Tweeter to close a third of it's stores!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Hot off the presses... http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8O0SV100.htm

Per this article, Tweeters is restructuring "to target customers who want high-end audio and video systems and custom installation, company officials said Wednesday."

Sounds like they are giving up on competing with the big box BB and CC price points. This might bode well for more ML exposure and sales, but perhaps not.

The article says "closing all 12 of its California stores, its six stores in Alabama and Tennessee and six of nine stores in Georgia... Tweeter also will close eight stores in Texas, four stores in Illinois, four in Massachusetts, three in Connecticut, two in New York and one each in Florida, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and North Carolina."

I bet some great deals can be had at those stores that are closing!

My Tweeter sales guy called me up last night within the hour after hearing this news. As you said, he indicated some great sales on floor models. My search for a sub-woofer may have ended. I got my sites on a Descent sub-woofer floor model. Also, my eye is on a Krell KAV-400xi integrated amp and KAV SACD Standard CD player. Let the fun begin as vultures like me lurk the store over. :D

A lot of their stores were crap anyway. Best to cull the dead weight and focus resources on fewer stores.

A lot of their stores were crap anyway. Best to cull the dead weight and focus resources on fewer stores.

You wouldn't say that if you or someone you cared about worked at one of those stores.

You wouldn't say that if you or someone you cared about worked at one of those stores.

I didn't meant to sound callous. Tweeter, as a corporation, either didn't have the resources or the interest in making sure that their stores were set up and run properly.

It definitely isn't a good thing that 1000 people or so that are losing their jobs. I certainly don't blame them for not getting appropriate direction from corporate HQ.

My comment was simply to say that the other 2/3 will be better off IF Tweeter makes them better by not having to spread their resources as thinly as before.

Tweeter was charging (at times) a premium at their stores and weren't returning an improved experience over places like Best Buy.

No, I'm sorry. I know what you meant, and its similar to something I might have said in another situation. I don't disagree. This one just hit close to home as my wife works for Tweeter (a store that isn't closing).

And at the risk of sounding "classist", the "high-end" audio market in Alabama, Georgia, and Tennesee have got to be pretty small anyway (compared to places like NY, NC, VA, MD, etc) so although it will hurt those audiophiles in those states, it will let the chain focus on it's more profitable locations, and hopefully get better selection and service to it's customers.

Hopefully the Tweeters in the DC/MD/VA will benefit fromt his restructure. I've been to most of them, and there's only one (in Manassas VA) that I've seen that had a decent selection of gear and knowledgeable, helpful staff...

--Richard

Last edited:

Nothing personal, I know your wife works their, but I for one say they deserve it , for the simple fact that hands down, the majority of Tweeters that I have been to around this country are HORRIBLE !!!

Example......... they just opened last fall a new one on Rte 202, north of Wilmington, De and the pre-opening hype was how great their new "sound" rooms would be....NOT !! there sit the Summitt's cramned in a room with dozens of other speakers firing away at glass (floor-to-cieling) windows !!

Besides they have some bubble gum chewing 'Bimbet' who pretends to be the 'conciegre' (I'm sure I screwed that spelling up !) that didn't even know what I meant when I said, "hello, I'm here to take a look at the Martin Logans" !!

I'm sure there are a couple of 'decent' stores , but to me they are barely above a Circuit City, and besides I have NEVER met a sales person that knew a 'standing wave' (audio term) from the one you do at a Sporting event.

I'm done ranting.....good riddens !!

Last edited:
Well, anyway, Sleepysurf's hint about watching for great deals to be made at the closing stores is very important, methinks, especially for all the newcomers to this site, in search of a ML setup. What I don't fully understand is what happens if you buy your ML's at a sale - say for example in California - and 3 months later have a problem with them.

I would buy ML's anyway, that's another story... the nearest thing we got over here are the Mediamarkt stores, selling just about anything that sports a on/off button, totally incompetent sales assistants and only consumer stuff.

I'm happy to know that you all might get some deals !!

I had a long post typed out but I deleted it. I have too much conflict of interest in this thread.

No, I'm sorry. I know what you meant, and its similar to something I might have said in another situation. I don't disagree. This one just hit close to home as my wife works for Tweeter (a store that isn't closing).

You never like the see/hear that happening to a company that employs a relative.

