Upgrade from Montis to ESL 13a?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpokuls

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anybody done the upgrade from Montis to Expressions ESL 13A?

I currently own Montis but have had the opportunity to listen to the ESL 13a at a Best Buy / Magnolia store. They
sounded pretty good.

Just curious if others think that they are worth the extra cost.

Hi,

I currently own Montis but have had the opportunity to listen to the ESL 13a at a Best Buy / Magnolia store. They
sounded pretty good.

No but the 13A is a big improvement over the Summit. I heard used Summits at a couple of showrooms and 13A at another. After buying the 13As I found they didn't suit my room so they are for sale - a few months old and 100% perfect. Pity you're not in UK! Peter

No but the 13A is a big improvement over the Summit. I heard used Summits at a couple of showrooms and 13A at another. After buying the 13As I found they didn't suit my room so they are for sale - a few months old and 100% perfect. Pity you're not in UK! Peter

Yes, I remember reading your thread in this Forum about trying to get the 13a speakers to sound right. Yeah, I live in Syracuse, NY, otherwise, I might have taken them off your hands.

While I have not done the upgrade you speak of I previously owned Spire's, moved to Revel Studio 2's a couple years back. After that move I listened to the 13a's @ Overture in Wilmington, De and was very impressed. If I were to move back to Logan tomorrow it would be without question into a pair of 13a's.

Hi,

sounded pretty good.

I have moved up from Summit X's to the 13's with it being certainly noticeably and worth it. I would think from Montis to 13's will be HUGE. The bass improvement alone is a lot but once you add the ARC adjustment its really not even a fair comparison. If you could actually hear a demo you would know in a few seconds that the 13's are superior in every way.

Last edited:
I have moved up from Summit X's to the 13's with it being certainly noticeably and worth it. I would think from Montis to 13's will be HUGE. The bass improvement alone is a lot but once you add the ARC adjustment its really not even a fair comparison. If you could actually hear a demo you would know in a few seconds that the 13's are superior in every way.

I actually did listen to a pair at a Best Buy / Magnolia store. The soundstage was pretty spectacular and the bass of course was way better than my Montis'.

Even my wife said that the 13a sounded "50%" better than the Montis. She reduced that to only 25% better when I started making noises about buying them.

Can anyone comment on the experiences of ESL 13A compared to CLX Art?

This is like comparing apples and oranges. The CLX is just so much better then the 13. First off and most dramatic is the CLX has much more we all are drawn to ML that being much more a full electrostatic panel. I also auditioned plus have 2 personal reports of others buying the CLX over the 15. Why ML stopped selling the CLX Is still a mystery and just plain stupid. They are a company known for electrostatic speakers with only hybrid speakers now pretty sad. Don’t get me wrong I owned the Summit X and the 13 is far superior but does come up way way short comparing it to the CLX.

Thank you for your answers! I guess it is wise to keep my CLX 25! Yes, strange that ML stopped the production but they may have been to expensive to produce and maybe to hard to sell.

Back