Voodoo calling...should I answer ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Cardas (meant Sheffield/XLo) test and demagnetizing CD does the same thing for $35 dollars, or less, and does IMS make an audible difference (I think an improvement) across the board.

Last edited:
Sad to say, the Sheffield/XLO degaussing tracks do work. Even my non-audio friend hears the difference in the clearer/cleaner highs. It's quite obvious. Caveat - apparently it should not be played thru more than once each occassion, else the highs will develop a hardness. But it will go away eventually till the next degaussing.

Well, I could build my own degausser CD at 0 $ cost, by producing a 2-minute tone sweep from 5 HZ to 20kHz directly to AIFF and burning a CD with 5 sweeps like that in a row, for a 10 minute delight which will for sure make my cat establish a new height jump-on-the-curtains record - I think I'll try that right now.

I would think a CD would be more thorough, considering that if you plugged the exorcist into your preamp, it wouldnt degauss your cdp, right?

Well, it's what I prepared, a music CD with the sweep on it. Anyone interested in the sweep ? it's a 66 MB aiff file, I can upload it anywhere you want :)

I am very skeptical about its effect, but degaussing the cat will be fun :devil:

Well, I could build my own degausser CD at 0 $ cost, by producing a 2-minute tone sweep from 5 HZ to 20kHz directly to AIFF and burning a CD with 5 sweeps like that in a row, for a 10 minute delight which will for sure make my cat establish a new height jump-on-the-curtains record - I think I'll try that right now.

Lugano,

Maybe 10 min is too long a duration. The Sheffield track lasts only 0.57 min. Don't end up with very hard brittle highs. Poor kitty!

Lugano,

Maybe 10 min is too long a duration. The Sheffield track lasts only 0.57 min. Don't end up with very hard brittle highs. Poor kitty!

Cat completely degaussed - after looking nervously in all directions with big round eyes and walking around pointless in the room, it first went under the table, then ran away. As for the Hifi - the PS audio went in Protection fault after I wasn't able to discern any sounds (probably around 17 kHz or upper). Now everything seems to sound worse (harsher), but probably it's me - I degaussed myself as well. Definitely not a success story :rolleyes:

Cat completely degaussed - after looking nervously in all directions with big round eyes and walking around pointless in the room, it first went under the table, then ran away. As for the Hifi - the PS audio went in Protection fault after I wasn't able to discern any sounds (probably around 17 kHz or upper). Now everything seems to sound worse (harsher), but probably it's me - I degaussed myself as well. Definitely not a success story :rolleyes:

HaHaHaHeHeHe....
So much for DIY :D I did warn you! Maybe you didn't get the amplitude at correct level.

HaHaHaHeHeHe....
So much for DIY :D I did warn you! Maybe you didn't get the amplitude at correct level.

Ben, I only played a 2 minute sweep, at the normal listening volume. But I know it's me, because after all this I put on the AKG 701's and they were also sounding less than spectacular to my ears, too - and they were not part of the procedure. Now all that's left is to make fun of myself publicly and serve as an example of audiot. But at least I can claim "been there done that" the next time this argument is brought into discussion. Note that if a bad result has been achieved - instead of an improvement - in absolute terms the "it will change something" still holds, so the engineer in me is somehow satisfied.

Ben, I only played a 2 minute sweep, at the normal listening volume. But I know it's me, because after all this I put on the AKG 701's and they were also sounding less than spectacular to my ears, too - and they were not part of the procedure. Now all that's left is to make fun of myself publicly and serve as an example of audiot. But at least I can claim "been there done that" the next time this argument is brought into discussion. Note that if a bad result has been achieved - instead of an improvement - in absolute terms the "it will change something" still holds, so the engineer in me is somehow satisfied.

Hey Lugano,

I was laughing more at the feline antics than its master's. :D
Seriously, I wish you would try and get hold of the CD and tell me it's really voodoo stuff. Not that I don't trust my aging hearing facilities. You won't be wasting your $$ cause there are some nice music tracks on this HDCD disc.

Friends,

I got it: The magnetization which supposedly happens during playback must be the effect of the oft quoted component burn-in! So that's why!

Radu, I am afraid you undid hundreds of hours of burn-in. You performed the opposite of a burn-in.

You did a burn out. :D

Radu, I am afraid you undid hundreds of hours of burn-in. You performed the opposite of a burn-in.

You did a burn out. :D

ROFL yes, and this weekend everything must be perfect, got audiophiles coming for a listening session + barbecue at my place...I'll add another 10 kg to the back of the CLS and vacuum them in the desperate hope of restoring my system's reputation :D

Ok, just ordered it at amazon for $30, I'll report back when it comes and does its stuff :)

Hey Lugano,

How did your demagetisation CD work out? Hope to hear that it really works.

Hey Lugano,

How did your demagetisation CD work out? Hope to hear that it really works.

It may work in subtle manners, ben - the only thing I perceive is a temporary lack of high frequencies, after using it. And this time I quickly pressed play then ran out of the room, waiting for the magic to happen. At least my amp did not go in protection mode, as it did with my roll-your-own demag, which really went up to 20 kHz without taking any prisoners. My real opinion is that there's no faith to build a religion upon, in this demag concept. YMMV.

It may work in subtle manners, ben - the only thing I perceive is a temporary lack of high frequencies, after using it. ....... My real opinion is that there's no faith to build a religion upon, in this demag concept. YMMV.

Lugano,

Am disappointed it didn't work on your system. :( Possibly it will only work on lesser ones. Could my new problem with tinnitis, just realised a few weeks ago, be the result of having too much faith in it, I wonder. Now my ears are continuously being self demagnetised. Hope it wouldn't drive me nuts eventually.

Back