To chrome plate the panel frame?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heuboda

Reaction score
Hi,

is there anybody who dismantled the electrostatic panel on the Summit (X)?
Would be interesting to chrome plate just the panel frame.
It is terrible expensive when you order the speakers with chrome plated frames at Martin Logan. What you think?

Gunter

Do you really want to pay the already steep price you probably pay in Austria for a Summit X and then modify the speaker, voiding the warranty ?

Hello Bernard,

that of course is my biggest concern, to loos the warranty. Especially when you have 10 years warranty like I have on the Summit X.
From the technical side I guess it would not be a big problem to chrome plate the frame.

Hello Bernard,

that of course is my biggest concern, to loos the warranty. Especially when you have 10 years warranty like I have on the Summit X.
From the technical side I guess it would not be a big problem to chrome plate the frame.

It should not be a big deal to disassemble the AirFrame and pull off the panel, leaving you with just the AirFrame components that can be plated. Just ensure the plating does not affect the tolerances of re-inserting the panel back into the groove for it.
There is no 'technical' impact to plating or re-painting frames (as long as they are done 'off speaker'. The frame is a mechanical support and not a functional component of the unit. The panel on the other hand, should not be messed with.

If I get AirFrame based units in the future, I'd not hesitate to pull the frame off and re-paint (or plate).

Not sure if that voids the warranty either, as you are not modifying the speaker components per se. At least no more than if you put a decal on the woofer box.

The key is the care in dis-assembly and re-assembly to get everything right, so ensure you have step-by-step guides and take plenty of pics during the dis-assembly.

Hello Jonathan,

thank you for your ideas. Well I will first ask Audio Components which is the distributor of ML loudspeaker if I would loose the warranty.
But I am sure I know the answer. It is not so important to chrome plate the frame, but to my chrome plated tube amps it would look nice.
Thanks you,

Gunter

Latest posts

Back