Vantage Damage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necrosuit

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I sold my vantage and long story short, the buyer is claiming one non-working speaker. he claims it has static, fuzz and crackles at about 95-100 DB ( no tests). he claims he worked with ML tech support and they walked him through many tests including changing the black back panels and still the same result. I have listened to these for 8 months and recorded with mt SPL an average of 90-103 DB listening level and have never heard anything wrong with these. the buyer claims the boxes and speakers were in perfect condition uppon arrival. We are working together to try and figure it out but I am asking you guys for any thoughts or suggestions or direction on a matter like this to help at all. Also I video taped these speakers playing and my packing process in case of something like this (thank god), all thoughts on a possible answer would be great!

Sorry to hear. Buying/selling like this (without inspecting) is always fraught with danger.

It's a risk, but more of a risk on the buyer's part. Were they sold "AS IS" and "not responsible for further damage in transit"? Were they insured? Did the buyer organise freight? Did he refuse your offer of insurance? If any of these then you don't need to worry further.

If not then it gets complex.

Of course, the speaker can be damaged without damage to the box. Dropping it flat on the bottom (or dropping the pallet on which it is sitting) or subjecting it to extreme vibration will easily do that.

Certainly you've done the right thing by taking the video. Good luck!

Might be dumb question, but has he swapped them left to right and see if the problem followed? I'm in MD, so my speakers came from KS with no probs. Perhaps his gear has a faulty channel?

Gordon

Hey Gordon,
Yes hes been through all that with Dana from ML. I guess after all the gear swapping Dana had him change power supply's and back plates. So today I guess he is going to pull the panel and check the internal panel connections. If that fails then Dana says its the panel. Then let the UPS claims fun start.

Im not sure, but again I have a full video recording of these working before packing and the buyer can video them not working correctly after shipping. Dont know if that will fly, but its what we got.

he claims it has static, fuzz and crackles at about 95-100 DB ( no tests). he claims he worked with ML tech support and they walked him through many tests including changing the black back panels and still the same result.

What do you mean? Did ML send him a new plate amp or did he just swap it from the other speaker? And was this in just one speaker or both? Is he sure that his amp/receiver is capable of reaching those levels with the vantages? Could be the distortion he is hearing is due to clipping. Then again could be a case of buyer's remorse too! :devil:

What do you mean? Did ML send him a new plate amp or did he just swap it from the other speaker? And was this in just one speaker or both? Is he sure that his amp/receiver is capable of reaching those levels with the vantages? Could be the distortion he is hearing is due to clipping. Then again could be a case of buyer's remorse too! :devil:

Great question. Maybe he's using some crappy old receiver to drive them.

They had him switch the power supply and back plates from one to the other, then had him take off the panel and check the connections which were good, so Dana at ML says its the panel. The guy did send me video of it making the noise and its clear as day. Its only in one speaker. I will find out what gear he is using, but at this point I have agreed to pay for one panel replacement and try to get my money back from UPS, (good luck, I know).

They had him switch the power supply and back plates from one to the other, then had him take off the panel and check the connections which were good, so Dana at ML says its the panel. The guy did send me video of it making the noise and its clear as day. Its only in one speaker. I will find out what gear he is using, but at this point I have agreed to pay for one panel replacement and try to get my money back from UPS, (good luck, I know).

Did he try vacuuming the stators? Did he try looking for cracks in the upper and lower struts? How much is it for one stator these days?

Yes, he did the vacuum deal and I would hope he looked for cracks everywhere? In the video it really does sound like a cracked piece of plastic now that you mention it. New stator is $250

His gear is Marantz AV8003 Preamp/surround processor. Amp is Aragon 2007 200watt x7 ch amp. New stator has been ordered at my expense.

Necro, I know it cut into your cash to replace the panel. Hopefully you can get some recourse from the shipper. But on a totally different note, I think it admirable your doing what you are. As an observer, what your doing rises to a high level of character and I'd like to commend you and your folks for raising you in that manner. Take the peace that will come knowing you did the right thing, no matter the pain.

I'm an old, opinionated and crusty sob. I'd buy from you in a heartbeat.

Gordon

Agreed, integrity is getting to be a hard to find commodity. Kudos!

Thanks guys,

I treat folks like the way i want to be treated and actually care! Indeed a rare trait these days. And yes, I do feel good about my decisions diring this transaction and have made a friend out the whole ordeal. cheers.

Update:
Panel was replaced last week and the issue is resolved. So the panel was damaged in shipping. I had the buyer send the bad panel to me and it appears in mint condition. Im going to make it a modern wall mount unless I can run power to it and have some fun. :p

Update:
Panel was replaced last week and the issue is resolved. So the panel was damaged in shipping. I had the buyer send the bad panel to me and it appears in mint condition. Im going to make it a modern wall mount unless I can run power to it and have some fun. :p

So I guess I'm not alone here. I bought a pair of Vantage from a'gon two weeks ago. I finally get the chance to have them connected tonight and exactly same issue happened! At about 100db I started to hear this "static, fuzz and crackles" from both panels. :(

Here's the "bright" - hopefully, side about my story: both struts (top/middle) are damaged during shipping. A UPS freight inspector stopped by this afternoon confirmed my case...

Necrosuit, did you get full insured amount from your carrier or just the replacement cost?

Last edited:
I got no insurance at all! UPS said there was no pysical damage to be seen, so they would not give any money at all.

I got no insurance at all! UPS said there was no pysical damage to be seen, so they would not give any money at all.

Carriers are like that, you have to show proof of box damage for them to cover it. What that really means is they could put your package in a paint mixer and not be liable.

Sucks...but that's my understanding of it :(.

Latest posts

Back