update to my system now after returning Ethos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatancdan

Reaction score
After returning Ethos to stereo shop I work at, I ordered a new pair of Spires as they are clearing out at lower price due to new Montis. The Spires arrived today and in some ways disappointed with sound of these Spires compared to Ethos:confused:

Highs, mids much brighter - almost glare to sound + bass response is not as good right now. I understand bass not being good right now ( woofers too new and stiff requiring break in )

I always thought having larger panel area would mean better highs + mids as crossover point is lower 340 hz + 44" x 11.3" panel.

Does the 24-bit Vojtko DSP engine make so much difference that Ethos mids, highs now be better than Spires.

From what I understood thought basic specs of Montis & Spires to be exactly the same except for the 24 bit DSP engine + class D amps for woofers.

Will the brightness, hardness disappear with speakers breaking in? Actually worried at this moment as sound of these not what I expected.

Dan

I had Spires brand new and they too were very edgy and sharp at first,Same as my CLX and after time they all smoothed out. you have to give these speakers 2-300 hours of full breakin before you can really judge. I have not heard the Ethos but may be getting a pair over the winter.

Hola. You have to put a least 50 hours of use, to start to get some of the ML magic. You lived with the Ethos 15 days, so, please wait these 15 days and listen to the magic transformation for good. Happy listening,
R.

Roberto , yes you are right. The Ethos belonged to owner of stereo shop and were almost a year old when I borrowed them for the 2 weeks. Guess after Ethos sounding so good , somehow I expected Spires to sound better right away.
I felt that the Montis is not worth the $3000 more I would have to pay over the Spires. Not sure if DSP processing makes big enough change. Never been fan of class D amplifiers. Can not find info of what type of amplifier used in subwoofer amplifier in Spire or Summits. btw was Spire released after the CLX?

Been working in stereo shop same dealer since 1986 and just forget how important break in period is.

Dan

Last edited:
Leave em on even when your not home that's what I did,
it also breaks the neighbors in....

Thanks Bill, I realize it will take time for these to sound their best....just hard to listen to in right now as I find them bright and hard sounding....

There are class D amplifiers, and high end class D amps, that are used in Bel Canto, Audio Research, and Bang and Olufsen (ML uses these digital amps with a special mod for bass in all models, starting with the Vantages and ending with the Summits X.) At the begining, I did not like the digital amps, but with the time of new circuit topologies and design, they had became in another option for amplifiers. I really like the digital amps Class D on these days. Happy listening and enjoy your new Spires... they really worth any penny. Sooner you will be re-discovering all your cds again. Things that you never heard before, now you will.

There are class D amplifiers, and high end class D amps, that are used in Bel Canto, Audio Research, and Bang and Olufsen (ML uses these digital amps with a special mod for bass in all models, starting with the Vantages and ending with the Summits X.) At the begining, I did not like the digital amps, but with the time of new circuit topologies and design, they had became in another option for amplifiers. I really like the digital amps Class D on these days. Happy listening and enjoy your new Spires... they really worth any penny. Sooner you will be re-discovering all your cds again. Things that you never heard before, now you will.

Curious ...Roberto would you choose same Spires over the Ethos?

Dan

Difficult question, all depends of the room and the electronics. Ethos is a great espeaker too, but I really think that the Spires offers more transparency and less sound compression. Bigger panel with the same tech to my ears it is better. On the other hand, a 10" woofer vs 8" woofer with a pasive radiatior... I choose the 10", just because I like it better with my type of music. Mostly is listen to jazz and classic music. The Ethos is a little bit more muddy, again, to my ears and liking. The Ethos is a step below the Spires, and it is a great speaker! Listen to "Flamenco" by Pepe Romero, the second track. There is a guitar that it is front of you, a little bit the the left, and a huge stage. with a flamento dancer tapping the floor. Both are great, but the Spires made to my ears a better sound stage, with a huge 3D. I did not get the same huge 3D with the Ethos, even that is was clean and transparent. The sound of the Spires was effortless, and better less stressed with the guitar's strings. I got more inner detail and got more life like with the Spires...the air between the strings and the real size of the guitar, gave me goose bumps. You can tell that he is using Savarez strings, and his guitar is a Ramirez!! ... just my 2 cents...this is my liking and not necessary yours. I wish you a very happy listening!

