Vac Pa 100/100 -vs- Cj Mv60se

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
As most of you know I'm putting together a 2 channel tube system. I have in place the CJ PV-14L tube pre. The questions is should I hold out for a CJ MV-60SE rated at 60 watts or go with a VAC PA 100/100 rated for 100 watts. Will the VAC be a goodd fit with the CJ? Should I hold out for the MV-60SE? Both will cost me about the same.

Thoughts?

Cherian

Attachments

• MV.jpg
    MV.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,968
  • PA.jpg
    PA.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,783
They are redesigning the CJ 60SE from what I understand. You may want to wait for the redesigned model....just a thought...

Cherian,

The CJ 60SE is based off of the EL34 design, but uses 6550 tubes. It has been touted to be a bit "brash" compared to the original CJ 60, but with better bass. Now, with that in mind, I know you're going to hook this up solely to the panel, so that will negate that bass "plus" that I just mentioned.

Now, the VAC PA100/100 has some bit of Class A triode input circuits from one of VAC's higher end models in addition to some KT88 topology. I don't think it can be run in triode, though. This is a piece that has been well received, but I think I prefer the CJ.

Probably the best combo for you would be the CJ MV60, non-SE. But, if you can't get a hold of one, I think I would rather wait and do it right.... get the CJ MV60SE.

Joey

Cherian, I have no doubt that the VAC piece is a quality amplifier, but I think I would lean toward matching a CJ amp with your CJ preamp. They go together soooo nice.

As most of you know I'm putting together a 2 channel tube system. I have in place the CJ PV-14L tube pre. The questions is should I hold out for a CJ MV-60SE rated at 60 watts or go with a VAC PA 100/100 rated for 100 watts. Will the VAC be a goodd fit with the CJ? Should I hold out for the MV-60SE? Both will cost me about the same.

Thoughts?

Cherian

CJ's house sound for amps has always struck me as softer and rounder than reality, whereas the VAC gear has always been more powerful sounding and dynamic to my ears. Which sound do you prefer? That is the question grasshopper.

CJ's house sound for amps has always struck me as softer and rounder than reality, whereas the VAC gear has always been more powerful sounding and dynamic to my ears. Which sound do you prefer? That is the question grasshopper.

That is very true for the old CJ gear of which the MV60 is part of.
The new LV 70 is a completely different animal, but twice as much money...

The VAC might have a little bit more giddyup. 60wpc is not a ton of power.

A real fun pair of amps used, though a little more on the dry side would be a nice pair of ARC Classic 120 monos. They are run in triode mode and about 120 wpc... You can usually get a set for about 2500 bucks. Used to have a pair, very nice for the money. But you are looking at 16 6550s or KT88's at retube time!

I agree with Jeff above that the newer CJ gear is a different animal. My Premier 140 stereo amp has tons of kick and dynamics to spare, while retaining that beautiful, liquid midrange. If you could spring the extra bucks for one of these amps, I would highly recommend it.

After thinking long and hard I have decided to go with the CJ MV-60SE. First, I feel tonally this amp will be a better fit with the CJ PV-14L pre. Second, astatically this will give me a beautiful matched system. I have to have eve candy as well as ear candy.

I will wait to find a good used MV-60SE. If anyone know of one for sale please drop me a line.

I will wait to find a good used MV-60SE. If anyone know of one for sale please drop me a line.

I will make your MV60se a part of my daily search on audiogon. I'll let you know if I see anything.

I'll keep my eyes open as well. If you get your hands on the 6550 version instead of the EL-34 version and find it just a bit on the grainy side, (You may like the 6550 version just fine, it's still excellent) hunt down a set of vintage NOS GE or TUNG SOL 6550s. They will last 2-3 times as long as the Chinese/Russian tubes and are very liquid sounding.

Bad news is they are now about 150 a pop!

Either way, enjoy!

I'll keep my eyes open as well. If you get your hands on the 6550 version instead of the EL-34 version and find it just a bit on the grainy side, (You may like the 6550 version just fine, it's still excellent) hunt down a set of vintage NOS GE or TUNG SOL 6550s. They will last 2-3 times as long as the Chinese/Russian tubes and are very liquid sounding.

Bad news is they are now about 150 a pop!

Either way, enjoy!

Yup, just as I mentioned above, 6550 have been reported to be "grainy". We'll keep our eyes peeled for a MV60se and hope its the EL34 for ya, Cherian.

Great News I just paid for a Conrad Johnson MV60. I should get it in a week or so. :music: :rocker: Can't wait!!! My 2 channel system is coming together.

I got the MV60 not the MV60SE. I got the EL34 based unit. From people I have chatted with this is a more musical amp.

Im in CJ bliss. WOW what a great combo. It is all coming together.

Attachments

• cj1.JPG
    cj1.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 327
  • cj2.JPG
    cj2.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 341
Lookin' sweet Cherian ! I suspect Joey's "analogitis" will be next ?? !!

There is doubt about CJ's warm , seductive sound, it does draw you in for sure !

Cherian,

Now I found your post about your new amp and the full set of tubes from source to amp..... wow!

Yes, like you said today at the Wayne's, you've got waaaay more glass than I do in my system. I would like to listen to your system again someday. You're coming over also someday soon.

I just need to get this TT ironed out first....

Back