I have to say that our Austin store (it was just closed a month or so ago) NEVER was much to see. The people that worked at that location were not really into it and did not know much about what they were selling (hard to do since they have so many ...too many maybe... products). I went there many times and always felt like I might as well be at the CC or BB just down the street...

I hope the store your wife works at stays open and has exceptional service!

Oh, the "deals" at the store that closed here, were NOTHING to write home about. In fact they were hardly better than what a sales price might be and not as good as you could find on brand new gear online!

disocarp-
this is not directed to you or your wife. I must say that my experience there as well was not a good one. I found often that the sales staff were just promoted from the car stereo side. They knew nothing. What a joke. I must say though, I don't like seeing anyone loose there jobs and the economy suffer. Other then that, good. Bring on the little stereo store any day.

disocarp-
this is not directed to you or your wife. I must say that my experience there as well was not a good one. I found often that the sales staff were just promoted from the car stereo side. They knew nothing.

I have had better luck at the Magnolia section of Best Buy stores. I agree w/ jtwrace though, I hate seeing folks loose their jobs because of poor decisions by management.

Everyone, I know none of this is directed at me or my wife. No personal offense taken, and I agree with a lot (but not all) of your points.

I'm still likely to get personally upset if I continue too much with this thread though. Its best I leave it alone. I probably should have just stayed out to start with. :)

Everyone, I know none of this is directed at me or my wife. No personal offense taken, and I agree with a lot (but not all) of your points.

I'm still likely to get personally upset if I continue too much with this thread though. Its best I leave it alone. I probably should have just stayed out to start with. :)

Discocarp,

I truly hope the best for you and your wife.

And although I agree with alot on this thread, I'll admit it was Tweeter that got me started on MLs, so I have to give them props for that. It's difficult for a budding audiophile on a budget to find the proper hi-end store for him/her.... it's a lot easier to walk into a more mass-market store like Tweeter and spinning some silver discs on systems that are respectable, if not in the truest audiophile sense.

Joey

I am devastated! I just read the press release and it looks like all the Dallas area stores are closing. I liked the Caruth Plaza store and bought all of my MLs from there (or its earlier iteration-Home Entertainment). They were nice folks and really cared about their customers. They knew some of their clients were audiophiles on a budget and always responded positively to constructive criticism of their setups. I feel sad for the employees and their families.

Nothing personal, I know your wife works their, but I for one say they deserve it , for the simple fact that hands down, the majority of Tweeters that I have been to around this country are HORRIBLE !!!

Example......... they just opened last fall a new one on Rte 202, north of Wilmington, De and the pre-opening hype was how great their new "sound" rooms would be....NOT !! there sit the Summitt's cramned in a room with dozens of other speakers firing away at glass (floor-to-cieling) windows !!

Besides they have some bubble gum chewing 'Bimbet' who pretends to be the 'conciegre' (I'm sure I screwed that spelling up !) that didn't even now what I meant when I said, "hello, I'm here to take a look at the Martin Logans" !!

I'm sure there are a couple of 'decent' stores , but to me they are barely above a Circuit City, and besides I have NEVER met a sales person that knew a 'standing wave' (audio term) from the one you do at a Sporting event.

I'm done ranting.....good riddens !!

Dave,

You should come with me to the Tweeter here in Columbia.

I'd likely have to get you drunk after we visit...

I have a cure for what ails ya, Dave. A trip to Overture!!!

:)

Erik

And at the risk of sounding "classist", the "high-end" audio market in Alabama, Georgia, and Tennesee have got to be pretty small anyway (compared to places like NY, NC, VA, MD, etc) so although it will hurt those audiophiles in those states, it will let the chain focus on it's more profitable locations, and hopefully get better selection and service to it's customers.

Hopefully the Tweeters in the DC/MD/VA will benefit fromt his restructure. I've been to most of them, and there's only one (in Manassas VA) that I've seen that had a decent selection of gear and knowledgeable, helpful staff...

--Richard

Hum, the north Atlanta Metro area is extremely affluent and large, which is reflected in six GA stores staying open. Lot's of ML's are moved there, including some sold to me, and some my friends and acquaintances have bought on my recommendation.

I think this is a positive thing for ML. If they can distance themselves from the big box stores, then all the better for them (and us, long term).

Which ML models does tweeter normal carry on their show floor? I will be calling the Katy store since my rents live next to it :rocker:

Latest posts

Back