Very best/finest mains cable on the planet?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps the luckiest people are those who have components with non-detachable power cords, like my preamp and monoblocks.

ARC with non-detachable power cords?

Not that I disagree with this approach (clearly, I don't), but I would have thought it to be a standard audiophile issue. Much like chunky faceplates and oversized casework (which has equal effect on sound quality.....ie - NIL).

I'm trying a completely new concept of mains cable in the next few weeks. Made up from 3 strands of really thick 10 gauge (AWG)/6mm2 lengths of pure copper attached to fuseless mains plug, called 'The Beast' from a guy called ROY K RICHES. Heres one of his threads from PINKFISHMEDIA http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10676&highlight=beast+mains+cable
He appears to know his stuff as I have already spoken to a number of satisfied people he's already helped. He's also successfully advised me on a few areas of my hi-fi within the past few months. If I like this power cable I am going to pay him to make me one up using Cardas Pure Copper 9.5 AWG (American Gauge) chassis cable. I've already checked with Cardas in the US and it appears this cable is designed to handle high voltages of up to and beyond 480V. Anyway Roy is loaning one of his Beasts to me.

Hi Jeff,

I appreciate your very gracious response but the fact is that your posts, given your current position in this industry, carry much more weight than many other members.

I'm not saying that is good or bad, but it seems the lack of recognizing / accepting this fact (you are the 800 pound gorilla on this website) is, IMHO, ignoring reality.

Respectfully,

Gordon

Guys, the way I interpret the discussion so far is that we are all in violent agreement, i.e. the "suck it and see" approach is the best. But then, it can be dangerous to be in violent agreement with an 800 lb gorilla :)

Or am I missing the point? Would not be the first time :)

For those of you that need some measurements, the folks at Shunyata have done some pretty exhaustive testing that I think not only goes a long way at proving their case for buying an upgraded power cord, but the science behind upgrading this part of the system, whether you buy their cord or not.

http://www.shunyata.com/Content/DTCD.html

For those of you that need some measurements, the folks at Shunyata have done some pretty exhaustive testing that I think not only goes a long way at proving their case for buying an upgraded power cord, but the science behind upgrading this part of the system, whether you buy their cord or not.

http://www.shunyata.com/Content/DTCD.html

As far as engineering goes, I don't think that they could drive a railroad train.

You could always call the Cable Co. and get their very informed opinion. At the very least, you will get interesting recommendations. They do offer a valuable option for those of us that live in under served (audio wise) areas. Their lending library will allow you to sample (at home) the various brands.

Guys, the way I interpret the discussion so far is that we are all in violent agreement, i.e. the "suck it and see" approach is the best. But then, it can be dangerous to be in violent agreement with an 800 lb gorilla :)

Or am I missing the point? Would not be the first time :)

Bernard,

Thanks for understanding my obtuse humor. What is the "suck it and see" approach?

Just to clarify, I think Jeff has provided valuable insight on many issues and I for one (at least most of the time :D) am glad he chooses to post on this website.

Gordon

Bernard,

Thanks for understanding my obtuse humor. What is the "suck it and see" approach?
Gordon, the "suck it and see" approach is the "try it in your system and see (hear) how you like it" approach. Just my short-hand.

Bernard

As far as engineering goes, I don't think that they could drive a railroad train.

And what qualifies you to make this claim? How many high end audio products have you designed, built and brought successfully to market? If the answer is none, then I don't think this is a train you are qualified to drive either.

I've met a lot of people in the high end over the years and Caelin at Shunyata is very committed to product research and development. For what it's worth, I've been there to listen to his reference system and it is one of the most musical I've ever heard. I'd put his system squarely in the top ten best that I've had the pleasure to experience, with maniacal attention to detail.

First, you all bitch because even though you can hear differences between power cords, you need some science to "prove" it to you. Now that there is at least what I think is a reasonable effort in that direction, of course it's all pooh poohed by people like you, who claim to know better.

Personally, while I think power cords and cable are the icing on the cake in a good system, I still think it's the last thing you should ever spend serious money on until you've done everything else.

No one is putting a gun to your head to buy any of this stuff, and there are enough dealers that will offer home trial and/or your money back if you don't hear it/don't like it. So where is the harm in any of this?

But it's the same argument (and it's boring), you either don't have a resolving room/system/software, can't hear it or can't afford it, so your judgement is that it's bad or it doesn't exist.

A few years ago I handed the keys to my Mercedes E420 to a buddy of mine that drives a Camry and he said there was no difference. It's the same thing, but in his world, there was no difference because a car was merely something to go from A to B in. On the other hand, my 70 year old mother in law, just went from driving a Benz to a Camry because my father in law is on a frugal kick and she said to me at dinner the other day, "I hate that car, the Mercedes was much better."

Typically, if you are driven by performance (with anything) you tend to seek out more performance until you run out of time, patience, money or the ability to experience a meaningful difference, if you are pursuing something from an enthusiast perspective.