Difficult question, all depends of the room and the electronics. Ethos is a great espeaker too, but I really think that the Spires offers more transparency and less sound compression. Bigger panel with the same tech to my ears it is better. On the other hand, a 10" woofer vs 8" woofer with a pasive radiatior... I choose the 10", just because I like it better with my type of music. Mostly is listen to jazz and classic music. The Ethos is a little bit more muddy, again, to my ears and liking. The Ethos is a step below the Spires, and it is a great speaker! Listen to "Flamenco" by Pepe Romero, the second track. There is a guitar that it is front of you, a little bit the the left, and a huge stage. with a flamento dancer tapping the floor. Both are great, but the Spires made to my ears a better sound stage, with a huge 3D. I did not get the same huge 3D with the Ethos, even that is was clean and transparent. The sound of the Spires was effortless, and better less stressed with the guitar's strings. I got more inner detail and got more life like with the Spires...the air between the strings and the real size of the guitar, gave me goose bumps. You can tell that he is using Savarez strings, and his guitar is a Ramirez!! ... just my 2 cents...this is my liking and not necessary yours. I wish you a very happy listening!

This is second day so far with these Spires and when I left to work - left them playing on day from radio station. I prefer the 10" woofer as well and not been big fan of passive driver being used. If I am correct panel size is same in Spire, Montis, and Summit X. Seems the differences are the bass sections of all these speakers. My room is on the small side 10ft X 20 ft so not likely that CLX would work very well. Bass is so good that I packed up the Velodyne subwoofer.

Always wanted biggest panel size available:bowdown: . I feel I made the right choice :rocker::rocker::rocker:

Dan

Hey Roberto, you are quite the connoisseur, being able to identify the make of strings.

Reading your post I went on a wild goose chase. I vaguely remember owning the album to which you referred, so I looked for it and found it. I was amazed at how staccato the guitar on the left was, but couldn't quite fit in your description. Then on the LP I saw that there is an album called "Flamenco" by Pepe Romero whereas what I have is "An Evening of Flamenco With the Romeros".

Flamenco> Pepe Romero: guitar, cante: Chano Lobato, Dancer: Maria Magdalena, Dancer: Paco Romero. This is a cd recording Orignal Master Tape NO. LIM K2 022 (Original Philips). The 2nd track is Zapateado, were Paco Romero is the dancer and Pepe Romero is the guitar player.

Attachments

• pepe romero007.jpg
    pepe romero007.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 377
I had the dealer's broken-in Ethos on loan for two weeks before ordering the Spires, and my experience is quote the opposite - the Ethos raised concerns that the Spires resolved. My report is here (see the end). The bass shyness is just a matter of waiting, as indicated in the manual.

I had the dealer's broken-in Ethos on loan for two weeks before ordering the Spires, and my experience is quote the opposite - the Ethos raised concerns that the Spires resolved. My report is here (see the end). The bass shyness is just a matter of waiting, as indicated in the manual.

I agree with you regarding not liking passive driver in Ethos, and already some of brightness / hardness is starting to disappear.

Dan

This is second day so far with these Spires and when I left to work My room is on the small side 10ft X 20 ft so not likely that CLX would work very well.
Dan

Dan, not only would the CLX not be optimized in that size room, as we have heard from another forum member with Spire's and the same size room, placement and associated accoustic treatments are critical.

As a Spire owner going on three years now, paitence with set up as mentioned above and 50-100 hrs of run-in (300 hrs needed is bogus) will yield you with 'sonic bliss'

Back