Toe in rear speakers question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

velcro22

Gents

Because of the geometry of my room and spousal fact, my rear speakers are sitting about 30 degrees past the 90 degree mark from the listening position. (LP) So I have to angle them a bit toward the listening position. My question is which way should I bias them, with the intersection in front of the LP or to the rear?

Thanks

Al

velcro22 said:
Gents

Because of the geometry of my room and spousal fact, my rear speakers are sitting about 30 degrees past the 90 degree mark from the listening position. (LP) So I have to angle them a bit toward the listening position. My question is which way should I bias them, with the intersection in front of the LP or to the rear?

Thanks

Al
Hola Al...this is a matter of your taste and liking. There are general rules to follwow, but sometimes it is impossible to do what it is recommended, so my advise is: 1) trust your ears 2) Experiment with different positions 3) Choose the one that you like most 4) Enjoy!!! Remember that when you are listening to a concert hall, the rear speakers are for effects only and should not, by any circunstance hear any music notes, only reflexions of music. The musicians must be at the stage in front of you. You should get clapping hands and ambient of the room. Don´t use too much level at rear, normally we try to listen something all the time from the rear speakers, and this is a wrong setting.
Hope this can help...happy listening,
Roberto.

velcro22 said:

And ladies.... :)

Because of the geometry of my room and spousal fact, my rear speakers are sitting about 30 degrees past the 90 degree mark from the listening position.

Here is a link from DOLBY Web Site on speaker positioning...

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

While we ALL would like to have the PERFECT placement, sometimes we cannot. Try to get as close as you can, then go from there. You are on the right track with the slight toe in to put the speaker facing the seating positions - not in front or behind. This is what I use and it works well for me :rolleyes: in a bunch of testing. But as Roberto states, try things out and find what you like the best

Dan

Back