Whether it's a hifi or a fly fishing rod, the more time you spend with it, the more you get used to the performance available and if obsessed enough, try to get more. If you don't that's ok too. I think most people on this forum and hifi enthusiasts in general upgrade their systems until a point where it all feels "good enough". However, good enough for one person, may not be for another. That's where all the cable, etc comes in.

If you've taken your room, setup, etc as far as it can go, you can wring some extra performance by upgrading to premium cable. How much you want to invest and whether that difference is worth it to you is your choice alone.

If you don't want to spend money on premium wire for your system, so be it.

And what qualifies you to make this claim? How many high end audio products have you designed, built and brought successfully to market? If the answer is none, then I don't think this is a train you are qualified to drive either.

I've met a lot of people in the high end over the years and Caelin at Shunyata is very committed to product research and development. For what it's worth, I've been there to listen to his reference system and it is one of the most musical I've ever heard. I'd put his system squarely in the top ten best that I've had the pleasure to experience, with maniacal attention to detail.

First, you all bitch because even though you can hear differences between power cords, you need some science to "prove" it to you. Now that there is at least what I think is a reasonable effort in that direction, of course it's all pooh poohed by people like you, who claim to know better.

Personally, while I think power cords and cable are the icing on the cake in a good system, I still think it's the last thing you should ever spend serious money on until you've done everything else.

No one is putting a gun to your head to buy any of this stuff, and there are enough dealers that will offer home trial and/or your money back if you don't hear it/don't like it. So where is the harm in any of this?

But it's the same argument (and it's boring), you either don't have a resolving room/system/software, can't hear it or can't afford it, so your judgement is that it's bad or it doesn't exist.

A few years ago I handed the keys to my Mercedes E420 to a buddy of mine that drives a Camry and he said there was no difference. It's the same thing, but in his world, there was no difference because a car was merely something to go from A to B in. On the other hand, my 70 year old mother in law, just went from driving a Benz to a Camry because my father in law is on a frugal kick and she said to me at dinner the other day, "I hate that car, the Mercedes was much better."

Typically, if you are driven by performance (with anything) you tend to seek out more performance until you run out of time, patience, money or the ability to experience a meaningful difference, if you are pursuing something from an enthusiast perspective.

Whether it's a hifi or a fly fishing rod, the more time you spend with it, the more you get used to the performance available and if obsessed enough, try to get more. If you don't that's ok too. I think most people on this forum and hifi enthusiasts in general upgrade their systems until a point where it all feels "good enough". However, good enough for one person, may not be for another. That's where all the cable, etc comes in.

If you've taken your room, setup, etc as far as it can go, you can wring some extra performance by upgrading to premium cable. How much you want to invest and whether that difference is worth it to you is your choice alone.

If you don't want to spend money on premium wire for your system, so be it.

I agree with you 100%.

I'm not down with that. Have heard them demoed a number of times, couldn't hear a thing. I would not buy a set....

Now, about those wavy hat stands?

lol!!

I agree with tonepub.. I just think we should make a "recommended upgrade schedule"
for those of us wondering where we may find the next place to wring out a bit more performance. you senior members are much farther along then most so you know where the differences can be heard between upgrades. enlighten us!

Somewhere to start

1) Clean all contacts.

2) Make sure speaker azimuth angle is exactly the same for both speakers. Try panels set at 90 degrees. Move speakers out from the back wall as much as possible. 5' seems to be a good starting point.

3) Room treatment. Readjust speaker position accordingly.

4) Vibration control under all components and speakers.

5) Dedicated circuits for your audio gear.

6) IC's and power cords on your "source" component.

7) Same on preamp and then amp.

Hope that helps.

GG

Meticulously level your turntable if you've got one. I've seen more channel balance and tracking problems as a result of this often overlooked little thing and it will improve the sound a lot.

Best of all, it's free!

Gotta agree with TonePub, Gordon and even Beranrd. And if you read these posts closely you will see some very good advice on system upgrades and not all of them cost you money.......Okay most of them do, but if you do things incrementally as has been suggested, each step in the upgrade path can be kept cost effective and manageable.

Put me in the camp that can hear a difference between upgraded and stock power cords. Most if not all will give you a money back guarantee and if you can't hear then you don't pay, not sure how that can be constued as a bad thing.

Gotta agree with TonePub, Gordon and even Beranrd.
Joe, glad you agree with me even if you can't get my name right !

It's funny about some upgrades. Many years ago I spent a pile of money (okay, $200) replacing all of the caps in my DAC (a CAL Sigma) with Black Gates, and all of the diodes with Hexfreds. I listened to it extensively for a while but could not hear a difference, and just dismissed it as a waste of money. Then out of the blue several months later I realized that break in had taken place, and it was much better sounding.

OTOH when I replaced the cheap ALPS pot in my SP9 with a DACT stepped attenuator (also $200), I heard a huge improvement immediately.

Apart from one purchase on Audiogon, I have never bought any cable without first auditioning it in my system; my ML dealer is good that way. It pays to support your local dealer.

Back