposite results e.g. siting wooden cones or carbon fibre directly under toroids in phono stages etc. Switching between hard coupling (cones) and soft coupling (flexible feet).
Some of the earliest -Stands Unique brass spikes with matching carbon fibre washers. (I've still got several sets of these somewhere)

http://www.standsunique.com/productrange/accessories/energymanagement.htm

The beauty of these is they prevent veneer damage to the product.
Can't understand the description "10 years development" because I've had original samples for at least 20 years.
The title was exactly the same back then : "Carbon Fibre Isolators".
Best regards,

Last edited:
Here it is! Up and running. The New Scout 1.1

It's pretty, it's sleek and sounds even better than Traveler.

Thanks VPI for great customer support......

Comments: Feet are cones with metal balls on tips and I think I preferred the ones with Traveler (rubber tips). With metal ball tips it's way too easy to slide the turntable over shelf. The arm is definitely more solid that the one in Traveler although my first impression was that it is very wobbly. Wobbly, because traveler's arm has limited horizontal movement by it's design.

Only one annoying thing is the platter mat, which is loose. It sticks to record living visible signs of it's texture. When I remove Vinyl from the platter the mat stays "glued" to the record.

New table sounds "bigger". More dynamics, wider and deeper soundstage. Overall, worthy upgrade.

Last edited:
The arm is definitely more solid that the one in Traveler although my first impression was that it is very wobbly. Wobbly, because traveler's arm has limited horizontal movement by it's design.

welcome to the world of 'uni-pivot' !

Only one annoying thing is the platter mat, which is loose. It sticks to record living visible signs of it's texture. When I remove Vinyl from the platter the mat stays "glued" to the record.

plenty of other mat options out there

Congrats on the new TT !

The new VPI Scout looks great Bart!! Sounds like you are pleased with its sound too, enjoy your time with it!

p.s. You sure you weren't using your "fish-eye" lens in that initial picture of the warpped Traveler plinth...lol...

Sam

Latest posts

Back